Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most depressing song you know?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
"Kilkelly, Ireland," written by Steven and Peter Jones. You can find Robbie O'Connell's rendition on YouTube. Always good for a lump in the throat or three.

I used to sing that song many years ago and constantly got into trouble because having said lump in your throat while trying to sing is somewhat counterproductive...

The lyrics are indeed very poignant and depressing, especially considering that they were actually based on a series of letters a father in Ireland had sent to his son who had immigrated to America, spanning some thirty years. To this very day it gives me the lump in the throat every time I listen to it (I no longer try to sing it).

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Englebert Humperdink and Please Release me. How could anyone find that a romantic song? Was it meant to be romantic? Lots of women went wild over him so maybe were not listening to the words.
I once said to a girl I was seeing, listen to this, its fantastic Will You by Hazel O'connor. "Do you know what its about?" she asked "No but its got a great sax break near the end I replied. "Well it's about a guy having an affair" she replied coldly

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
And both performed by the same artist (which, I believe, they were: Billie Holiday).

Yes strange fruit, about lynchings I think. Unfortunately her voice has me reaching for the sleeping pills already, Billie Holiday even makes a happy song sound like she is crying

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Sit down some night with a stack of Vernon Dalhart records and you'll find plenty of tearjerkers:

"Please Mr. Conductor
Don't put me off of this train
The best friend I have in this world sir
Is waiting for me in pain
Expecting to die any moment sir
And may not live through the day
I wanna reach home and kiss mother goodbye
Before God takes her away"

"You little ba***rd that's the sixth time you tried that gag this year. I don't allow no deadheads on my line and you know it. Now get off this coach before I throw you off."

cklos

Banned
You win?.......wrong! (In my opinion anyway) Just some common, popular songs that have you beat...."Hurt" (Johnny Cash cover of a Nine Inch Nails song) "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" (Gordon Lightfoot) and "Comfortably Numb" (Pink Floyd)
Just to prove that I win:

[video=youtube_share;3YTgwY1Ld5s]http://youtu.be/3YTgwY1Ld5s[/video]

I made the mistake of listening to it before posting and now I'm all depressed... :eeek:

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
One song I find depressing, yet at the same time can't help but love is Irving Berlin's What'll I do?. I'll agree with Lizzie Maine on Gloomy Sunday. The first time I heard the song it was the rendition by Paul Whiteman and Johnny Hauser. I loved the music, until I heard the lyrics. Strange Fruit is another on my Top 10 Depressing Songs list.

scooter

Practically Family
Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", especially knowing the story behind it.

Another that troubled me for years and years was "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". I remember hearing it on the day my beloved grandfather was laid to rest. It still gives me pause decades later.

Last edited:
The video makes it even harder. You can see how concerned June looks for Johnny and he looks so old; that alone can bring tears to a glass eye.

Cash was a childhood hero for me, but I never thought of him like this. I thought of him as the man on his album covers, and the man singing as San Quentin. Seeing him near the end just tore me up inside.

The video makes it even harder. You can see how concerned June looks for Johnny and he looks so old; that alone can bring tears to a glass eye.

Cash was a childhood hero for me, but I never thought of him like this. I thought of him as the man on his album covers, and the man singing as San Quentin. Seeing him near the end just tore me up inside.

And in the end June went first. Isn't that always the way it is? The one who worries ends up going first.

I know what you mean his rendition of that song just blows you out of the water. He becomes the song. After his daughter saw the video, she told Johnny that it sounded like his eulogy. He said it was. He was gone soon after that---perhaps he was more right than he knew.

Gene

Practically Family
"To drop the flesh off of the frame
the earth and worms both have a claim."

[video=youtube;KIYNoH99Guc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYNoH99Guc[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner