Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth Question

MattC

A-List Customer
I just bought a fairly old Mallory C crown off ebay. Its a great cream color, double bow, wind string, nice liner. It has moth damage; a few divots. Only two are really noticable (and I am pretty picky about these things). One is on the underside of the brim in front, so its not a problem. The other is on the back of the crown. It looks like a small dark spot, but when you look close its a bite. The other bits of damage you can't see unless you look very hard. So I can wear it as is, but the spot in back annoys me (an ebay "excellent condition" but it was pretty cheap). Anything I can do to minimize it? Should I just send it to Art or Graham? Or should I just live with it. Advice gladly taken. (BTW, I almost always ask; forget why I didn't but maybe I'm glad I didn't. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known, and it really is a nice hat).

Flick

Practically Family
From everything I have read, moth holes are somewhat repairable. The trick as I understand it, but have never done is to scrape some felt off the inside of the hat, and carefully glue it into the moth divot/hole. Once the glue is dry, carefully sand the area wih fine 300 plus sandpaper. From what I understand (have read) there is no guarantee that the spot will not show up as a repaired spot, much like the original divot/hole...but filled in.

I have a similar quandry. I bought a 'excellent' Stetson Open Road hat from ebay, and when I received it, it looked as if it had never been worn, except here were a least wih a quick count 24 moth divots in it. Way too many divots to even contemplate repairing. I emailed the seller and stated that this was not acceptable. He emailed back and offered me a small sum of about 1/3 the purchase price back, or the entire amount minus $5 for the return. He stated he never saw the divots. I told him this was not acceptable and that I wanted the entire amount back including shipping cost because he misrepresented the hat in the auction. I am still waiting his reply. I have lots of work hats, and do not need another one for the price I paid.

I have bought lots of hats from ebay, and this is the first motheaten one I have received.

Anyone with a similar experience? Or any advice would be helpfull.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Moth Problem

Flick's right. I had an old favorite Open Road with a couple of 'nibbles' as eBay sellers often say, and I scratched up some felt and smoothed it into the divots. Quite frankly, I used a little spit for glue and it seemed to work! Holes are not visible.
Frank

MattC

A-List Customer
More moth

How do you "scape" a little off the inside? With a knife? Can you be sure there aren't any more moth eggs on a hat like this (its the eggs that do the damage). Does steaming make it certain?

Many thanks for the help.

MattC said:
How do you "scape" a little off the inside? With a knife? Can you be sure there aren't any more moth eggs on a hat like this (its the eggs that do the damage). Does steaming make it certain?

You really do not scrape it. You take a piece of fine sandpaper and get some off of it that way. I usually do this on the underside of the brim. 200-300 grit should give you enough to fill most holes. Make sure you do not leave a noticeable spot. This usually means going over the entire underside of the brim---lightly. ;)
To get rid of the rest of the eggs or what-have-you, put the hat either in a plastic bag or the box it came in with three or four moth balls. Don't let the moth balls touch the hat. Some put the mothballs in cheesecloth so this won't occur and it still works fine. Leave the hat in the box or bag for two weeks (some say three weeks). That should fumigate them and kill them all. Works for me anyway. :)

Regards to all,

J

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
The ice man cometh

How about putting them in the freezer for a couple of weeks? No smell, no fuss, dead eggs. I hope!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR