Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you wished you had never watched.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And they keep coming. Timeline. Again, loved the story, hated the film treatment. Great actors did their best with what they were given. I at least applaud them for that. But when they leave out half of the story you just cannot get into it. Even if you didn't read the book, you still get lost.

Cheers!

Dan

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok for a movie many consider good but I wish I would not have seen are the harry potter movies because my book vision was tainted. Now for just outright cruddy movies The Village may be the worst movie ever produced hell anything from M. Night Shamalayan (spelling?) sucks. Ghost rider was awful and I had such high expectations.

WH1

Practically Family
Anything with Tom Cruise or Sarah Jessica Parker. My version of hell will feature a non stop film festival of their collective works topped off by a huge production centered on the two of them... I better get my @#$% to church this sunday.

amen on Zardoz and Pulp Fiction and most of M Night Shamalyan's movies after The Sixth Sense, sad to think you have reached your pinnacle on the first attempt.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Oh, I didn't realise he'd done that... I remember reading QT had sold the rights to True Romance to finance making Reservoir Dogs, but I did't know it had been intended to run in a non-linear fashion a la Pulp Fiction. Interesting....

Yes, it should start with Christopher Walken and his hoods paying Dennis Hopper a visit and telling him about how his son has come into the house of an associate of his, guns blazing, and stolen his drugs. Only later do we see what really happened.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I've finally managed to watch the remake of 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' and it confirmed my worst suspicions. The film is completely and utterly pointless. I have to say, though, that I actually liked Gary Oldman's restrained Smiley (that paid hommage to Alec Guinness) as well as John Hurt's Control (but then John Hurt and Gary Oldman are among my favorite contemporary actors anyway). All the rest of the film annoyed me incredibly. At least it made me decide to watch the original adaption again this weekend. Can't wait to see Alec Guinness, Ian Bannen, Bernard Hepton and Ian Richardson again.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, it should start with Christopher Walken and his hoods paying Dennis Hopper a visit and telling him about how his son has come into the house of an associate of his, guns blazing, and stolen his drugs. Only later do we see what really happened.

Interesting. Is it close enough - chronology aside - to what was filmed that it could be recut?

Edward

Bartender
On topic, I wish I hadn't bothered with The Lovely Bones. Technically very accomplished, but pretentious and tedious - and a weak plot. Susan Sarandon is the only thing worth watching in it, and she really is wasted with such poor material. Very disappointing from Peter Jackson who has shown before (specifically, Heavenly Creatures) that he can do this sort of period character piece well.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think the Harry Potter movies were pretty badly done.

I mean, the things they did well, I think they did really well. But because they're fighting against time-restrictions, they cut out a lot of the stories, and that hurts the viewing pleasure.

It's why I'm always skeptical of film-adaptations of books. They're never as good.

Television adaptations of books (or book-series) are often much better.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And then there are the people who didn't read the book and saw the movie, whose review may be quite different. I didn't read any of the HP books and I thought the movies, especially, or rather, mainly the first one, was particularly good in story, costumes, sets, effects, and pure novelty, which I thought was among its best points.

Edward

Bartender
I've only seen a few of the films. Actually, in large part I felt they mirrored the books quite well. The first two or three were ephemeral fluff, with the later ones becoming significantly more interesting. The most amusing review I ever heard f the first two came from actor Stephen Calcutt, who worked as John Cleese's body double in the first two, and was not involved thereafter to my knowledge - if memory serves, Cleese declined to do the third one owing to significant cuts to the role, so they wrote the ghost out entirely. Anyhow, Stephen told some of us at an event once, when asked about Potter, that he thought the third film (then just released) was far superior to the first two, which he described as "sme children mumbling on some stairs". lol

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The White Ribbon - tedious movie that went absolutely no where - in the end I just sat there thinking "Was that it? All that time spent watching and waiting for something to happen and that's it?!"

Flicka

One Too Many
I rather wish my sister hadn't watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version) because everytime someone mentions it she goes purple in the face and launches a tirade on how wrong it is that such crap was ever published, let alone filmed. Twice even.

I've never watched it because I think I'd have the same reaction. And from what I've heard of the plot, I'd propably get an apoplectic fit over the bizarre insccuracies re Swedish law.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
- The Human Centipede 1 (and 2 for that matter)
The first one was grotesque and just weird, but still somewhat watchable if you "like" stories about psychotic doctors and such. Tht second one on the other hand was.. I don't know... disturbing and awful. I remember watching it with my husband and a few friends; At one point I was certain it wasn't much longer until the end and at that point we were in merely over a half hour. Womp womp... Lesson learned, not watching these two ever again.

- Bag of Bones movie (2-part mini series?) adaption
Awful, nothing like the book - hated it. Bag of Bones got me into Stephen King years ago and this was just so boring and silly.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
- The Human Centipede 1 (and 2 for that matter)
The first one was grotesque and just weird, but still somewhat watchable if you "like" stories about psychotic doctors and such. Tht second one on the other hand was.. I don't know... disturbing and awful. I remember watching it with my husband and a few friends; At one point I was certain it wasn't much longer until the end and at that point we were in merely over a half hour. Womp womp... Lesson learned, not watching these two ever again.

Thank you. I knew there was a fairly recent movie that I couldn't think of that fit this category. In fact, I didn't even see it. Some of my teenage staff were talking about it at camp this summer. When I got more than an inkling of what it was about, and the graphic nature of what was shown, I told all of them that I didn't even want it discussed in my presence. I'm fairly easy-going, but that was over my edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran