Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music to put you in the mood

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Does anyone else load up iPods or MP3 players or more old-fashioned CD or cassette tape players with vintage songs to add a more cinematic vintage feel to strutting down the street? My favourite vintage song for it currently is "We'll meet again" - it gives everything a nostalgic, touching feel to it.

The real Henry

Practically Family
I know exactly what you mean!

For example, every time I listen "Sing, sing, sing" while I ride to school on my bike the whole thing gets more exciting( If one could call it like that!?:rolleyes: ) and it usually makes me moving faster!lol

Regards,
Henrik

zaika

One Too Many
oh, absolutely!

i can't help but annoy my fellow bus riders with constant toe tapping to the likes of mr. calloway. i always think to myself that this music is more exciting and has more rythmn and feeling than anything else they churn out these days.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
I like to call it my "soundtrack" music -- if my life were a movie, this is what I'd want playing Lots of Ella Fitzgerald, Andrews Sisters, Glenn Miller...just makes me whistle, hum, and smile a lot, which usually causes passersby to do the same ;)

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
If I am awake, I am usually singing something. I just love to have my own theme songs going at all times. Also, almost anything anyone says, I have a song about it. I get this from my father. Very rarely can someone say anything and a song does not pop into my head. It is a blessing and a curse. Just ask my wife. ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
I sing constantly. It is a family thing.
Best vintage song to skate to in the world is Sugar, Ah Honey Honey. You are my candy girl! lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm admittedly not of the iPod generation -- I never even had a Walkman. But when I'm alone and working around the house or out for a walk, or even by myself up in the projection booth, I *whistle*. Quite well, I might add -- I can do all sorts of tremolo tricks a la Al Jolson, something which seems to be very much a lost art these days. Mostly I whistle 30s pop tunes, and sometimes I'll even stop whistling long enough to add a vocal chorus. Fortunately for the ears of the public, I avoid doing this when anyone's around.

Foofoogal

Banned
I am a major whistler also Lizzie. My mama used to always say this:
A whistling girl and a crowing hen soon come to no good end. [huh]
I love to hear a man whistle and a woman singing. Shows they are happy. That and children playing and laughing are music to my ears. Lost arts.

Flivver

Practically Family
A while back, I was visiting a friend in Michigan who owns a 1941 Cadillac Convertible Sedan. We took the car out for a ride and he was careful to tune the radio to CKLW-AM which, at that time, was broadcasting only big band music.

So there we were, cruising up I-75 at 80 mph, top down, with Glenn Miller blaring from the radio! Possibly the closest thing to a time machine I've ever experienced!

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I'm with shebagrl in calling it my soundtrack music! I don't own any portable music devices, I would probably break them with my lack of knowledge, but driving is my delight in the slow lane and when weather permits windows down!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've always wished real life had a soundtrack--you'd know if you were in danger or met your true love.

I was listening to an old cd today and remembered one of my favorite romantic songs, My One and Only Love. My favorite version is by Louis Armstrong but I couldn't find it online. The lyrics I did find:

The very thought of you makes my heart sing
Like an April breeze on the wings of spring
And you appear in all your splendor
My one and only love
The shadows fall and spread their mystic charms
In the hush of night while you're in my arms
I feel your lips so warm and tender
My one and only love
The touch of your hand is like heaven
A heaven that I've never known
The blush on your cheek whenever I speak
Tells me that you are my own
You fill my eager heart with such desire
Every kiss you give sets my soul on fire
I give myself in sweet surrender
My one and only love
My one and only love

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I have a constant mix of new favorites (Cold War Kids, Kaiser Chiefs, Editors), plus bands like The Smiths and Oingo Boingo, jumpstarted with David Bowie and Jeff Buckley (all-time heartthrob) swirled around with the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima and Django Reinhardt (and so many others!).

Most possibly, I have the weirdest iPod collection out of my group of friends. :p

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
NO Louis, but there's a Sting to this Tale...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lEkJoMNFPEA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lEkJoMNFPEA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkJoMNFPEA

I hope this link works now!! I think you'll like it, call it a gut instinct!:)

imoldfashioned said:
I've always wished real life had a soundtrack--you'd know if you were in danger or met your true love.

I was listening to an old cd today and remembered one of my favorite romantic songs, My One and Only Love. My favorite version is by Louis Armstrong but I couldn't find it online. The lyrics I did find:

The very thought of you makes my heart sing
Like an April breeze on the wings of spring
And you appear in all your splendor
My one and only love
The shadows fall and spread their mystic charms
In the hush of night while you're in my arms
I feel your lips so warm and tender
My one and only love
The touch of your hand is like heaven
A heaven that I've never known
The blush on your cheek whenever I speak
Tells me that you are my own
My one and only love
My one and only love

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
I hope this link works now!! I think you'll like it, call it a gut instinct!:)

Oh, that was lovely! His phrasing was very unique and a romantic arrangement.

I want to go dancing now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn