Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Cannery Row....What hat is this?If you watch the movie there's lots of close-ups.I think it's a Whippet.

MV5BMTkxNTEwODE2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM0ODgwMw@@._V1._CR0,0,1793,1793_SS100_.jpg

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Eight Men Out

It's been a while since I saw this movie all the way through, but as i caught the last 20 minutes recently I saw 'Shoeless Joe' in a nice homburg and several great fedoras. If I recall correctly, the reporters in the movie sport some great toppers, including some boaters. Our course, the kids are well represented with their newsboys.

Also a pretty good movie in it's own right.

Cheers!

C-C

Vic

One of the Regulars
The Wild One:
thewildone.jpg

Here are 3 of mine...obviously inspired by the above:

cu-redwood.jpg

me-alldayer.jpg

longwall.jpg

(credit to Tessie Navarro on the last pic)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Daniel Craig in the upcomming Cowboys and Aliens

Cowboys-and-Aliens-Movie-Trailer-Out-This-Summer.jpg

I'm not saying that this hat is in anyway inspiring, but it's bound to be a hat flick regardless.

Am I the only person who sees the overt IronMan posture and umm gadgetry here?

Randy

P.S from the looks of that hat, I don't hold much hope in there being any "I WANT THAT!" moments in terms of hat lust while watching Cowboys and Aliens..

The Good

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
Cowboys-and-Aliens-Movie-Trailer-Out-This-Summer.jpg

I'm not saying that this hat is in anyway inspiring, but it's bound to be a hat flick regardless.

Am I the only person who sees the overt IronMan posture and umm gadgetry here?

Randy

P.S from the looks of that hat, I don't hold much hope in there being any "I WANT THAT!" moments in terms of hat lust while watching Cowboys and Aliens..

Daniel Craig's hat looks alright to me, but it does appear to be pre-creased and rather "perfect" in shape, so I think I know what you're talking about here...

As for movie hats that have inspired me, both then and recently, here's a list with some pictures (I'll try to find smaller pics) for reference:

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones (Brown, wide brimmed fedora)
raiders.jpg

Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in The Godfather (Homburg)
pacino-01.jpg

Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name (Western gaucho style)
For_Few_Dollars_More_8.jpg

Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes (Another gaucho/bolero style)
lee3.jpg

Alain Delon as Jef Costello in Le Samourai (Light grey fedora with a medium width brim)
41VG2SMM32L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sam Neill as Alan Grant in Jurassic Park (Wide brimmed straw hat, I believe)
neill3.jpg

Edward

Bartender
No, I also thought Sam Neill was wearing felt in JP. Actually, that, and Pete Postlethwaite's hunter in one of the sequels, were the initial inspiration behind my own safari hat.

Edward

Bartender
Chiliarches said:
No, he definitely wore a hat in other films...a straw in Thunderball, for example.

I seem to remember a black straw with a stingy brim during the gold club sequence in Goldfinger.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Anthony hopkins wears his panama with panache!

hannibalanthonyhopkinsl.jpg

Bumstead, the classic flat-foot detective from Dark City

50071827.jpg

Love the rakish rain-soaked look of Gene Kelly's fedora in this scene

singingintherain2.jpg

This is THE most audacious top hat I have ever seen.

87092742.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
J B said:
Daniel Craig's hat looks alright to me, but it does appear to be pre-creased and rather "perfect" in shape, so I think I know what you're talking about here...

Yeah, it's just too perfect looking, that was my point. Though, I'm judging an entire film's hat population by one preview shot...[huh]

Nice list of hats, I need to compile one of these sort of posts myself.

Randy

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Another hat I like is Peter Lorre's lid from M (Fritz Lang, 1931).

m_01.jpg

Attention to detail! The next shot is just a few seconds after the first. Note the different crease in the hat: The reverse taper from the first image is now gone. The back has been raised cosiderably while the front pinch now has a very pronounced kink to it... :D

m_02.jpg

m_03.jpg

m_04.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I just watched The Last Station and enjoyed the panamas, homburgs - a few of which looked to be velours, derbies, persian lamb hats, and all sorts of other head coverings and costumes. Plus, it was a pretty great movie.

I don't have screen grabs, but here's what's on google images.
Last-Station-4.jpg

last-station-2.jpg

the_last_station_04-535x642.jpg

laststation_poster.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
A GOOD Fedora movie....

.... Just got in from the rain and turned on the tube and the TV movie that was made about LBJ w/Randy Quaid as Lyndon. The part about his early years in Texas is FULL of Fedoras as they were worn ! It was good to see hats WORN :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
I recently saw a 1935 film called "Alibi Ike" on TCM. It starred Joe E. Brown and Olivia de Havilland, and William Frawley (later played Fred Mertz in "I Love Lucy") was also in the movie. It is a great hat movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn