Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 50th birthday present

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Although not a premium jacket, I love this Avirex with my own design painted on by a local artist. I wasn't going for authenticity, just a nose-art painted jacket for my birthday present to me some years back.

The Mustang is one of my favourites and I took some liberties by adding my initials and nickname to the jacket. The patches are from here and there.

mustang003.jpg

mustang001.jpg

mustang002.jpg

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Thanks

Thanks Andy, BTW, I do know that strictly speaking it's not nose art but I didn't think that I would wear the traditional scantily clad woman around much.

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
You're right coffee, can't wait but I will miss this past summer-it was a great one and almost as good as your winter weather.

Corky

Practically Family
I hate to play the Devil's Advocate, but...

I hate to play the Devil's Advocate, but if that was my jacket I would take it back to the artist and show him some illustrations of a P-51 Mustang.

p51_three.jpg

Check out the nose and tail details and general silhouette of the Mustang and compare them to the painting on your jacket.

mustang002.jpg

It appears to me that he has somehow morphed some of the characteristics of a P-39 Aracobra

p39.jpg

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if an artist is going to stick a label like "INIMITATABLE" on a piece of aircraft art, it ought to at least have a reasonable resemblance to the aircraft it is supposed to depict.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I don't know about anyone else but I'd never identify that jacket bird as anything but a P51D. That painting as far as I'm concerned is very period and very representative of the average jacket you'd see on any airfield. Many original jackets were no where near the quality shown on that jacket. The average nose artist was just another member of the squadron and not an expert. I've been building and studying WWII USAAF aircraft and nose art for 33 years. I'm also a pretty good nose artist myself and I think I know what was out there at the time. I'd be happy to wear that jacket. What a great birthday gift. :eusa_clap

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
B-17

Silver Dollar said:
I don't know about anyone else but I'd never identify that jacket bird as anything but a P51D. That painting as far as I'm concerned is very period and very representative of the average jacket you'd see on any airfield. Many original jackets were no where near the quality shown on that jacket. The average nose artist was just another member of the squadron and not an expert. I've been building and studying WWII USAAF aircraft and nose art for 33 years. I'm also a pretty good nose artist myself and I think I know what was out there at the time. I'd be happy to wear that jacket. What a great birthday gift. :eusa_clap
I have to agree, I knew an artist from the 8th Air Force, and his B-17 that he painted on his own jacket had a similar look to your jacket! If the paint was flaking off, it would look a lot like a jacket he did. Whish I would have let him do one of my jackets, sadly, he was the type that never even had a cold in his life, so he went real fast when he finally did get sick! And yes, I have seen a lot of nose art both original and modern while restoring vintage aircraft. Your jacket would fit right in with the originals. You can spend a life time looking for perfection, but you will never obtain it!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
I have to agree, I knew an artist from the 8th Air Force, and his B-17 that he painted on his own jacket had a similar look to your jacket! If the paint was flaking off, it would look a lot like a jacket he did. Whish I would have let him do one of my jackets, sadly, he was the type that never even had a cold in his life, so he went real fast when he finally did get sick! And yes, I have seen a lot of nose art both original and modern while restoring vintage aircraft. Your jacket would fit right in with the originals. You can spend a life time looking for perfection, but you will never obtain it!

Exactly! If you go to the Air Force Museum which has some of the best original jackets out there, you'd be surprised what's there. A couple are incredibly good while most of them are just like Inimitable. You've got yourself a real winner here, Heavyduti.

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Thanks guys

The artist used a large poster with a photo of the 'd' model and I was very impressed by her faithful depiction of the aircraft on leather, something she had never attempted before.

I have owned several factory-done jackets so this was a real treat for me. I enjoy wearing it every single time.

Thanks for all of your comments. I am very new to this site, enjoying every thread that I have read.

My only worry is that Fedora is going to cost me a lot of money as I learn more about the jackets by manufacturers of which l was blissfully unaware.

I am also a hat guy with about a dozen Akubra models which are my daily wear. The rain today is a boon since I am less obvious when the umbrella crowd is out.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Heavyduti said:
The artist used a large poster with a photo of the 'd' model and I was very impressed by her faithful depiction of the aircraft on leather, something she had never attempted before.

I have owned several factory-done jackets so this was a real treat for me. I enjoy wearing it every single time.

Thanks for all of your comments. I am very new to this site, enjoying every thread that I have read.

My only worry is that Fedora is going to cost me a lot of money as I learn more about the jackets by manufacturers of which l was blissfully unaware.

I am also a hat guy with about a dozen Akubra models which are my daily wear. The rain today is a boon since I am less obvious when the umbrella crowd is out.

Love the jacket and the cool artwork! Welcome to the site here. You are so correct about how the site is going to cost you a lot of money as you learn about jackets by manufacturers you hadn't heard of before... I definitely fall into that category and got swept in to the Aero leather jacket fanbase here.

Happy 50th birthday to you... congrats! :)

442RCT

One of the Regulars
As an accumulator of painted jackets, I've seen many pics of them, modern as well as original, I agree 100% with Silver Dollar and Stearman about A2 jacket art. Most of the jacket art where planes look really good (i.e.-Jerome Urbaniak http://www.picturetrail.com/jrome) have been done by modern day professional artists. As for your 'stang not looking right, heck it depends on the angle...

image0-5-1-1.jpg

When I first started, Avirex mass produced jackets were pretty much the only game in town and I've acquired quite a few of them over the years and posted pics of many of them in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48438&highlight=avirex

Even though I own over 50 leather flight jackets, a dozen of them with custom paint jobs, I still unabashedly enjoy my old mass produced Avirex mall jackets [huh]

ps- you can add your jacket to this thread too ;)
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48540
The Mustang is one of my favourites and I took some liberties by adding my initials and nickname to the jacket.
If you look at this P-51 on my jacket, I named it "Go For Broke". :rolleyes:
384127085.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Vargas

442RCT said:
I like your Go For Broke, but, Big Beautiful Doll has to be my favorite Vargas girl of all times, the perfect pose, with or with out clothes! I would post my one and only jacket I painted, but photobucket deleted it, absolutely no nudity, not even hand painted art!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I know exactly what you mean about the Big Beautiful Doll Varga girl. I don't remember painting anything with her on it but she's also one of my favorite. I'd really love to see that hand painted jacket, Stearman. Hopefully you can find a host that will allow you to show her.

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Okay, so far I want Navin's Aero and the Big Beautiful Doll on 442's jacket...

Anyone want to contribute to my jacket fund?

I had to try.

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
442RCT, what in the hell is going on with Go For Broke's left leg?? Are my eyes being crazy or is there some perspective issue or is it actually diminutive and atrophied?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot