Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mugshots from the 1920's and 30's

hulkamad

Familiar Face
I didn't know whether to post this in Hats or Suits, but the hats were of most interest to me. These are Australian mugshots from the 1920's and 30's. Everyone is very well dressed and the hats are nice. Here are a select few of my favorite shots, courtesy of thechive. http://thechive.com/2011/12/09/mugshots-have-come-a-long-way-29-hq-photos/
and the original source:
http://www.themysteryworld.com/2011/01/australian-history-mugshots-from-1920s.html

vintage-mugshots-24.jpg

vintage-mugshots-18.jpg

vintage-mugshots-11.jpg

vintage-mugshots-7.jpg

vintage-mugshots-6.jpg

This guys has got the most intersting face...
vintage-mugshots-4.jpg

vintage-mugshots-2.jpg

vintage-mugshots-3.jpg

I like the cut of this man's gib.

Espee

Practically Family
There's always someone making a snide remark about Australia's early days as a penal colony. In this case I suppose it would be "Australian Mugshots-- otherwise known as Class Photos."
(There, I've saved somebody the bother.)

facade

A-List Customer
It is interesting to contrast the unlimited variations in these pictures with today's more standardized hat shapes. Clearly these folk did pretty much whatever they wanted without any preconceived notion of what the hat should look like.

Metatron

One Too Many
Great photographs! The expressions on their faces are priceless, and so are the outfits. Both appear a lot more natural than what we usually see in the period's highly posed actor portraits.

Metatron

One Too Many
Curiously, the only people who are really badly dressed are many of the women! :D
Many of them are wearing sack-like blouses and dresses. Perhaps this indicates that they were most likely very poor and maybe this accounts for their crimes too.

amador

A-List Customer
I have said this in other sites before. Life is short and brutish, why not be well dressed while enjoying it? A hat will make anyone look much more attractive movie stars or criminals, common folk or celebrities. We need to have more hats!

The Hat can speak a subtle tongue
Express an inner self hid by some

The Hue, the Crease, the Tilt and Rake
Are what the Hat, the Man will make.

Teflon

New in Town
1920s Australian Criminals and Their Hats

Hi Everyone,
I have been lurking on this forum for a while now just learning a thing or two with not much to contribute and then I remembered an old police exhibition I saw in Sydney some time ago..well it turns out that a lot of the photos at the exhibition are online. These photos are fantastic overview of hats and fashion in Australia (New South Wales in particular) in the 1920s. As most of these photos are taken in Sydney, naturally they mainly feature city hats as opposed to country hats. Some hats with taper some straight.

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. Enjoy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iminals-arrested-Australia.html#ixzz1OcQKYIPM

http://oldmugshots.tumblr.com/page/6

TomS

One Too Many
Interesting that some of the photos show the men posing with cigars, cigs, etc.

Teflon

New in Town
Sorry everyone. To jump to my own defence, I did do a quick archive search under some words that I thought would bring up a match if there was a similar thread...but did not see anything come up. I don't know how my post ended up in this old thread as I started a new one. I guess the moderators moved it.
Maybe it will bring it to the attention of some others who may be interested and who did not catch it the first, second, or third time around.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
what's interesting to me aside from the clothes, is how beautiful the prints are with the ragged edges, sepia tone, and handwriting. many 'art' photographers today would go to great pains to achieve such a look, yet these just happened without any consideration of aesthetics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR