Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Much ado about "DOO-WOP"

Antje

One Too Many
Does anyone know the name to a doo wop cd

it is a compilation cd with orginal groups but then like 40 years later.
and there is a great song on it when a couple of different groups all toghether sing "Gloria"

I wanted to give my dad this cd as a present, but I don't know the title so it is difficult to find

and I can't find anymore different options on finding it

Talbot

One Too Many
airgrabber666 said:
I've heard "Ookey Ook" performed by another prolific west coast group - the Penguins, singers of such tunes as "Earth Angel" and "Memories of El Monte". I will have to seek out the Medallions version, since it's a rockin' song.

"Island of Love" is a great tune, as well.

Hmm, I'll have to check both versions. I'm not a hardcore record collector, but I seem to recall Dootsie William's Dootone label was a bit relaxed about group names.

Can any Texan's tell me if KLUV still has 'Sunday Night Doo Wops' on air? Just curious.

Talbot

One Too Many
Antje said:

and there is a great song on it when a couple of different groups all toghether sing "Gloria"

I wanted to give my dad this cd as a present, but I don't know the title so it is difficult to find

There is also a DVD series like this.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Antje said:

Antje:

check out http://www.doowopcafe.com/gloria.html you might get some infos' otherwise check : http://www.oldies.com/collection-view/Doo-Wop.html

Good luck, Bonne chance, Viel Glück, Buena Suerte...:)

in/y

One of the Regulars
Though I don't quite date back to the time when doo-wop was current popular music, I was around for the first resurgence of doo-wop in the early 60's.

My mom told me that Bandstand (I grew up in the Philadelphia area, it was just Bandstand there, it was American Bandstand for the rest of the U.S.) was the best babysitter she ever had. She would put me in my playpen in front of the TV & I'd hold myself up bouncing to the music.

So I started watching Bandstand (then a daily Monday-Friday show in afternoons, with an extra half hour locally before the show went on the network) in about 1959. Watched the show regularly until it left Phila. and went to Saturdays.

I distinctly remember hearing to "Blue Moon" by The Marcels back then.

Doo-wop had been a constant thread in my life ever since.

Along with many greats already mentioned some of my faves include:

• Desire - The Charts
  • Silhouettes - The Rays
  • Come Back My Love - The Wrens -- I could dance to that one all night long
  • For Your Precious Love - The Impressions (with Jerry Butler) -- The Iceman give a truly spiritual performance here!
  • A Kiss From Your Lips - The Flamingos -- The perfect tune to sittin' in a dark, secluded spot in your '55 Buick convertible with your date.
  • Coney Island Baby - The Excellents -- You won't be able to stop yourself from singing along with this one at the top of your lungs.

Many of the above are on 2 great box sets from Rhino, The Doo-Wop Box (Vol. 1 & 2)

Antje

One Too Many
in/y said:
Though I don't quite date back to the time when doo-wop was current popular music, I was around for the first resurgence of doo-wop in the early 60's.

My mom told me that Bandstand (I grew up in the Philadelphia area, it was just Bandstand there, it was American Bandstand for the rest of the U.S.) was the best babysitter she ever had. She would put me in my playpen in front of the TV & I'd hold myself up bouncing to the music.

So I started watching Bandstand (then a daily Monday-Friday show in afternoons, with an extra half hour locally before the show went on the network) in about 1959. Watched the show regularly until it left Phila. and went to Saturdays.

I distinctly remember hearing to "Blue Moon" by The Marcels back then.

Doo-wop had been a constant thread in my life ever since.

Along with many greats already mentioned some of my faves include:

• Desire - The Charts
  • Silhouettes - The Rays
  • Come Back My Love - The Wrens -- I could dance to that one all night long
  • For Your Precious Love - The Impressions (with Jerry Butler) -- The Iceman give a truly spiritual performance here!
  • A Kiss From Your Lips - The Flamingos -- The perfect tune to sittin' in a dark, secluded spot in your '55 Buick convertible with your date.
  • Coney Island Baby - The Excellents -- You won't be able to stop yourself from singing along with this one at the top of your lungs.

Many of the above are on 2 great box sets from Rhino, The Doo-Wop Box (Vol. 1 & 2)

Great taste Desire is so beautifull

Antje

One Too Many
I finally got the doo-wop cd I wanted for my dad,
it arived today and today it is "Sinterklaas" in Holland so I can give it to him right away.

I hope he enjoys it!

Shel

New in Town
Hello Doo Wop Lovers!

After being a member of this group for some time, I finally saw a post about doo wop music! I knew there had to be some oldies lovers out there somewhere, but just assumed they were few and far between. I thought it might have been just Salv and me. In looking back at this thread, I see that I was wrong. I'm a current member of The Del-Vikings, Cathy Jean & The Roommates and a local NY acappella group, The Tribunes. I'd love to see some new (hat-wearing) friendly faces at our shows, so let me know if you're interested in show dates and venues. It's a pleasure to see this music being kept alive, at least for now.

Talbot

One Too Many
Shel said:
After being a member of this group for some time, I finally saw a post about doo wop music! I knew there had to be some oldies lovers out there somewhere, but just assumed they were few and far between. I thought it might have been just Salv and me. In looking back at this thread, I see that I was wrong. I'm a current member of The Del-Vikings, Cathy Jean & The Roommates and a local NY acappella group, The Tribunes. I'd love to see some new (hat-wearing) friendly faces at our shows, so let me know if you're interested in show dates and venues. It's a pleasure to see this music being kept alive, at least for now.

Shel,

Sounds great. Though I can't make it I'd love to learn more and hear some of your stuff. Thanks for keeping this music live!

Talbot

rgodridge

New in Town
here are some of mine, and i really love this stuff.

tear drops, lee andrews and the hearts.
little rose, the blenders.
i wonder why/blue valentine, the solitaires.
i'm afraid, billy bunn and his buddies.
tell me, the mastertones.

these are all youtubeable if you havn't heard them, hope you like them!

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I'm too young to remember doo wop the first time but I found a local station that plays songs in the wee hours of the morning. These are my favorites:

My Foolish Heart - The Dimensions
Stormy Weather - The Leaders
Morse Code of Love - The Capri's
The Masquerade Is Over - The Five Satins
Angel Face - The Neons

BigFitz

Practically Family
Don't know if this meets the definition precisely, but I've always liked The Fleetwoods.
[video=youtube;jo2HMVIdw_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jo2HMVIdw_U[/video]
[video=youtube;Qz4oZPCt02k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz4oZPCt02k&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo