Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you wished you had never watched.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Thin Red Line is aggravating because if they had cut out all the boring philosophical crap and only included the awesome, hectic, beautifully filmed battle scenes, it would be a decent war movie. The rest is just drivel! Why oh why did they do this?!

Yes, the philosophical meanderings got out of hand, even if one of the main characters is of Greek ancestry. As you noted, there were some excellent battle scenes, and a good, if brief appearance by Sean Penn as a young 1ST Sergeant.

The movie that I wished I had never wasted my night on was Maniac (the 1980 film). Many years ago, my buddies and I (along with our poor girlfriends) were forced to watch it at someone's home. What bloody junk...

Edward

Bartender
Remake of "Planet of the Apes" with Mark Walberg.

I think I'm the only person in the world who liked that. Was it a patch on the original? No. Was it entertaining? Yes. The one thing for which I did not care was them making the humans on the ape world able to talk - preferred it when they were mute. Real shame it didn't do so well - I'd love to have seen a sequel pick up where that one left off, because where they left it it was set right up for something closer to the original Monkey Planet book than anything yet seen. The most recent addition to the franchise was great.

Too many to list:

"Eraserhead" - WTF? I must be trippin'.

One of the worst piles of tripe I have ever seen. Quite possibly the most pronounced case of Emperor's New Clothes in modern cinema.

"The Spirit" - Thank god Will Eisner never lived to see this crap.[/QUOTE]

I liked that, but then I've never seen the source material, so.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Don't understand the hatred for Starbucks. Although I am not often a patron of theirs, obviously I am a minority as there are Starbucks everywhere and they look to be always busy. The beauty of variety is that it provides for all. There is nothing wrong with liking frills and foo-foos with your coffee. Unfortunately, in the world of coffee so many have become snobbish. All it is is coffee, nothing to be elitist about. It would be quite annoying if we were to all enjoy only the same and not embrace variety.

Hey, I agree with most of what you said. Variety is indeed he spice of life. I just personally think that Starbucks, the way I drink it, tastes like a cup of mud. There are plenty of people who love the stuff. More power to 'em.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Thin Red Line is aggravating because if they had cut out all the boring philosophical crap and only included the awesome, hectic, beautifully filmed battle scenes, it would be a decent war movie. The rest is just drivel! Why oh why did they do this?!

IMO Thin Red Line was better *because* of the "boring philosophical crap." When the film came out and was out-hyped and buried under the Saving Private Ryan juggernaut, I felt that the better film was--and still is--Thin Red Line. If anyone has a copy of the Criterion edition they don't want, feel free to PM me. ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I liked that, but then I've never seen the source material, so.
Wow, you've such style and taste and I follow your comments with interest I'm amazed you've not heard of Eisner. The source material actually was a 6 Page comic supplement started in 1939/40 by Eisner. His work was/is groundbreaking. So much so that the biggest award in the Comic Arts world is called "The Eisner". The Spirit was funny, brash, full of adventure, busty women and true to the times, racial stereotypes but it was groudbreaking in layout, quality and... dare I say "Spirit". The film version is often considered by many the worst film of all time. I consider it worse than that I consider it Blasphemy, sacrilage, heresy of the highest order. Still to each his own.

Worf

Kirk H.

One Too Many

I am with you on this. I remember seeing the movie and when we got of the theater asking "What the heck was that".

Kirk

irisbass

New in Town
well,have to say the film u had seen is the director's imagination and the director just ruined ur dream in some way.i really understand what u said so dont make comparison and u will be happy

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wanted with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. I really "wanted" (hehe) to like this movie, but thought it was the most god-awful tripe I've ever seen. The whole wristwatches on the mice was really the icing on the cake. I wished I'd never rented this flick.

Cold Mountain purely because of the ending. Good film up until that!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Last week we had a forgettable indie comedy called "Friends With Kids," the sort of picture that's usually interesting to me only as anthropology, since neither the characters, subject matter, or setting is anything with the remotest connection to my own experiences -- but what brought this one down to the Wish I Never Watched level was the leading lady's face, which was so full of Botox her upper lip never, ever moved, even when she was supposed to be agitated. The last time I saw anything so freakish-looking was in a carnival tent when I was nine.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wanted with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. I really "wanted" (hehe) to like this movie, but thought it was the most god-awful tripe I've ever seen. The whole wristwatches on the mice was really the icing on the cake. I wished I'd never rented this flick.

Cold Mountain purely because of the ending. Good film up until that!

Was "Wanted" the one where they flicked their guns and made the bullets curve? I hate it when producers break the laws of Physics in modern films. In futuristic films it's not quite so bad, after all, we just haven't invented the transporter YET.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if I'd say I'm sorry I watched it, but there was a (TV?) movie with Karen Black called Trilogy of Terror (1975). The third installment was about a little voodoo doll that gave me nightmares for quite some time after I watched it. It was low-tech, compared to today, but it scared the @#$% out of me back then.

terror.jpg

I don't know if I'd say I'm sorry I watched it, but there was a (TV?) movie with Karen Black called Trilogy of Terror (1975). The third installment was about a little voodoo doll that gave me nightmares for quite some time after I watched it. It was low-tech, compared to today, but it scared the @#$% out of me back then.

terror.jpg

That is the one that ended up in the woman after they burned the figure?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I rather wish my sister hadn't watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version) because everytime someone mentions it she goes purple in the face and launches a tirade on how wrong it is that such crap was ever published, let alone filmed. Twice even.

I think I'd turn purple like that too.

Saw the Hollywood version last weekend & am still disturbed. I never understood the plot AT ALL, mainly because I was being bombarded by junk. The rape scene was completely unnecessary, as were all the random sex scenes.

Wish I'd seen it in the theatre, I would've been able to get my money back. Needlesstosay I completely agree that it was crap that should never have been made.

*yucky*

Oh! Worst movie ever?

No Country For Old Men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany