Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

I've read that JFK going hatless at his 1960 inauguration had a big impact on the decline of hat wearing in this country.

y8yza5az.jpg

JFK (far left) and Jackie walking to his inauguration.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely! It's almost as persistant as the one about Santa Claus ;)

I gave thought to the coming of Rock & Roll and teen movie idols like James Dean in the 1950s as maybe being the decline of hat wearing, (the exception being Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps). The entertainment media can have a big impact on fashion trends. Just a theory though.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen too many movies with William Holden wearing a fedora, a few, but not many. Here's William Holden in the 1952 movie, "Boots Malone". Looks like he's wearing an OR style fedora. This is the way I like to wear hats, with casual attire. Probably why I gravitate more toward the thin and mid-ribbons....

holden_OR_02.jpg

Holden_OR_03.jpg

Holden_OR_04.jpg

Holden_OR_05.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I gave thought to the coming of Rock & Roll and teen movie idols like James Dean in the 1950s as maybe being the decline of hat wearing, (the exception being Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps). The entertainment media can have a big impact on fashion trends. Just a theory though.

That's a good point, Terry. It's also a fact, that homes changed a lot, and the general hygiene did so too. Bathrooms and showers made their way into workers' homes. When I was a kid back in the late 50s and the 60s, many people washed their hair one or two times a month. At the same time, coal was wide spread for heating and other means in the cities. In the area of Copenhagen, where I lived, I know for a fact, that women - my mother's age - wore scarfs to protect their hair from air-pollution (myriads of small black particles floating around in the air).

In the beginning of the 60s our powerplants started to produce steam for heating, that was send around the streets in pipes. That removed a lot of the all-year-around "black snow" from the air, and the families got new hygiene standards during the same period.

During the 60s male hair got a much more prominent place in the fashion. Pomade was banned and the hair grew longer, and a wild, wavy hair doesn't present itself, packed together in a hat. When I was 13-18, somebody would have had to break my arm to get me to wear a "boaring old conservative grand-dad-hat" ... unless it was a Homburg, funked-up with beads, feathers or other "hip" artifacts, of course. It could take hours to cultivate the right scare-crow-look every morning lol

So many things changed dramatically during the 20th century. I think, it's hard to pin-point the exact reason. Probably there were lots of events and circumstances, that in combination caused the acceleration of the decline.

Bold1972

New in Town
glenn-ford-movie-poster-9999-1020504082.jpg

I don't believe I saw Glenn in any of the posts...can't name the picture here but I remember him sporting a brim in Gilda.

Say what you want - but there are always some great old hats in the Stooges shorts:
the-three-stooges-three-stooges-32136845-2000-1561.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That picture was actually from the the 1947 movie, "Framed". I posted that same pic of Glenn Ford earlier in this thread and posted it again a couple days ago in the "Show Us Their Hats" thread. I liked Glenn Ford's movies....

framed.jpg

Here's a picture of Glenn Ford from the 1953 movie, "The Big Heat"

Big_Heat.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn