Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Much ado about "DOO-WOP"

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
I know that many of us here love rockabilly and early rhythm and blues - but does anyone in here like doo-wop music? If so, name your favorite doo-wop/vocal group songs and artists. I've been a fan since I was about 12 or 13 years old.

Here are but a few of my favorites:
Dream Girl - Norman Fox and the Rob-Roys
Rockin' in the Jungle - Eternals
Why You Do Me Like You Do - Cleftones
Little Girl of Mine - Cleftones
Can't We Be Sweethearts - Cleftones
Heart and Soul - Cleftones
Your Last Chance - Lewis Lymon and the Teenchords
No No No - Chanters
Trickle, Trickle - Videos
Fat Fat Mommio - Chalets
Found My Love - Infatuators
Memories of El Monte - Penguins
Oh What a Nite for Love - Roy Tyson
Now You Know - Channels
Let's Start All Over Again - Paragons
Whadaya Want - Robins
Daddy Cool - Rays
I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent - Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
I'm Not Too Young to Fall in Love - Lewis Lymon and the Teenchords

Anyone else out there but me like this stuff??

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Oh yes I do love Doo-Wop! I just wish I had more knowledge..I have to get me more records or CDs soon;) I like the Moonglows and I especially like the Jordanaires (spelling?), although they were "just" backup for Elvis..they give the songs are really special feeling. Just today I also re-watched the movie "Rock,Rock,Rock", which has an appareance of Frankie Lymon and the teenagers..just great:)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I listen to 1920s and 1930s music 80% of the time but i do like DOO-WOP.

"Gee","Sh-Boom","Sincerly","Church Bells may Ring", "Tonite,Tonite", "Hushabye my Love", "I Can't Believe", "Tonight I Fell in Love","I Only Want You", "Again" .... plus some of the songs you mentioned ,airgrabber, like: "Dream Girl", "Heart and Soul", "I'm not a Juvenile Delinquent".

As a matter of fact, some months ago a got a retrospective album with 4 cds called " "The DOO WOP Box" and if you like this style of music you will find some wonderful moments on these CDs.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I love Doo-Wop but don't have any particular favorites! I have a box set and also listen online to a Doo-Wop station. Growing up my mother listened to Cousin Brucie on WCBS every Sunday night and he played Doo-Wop.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Playing "In the Still of the Night" by The Five Satins on acoustic guitar is a lot of fun. Watching peoples' reactions dancing and getting close enhances the sweetness of this style of music. ;) :D :eusa_clap

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
Playing "In the Still of the Night" by The Five Satins on acoustic guitar is a lot of fun. Watching peoples' reactions dancing and getting close enhances the sweetness of this style of music. ;) :D :eusa_clap
Aww, that's a GREAT song. I also love Dion Dimucci (Dion and the Belmonts) ...particularly "Donna the PrimaDonna." Runaround Sue always makes me smile.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lotta Little said:
Aww, that's a GREAT song. I also love Dion Dimucci (Dion and the Belmonts) ...particularly "Donna the PrimaDonna." Runaround Sue always makes me smile.

When I play "Teenager In Love" (Dion) on my acoustic people dance and sing and just have fun. I do not like playing this stuff on my electric. shakeshead

This style of vocals are so rich the electric just drowns them out. :)

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Right you are, my friend. My elderly father said to me today, "People today don't sing, they just talk over the music." I love to listen to singers who can really sing.

Flivver

Practically Family
I enjoy Doo-Wop because I remember hearing it on the radio when I was a child in the late 1950s.

One of my friends at the time had twin brothers who were born in 1941. They were teenagers then and spent their time building hot rods in their huge 2-car garage. I'm surprised they tolerated two little brats watching them, but they did. And the radio in that garage was always tuned to one of the two rock 'n roll stations in town, WORC or WAAB. So Doo-Wop was something I heard frequently back then.

It's funny, I don't care much for rock 'n roll after the British invasion in 1964. It's only the early stuff that appeals to me.

And, in case you're wondering, the hot rods that my friend's brothers were building were almost always '41 Mercury convertibles painted in grey primer with early 50s Cadillac V8s under the hood. I think they must have built 5 or 6 of them.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
I listen to 1920s and 1930s music 80% of the time but i do like DOO-WOP.

"Gee","Sh-Boom","Sincerly","Church Bells may Ring", "Tonite,Tonite", "Hushabye my Love", "I Can't Believe", "Tonight I Fell in Love","I Only Want You", "Again" .... plus some of the songs you mentioned ,airgrabber, like: "Dream Girl", "Heart and Soul", "I'm not a Juvenile Delinquent".

As a matter of fact, some months ago a got a retrospective album with 4 cds called " "The DOO WOP Box" and if you like this style of music you will find some wonderful moments on these CDs.

All great tunes you mentioned! I am pleased to see that I'm not alone out there! While I do have some CD's, most of these I collected on original 45 and 78 rpm records years ago.

Let's not forget "This I Swear" by the Skyliners! Just a beautiful song.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Lotta Little said:
The Dell-Vikings. Come Go With Me is the essence of summer to me.

I also have always equated Come Go With Me with summertime! Whispering Bells is another great Dell-Vikings summertime hit with a wonderful sax throughout.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Flivver said:
I enjoy Doo-Wop because I remember hearing it on the radio when I was a child in the late 1950s.

One of my friends at the time had twin brothers who were born in 1941. They were teenagers then and spent their time building hot rods in their huge 2-car garage. I'm surprised they tolerated two little brats watching them, but they did. And the radio in that garage was always tuned to one of the two rock 'n roll stations in town, WORC or WAAB. So Doo-Wop was something I heard frequently back then.

It's funny, I don't care much for rock 'n roll after the British invasion in 1964. It's only the early stuff that appeals to me.

And, in case you're wondering, the hot rods that my friend's brothers were building were almost always '41 Mercury convertibles painted in grey primer with early 50s Cadillac V8s under the hood. I think they must have built 5 or 6 of them.

Wonderful recollection, Flivver. Thank you for sharing. I think rock music's best days were prior to the so-called British Invasion also, but there are some tunes thereafter to which I enjoy listening.

Talbot

One Too Many
airgrabber666 said:
All great tunes you mentioned! I am pleased to see that I'm not alone out there! While I do have some CD's, most of these I collected on original 45 and 78 rpm records years ago.

Let's not forget "This I Swear" by the Skyliners! Just a beautiful song.

Pretty much everything by the Skyliners is good, but if I had to pick one, it would be this one^^^^

Talbot

One Too Many
airgrabber666 said:
Wonderful recollection, Flivver. Thank you for sharing. I think rock music's best days were prior to the so-called British Invasion also, but there are some tunes thereafter to which I enjoy listening.

Try some Irma Thomas. Her original version of 'Time is on my side' is incredible. It always amazes me how British groups could take so much soul out of a song. Listen to Bessie Banks version of 'You've got to go now'.

Apols, rant over, normal programming can resume. :)

Talbot

Lillemor

One Too Many
I love Dion Dimucci's music and his lyrical interpretation of how he sings his songs but it's not so much his Doo-Wop I listen to anymore though that's how I became acquianted with his music many moons ago. Right now I can't get 'The Majestic' and 'Swinging Street' out of my head.

I also Love doo-wop, and what I guess you may call it's predecessor, Motown"

In the Still of the Night - The Five Satins
Sh-Boom - The Crew Cuts
Duke of Earl - Gene Chandler
Tonite, Tonite - The Mello Kings
Come Go With Me - The Del Vikings
Get a Job - The Silhouettes
Little Darlin' - The Diamonds
Just to name a few....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members