Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motherhood & the Vintage Lifestyle

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Ruby, I think you look adorable! But if you like 1950s clothing you may want to condsider the smock. I'm making one right now, not because I'm pregnant, but because I plan to hit the buffet in Vegas this year. Need room for the food baby, you know. You can wear cute little smocks with maternity capris and pencil skirts while never even thinking about pumps, stockings or garters. You can also sport a rosie scarf and not have to worry about perfect rolls. My smock is going to be navy blue with red dots, and I'll wear it with a red skirt and navy flats.

Do you sew?

Here are some patterns:

78_1.JPG

B9739.jpg

McCalls4106.jpg

wibblebird

New in Town
I have a 10 1/2 month-old son. Even when I was hugely pregnant, spending the time on making myself up didn't make me feel much better, so I just let it go. I decided comfort was better than style. I lived in my stretchy waist jeans, and the only nod to vintage I took was a 50's-esque cuff on my stretchy jeans and a plain black T-shirt. Or red. I had only two shirts towards the end the fully covered my belly. Throwing on lipstick became the "finished" look.

When my little Baby Finn came, the first three months were such a blur that I had no thoughts about hair, makeup, etc. I made sure I showered daily, that's about it. And never once worried about it. Clothes - well, none of my clothes fit anyway. I even almost answered the door to the UPS man one day with my breast hanging out after a feeding (luckily I remembered I was exposed at the last minute. Dressing up meant puttin on some red lipstick and brushing my hair (which got cut in a Louise Brooks bob). I doubt in the first few weeks you'll even care much about grooming.

Eventually, you, the little one, and your husband will develop a routine where everyone is taken care of. You'll get the time you need to look the way you wish. (Although, for the first few months, I second the apron suggestion. I wish I'd have thought of that)

P.S. And may I recommend laying in a supply of toddler-sized cloth diaper for burp cloths? Some nice, cottony prefolds. Even if you never use them as diapers, they're indispensible as burp cloths, emergency blankets, etc.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
I was lucky enough to score some "vintage inspired" dresses from the maternity store while I was pregnant.

but I really gaveup all that for a while. I was just glad to shower.
But I MADE it a point to shower and put make up on every day no matter what So that I would feel good about myself.
clothes were another story, jeans and a fitted teeshirt.

and breast feeding is hard in vintage.
button front blouses are about the only thing youcan bfeed in that is Vintage......
my son is almost one, and only nurses once a day, so I can get away with wearing my old dresses again!
:)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Ruby, you are correct, thanks for the bump! It is nice to know that we have so many moms as resources here! I feel like I am in good company :D

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Everyone's been so helpful to me and completely understanding if I fall a bit off of the vintage style wagon.
Dash is 3 months old now and like Exquisitebones I feel lucky to shower everyday. I am challenging myself to wear one piece of vintage inspiration to work,but I'm definitely dressing much more modern than usual.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
When I was pregant I lost all sence of who I was. I felt I had this thing growing inside of me that was taking over my body. After I had my daughter I gat a better sence of my self and fit her in to my life. Now, she's eight and the way you carry yourself and your attitude towards yourself really do infuence your offspring. She has very good self-esteem and could care less what other people thing. She wears vintage pattern clothing that I make for her. We were shopping and she said she rather wear a dress I made than us buy one. Now that I have totally rambled on I will stop.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie - Thanks! The hubby took it while out hiking. He takes great pictures of me! I turned around on the trail to look at him, and the sun lit my face that way, and he took the picture. I thought it was interesting :eek:

I wear a lot of classic, vintage-inspired modern clothing. I love sweater sets and wide leg pants. Full skirts are so comfortable to wear, too. While I would love to have more vintage hair, combs are about it for me. So I hope to be able to incorporate this style into my maternity and post-maternity clothing. It may be more difficult with the maternity, but I have hope for Target :) I saw a very cute madras plaid sun dress there the other day that was pretty classic. If only I were showing I would have snapped it up!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
goldleaf, i see a ton of cute gingham tops in the maternity section at the thriftstore i work in - very vintage-y! we actually get some really nice stuff in, since it wasn't worn for very long. i know some baby resale shops carry maternity wear too!

and i love your hiking pic - i always look like a sweaty monster in mine though ;)

celticmom

New in Town
ohairas said:
Ruby I also wanted to encourage you to take some photos of your full term pregnancy and make a belly cast, it was so much fun!

Here's my prego pic in vintage clothing,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343338487/photo/294928803642673559/44

And my bellycast,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343338487/photo/294928803642670287/34

I bought my supplies at Michael's craft store, but here's a site,
http://www.proudbody.com/bellycastgallery.htm

Nikki

Beautiful pic! I agree definately get some full term pregnancy pictures. You'll be glad you did. I did a session with a maternity photographer when I was pregnant with Honor. I thought she would be my last and I wanted pics - didn't know I was going to have two more. I'm glad I did them then.

Belly casts are fun. My doula did mine. Here's two of them (I don't have the third one back yet). The tiny one is a bum cast. You could do a vintage inspired belly cast!

2casts.jpg

My youngest is 8 months tomorrow. I'm just now getting to where I can take a few extra minutes to do more that just basic, don't scare the folks at the store, makeup and such.

badleekitty

New in Town
congrats!

It does get easier once you get the hang of it. I always remember love watching my Grandma getting herself all glam. Now I get to have my kids enjoy the same thing. They love watching me getting ready ...fixing hair and makeup. Especially my daughter I love when she tells me "mommy you are so glamorous". She always tells me to make sure I save all my vintage stuff for her so she can wear them when she grows up.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
badleekitty said:
congrats!

It does get easier once you get the hang of it. I always remember love watching my Grandma getting herself all glam. Now I get to have my kids enjoy the same thing. They love watching me getting ready ...fixing hair and makeup. Especially my daughter I love when she tells me "mommy you are so glamorous". She always tells me to make sure I save all my vintage stuff for her so she can wear them when she grows up.

that's so cute! my daughter is 13 months old and cant get enough of watching me put my rollers in and cracks up when she sees me with my hair all set for the night. i just hopes shell grow an interest in it when shes older.

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Glad to see this thread. Hubby and I are going to start the adoption process soon. We were going to go to China but then we decided to stick to domestic (sounds like I'm buying a car huh?). Anyways, I dress with a nod to vintage. No era in particular, especially since I am a curvy yet muscular girl. Actual vintage is too tiny.

As we are setting up the kids room (we are gonna do foster-to-adopt) preparing for our "0-2 yrs" kid, I keep on my hubby about how we are NOT gonna be on of "those" parents. I insist on having a date night, having my night-time primp time, and not comforming into "comfortable" clothes and (gasp) shoes. We're getting a girl so I have some pretty specific ideas of the kind of mom I want to be. My mom is a pretty classy lady. I too remember her dates with daddy and watching her get glam'ed up.

Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the kids dressed like trailer trash. There's even a name for them.... prostitots (saw it on Oprah or something). We're starting them off right. The kids room is decorated in a Sock Monkey theme.

Mildred

New in Town
Motherhood

Oh, you are going to love motherhood and living a vintage lifestyle. I cherished getting vintage baby clothes for my son and making what I could not buy. Shoes were hard. I did his room in cowboy and Indians. Now my "baby" is 13 and he has embraced the vintage life. His friends all think it is "cool" and they like to come over. Plus it helps that I am a good cook. Gee, I am so modest.

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Decobelle said:
I just came across the line of baby things at "Baby Goes Vintage" http://www.babygoesvintage.com/Home/

It's all So Cute!

Hey, they have a sock monkey crib set. Well, too bad I'm Miss Thrifty. I'll post later about my nursery/kids room. Ya'll will be amazed at my creativity.

I'm actually gonna sew my bumper and comforter stuff and just use plain sheets. I got sock monkey fabric on ebay.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Sock Monkey Quilt

Here's the top piece for the baby quilt I just made for my friend who just had a little boy. I love the sock monkey fabric and also the new Dick and Jane fabric too!

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda