Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Cracker

One of the Regulars
FedoraFan112390 said:
Are there any good hat movies which were produced and/or set between the years 1957 and 1963?

I keep a list of period movies, and I couldn't come up with a lot for the late 50s and early 60s. But two pretty decent ones are:

JFK
jfk3.jpg

jfk1.jpg

jfk2.jpg

Malcolm X
malcolmx_51.jpg

with the added bonus of zoot suits :eusa_clap
malcolmx_9.jpg

jtrenalone

New in Town
After reading this post, and my recent interest in hats, I now am suddenly noticing hats in all movies. I was watching "That Darn Cat" with my wife (one of my guilty pleasure Disney movies), and now was vary aware of the hats the FBI agents wore. Fun, as I am now able to identify the type.

Interesting how the brain can learn pretty quickly...
Joel

Cracker

One of the Regulars
I know. I'm rewatching a lot of period movies just to look at the hats now. For instance, I've seen The Untouchables probably 20 times over the years, but watched it again this week only to discover that the narrow band on Costner's lid bugs me. It just doesn't look right to me.

Untouchables-Costner.jpg

And why did they turn down the entire brim on Charles Martin Smith's otherwise great lid?

untouchables-connerysmith.jpg

untouchables-costnersmith.jpg

untouchables-Smith.jpg

Cracker

One of the Regulars
And I just realized that one of my all-time favorite movies, LA Confidential, which could have been a really cool hat movie...almost no hats at all. I think two corrupt cops wear hats. That's it. Unbelievable.

AlanD

Familiar Face
Hoodlum with Laurence Fishburne

Check out the movie Hoodlum for some nice looking hats. I think I might have seen one of Art's hats in it. Good cast:
Laurence Fishburne, Tim Roth, Vanessa L. Williams, Andy Garcia, Cicely Tyson, Chi McBride, Clarence Williams III, Richard Bradford, William Atherton, Loretta Devine, Queen Latifah, Mike Starr, Beau Starr, Joe Guzaldo. Not a GREAT movie but really decent hats and suits.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Fugitive Fedoras

I just watched I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG, 1932, for the third or fourth time.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3026491392/tt0023042

Check it out. Somebody's wearing some type of fedora in every scene. Even the convicts hammer rocks topped by beat up fedoras and homburgs, a stunning contrast to their striped uniforms. Some crowns are extremely high.
Others totally mishapened.

Paul Muni wears about three different hats as the story progresses.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
hatflick1 said:
I just watched I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG, 1932, for the third or fourth time ...

Even the convicts hammer rocks topped by beat up fedoras and homburgs, a stunning contrast to their striped uniforms. Some crowns are extremely high.
Others totally mishapened.

That's what I love about Depression-era photos (and some movies set in the era): the beat-up fedoras.

(All pics from Shorpy.com)

tobaccosharecroppernrgordontonnc193.jpg

SallisawOK1936.jpg

ruralfillingstationChapelHillNC1939.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo