Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Misanthropy's Evening Out

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hello folks. I went out Saturday night in my new (new to me) 1940's Burtons suit from England.

2a_1_b.jpg

I got a new 30's style Stetson fedora, and a vintage silk tie to go with the suit (Courtesy of Mr. Marc Chevalier), as well as a miniature carnation for my lapel. Anywho.. here are a couple pics.

100_1259.jpg

100_1261.jpg

Sorry they're not great pics. And in case you're wondering, yes, i'm wearing stage makeup. I was MCing a show, which I had no idea I'd be doing until I arrived... anyway... I'll have better pics after this weekend, a little more natural.

-Jeremiah

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I got a LOT of compliments! Many "gangster" comments, I overheard a lot of people whispering about my hat especially. It was neat. I just sat and sipped my drink, knowing I was the buzz of the room. I can't even remember how many people came up just to say "nice suit" or "nice hat" and then disappear into the masses. That made me feel good, it made the effort of putting the ensemble together worth it.

And I got a lot of compliments specifically on the tie, Marc. :) Do you know what decade it's from?

-Jeremiah

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
*Gasp* Well you never told me that. I had a virgin tie with me all night and didn't even know. I feel a little dirty, now. Well it'd definitely a beautiful tie. I'll try to take some close up pics tomorrow if I'm not too lazy. The floral pattern on it went great with my carnation. Where ever did you come across such a piece, and why the heck didn't YOU ever wear it?

-Jeremiah

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I found it years ago among a group of ties at an estate sale. It still had its paper tags on, but I took them off long ago and gave them to a nutty friend who collects such things.

I have so many ties, I never got around to wearing this one! It's in a better home now.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Wow, well, it definately has a good home now, Marc. I bet after the last 70 years the poor thing had given up hope on ever being paired with a snappy suit for a night on the town. Kind of sad really. I'm gad I did my part.

Wow, I must really be tired...
:fing28:

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
In fact, some of the people who complimented me on my suit had no trouble pinpointing that it was 30's-40's ensemble. So, apparently I was doing something right. :) I know I gave out plenty of my Fedora Lounge matchbooks to interested parties.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Interesting

I give you credit for wearing your suit into
a real time situation & you look pretty comfortable
doing it. Nice job!

SC ;)

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thank you all for the compliments! And Doc, I did win the game! I've work vintage out before, but just maybe a hat and something "toned down", but this is the first time I went out in full regalia.

So out of curiosity.. what IS this "look" I've got going here? I know this sounds silly, but I'd like to develop more of a vintage "persona" to go with the clothes, to seal the deal. I know, i'm a weirdo. Basically, if you saw pictures or something of a fellow who looked like me in that get up, would you think I was a kid in my Sunday best for church, or a bookie? :)

And also, expect MUCH better pics this weekend. I promise.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Looks like you have a nice pool shark look going there...now you just need your own two piece stick and a hard case to carry it in lol Nice look, I sure would think twice about shooting a game with you :p

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
:) Yes I was noticing that too. It's always funny when people think they're dressed up (for a club/bar anyways), and then I walk in. I think the gentleman directly behind me in the blue striped shirt is actively complaining about me as this picture id being shot. :)

And that's funny, Grimstar, as i'm not that great at pool. I play, but I just get lucky, and i'm usually playing with friends, so, I cheat. lol

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mr_Misanthropy said:
And that's funny, Grimstar, as i'm not that great at pool. I play, but I just get lucky, and i'm usually playing with friends, so, I cheat. lol

Careful, Mister M. We might have to start calling you Slim... ;)

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
OK, I give up, Doc. Is that from a movie or book or other piece of media that I really should know? Or are you just saying you'll have to start calling me that? Haha, boy do I feel dumb.

[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael