Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Crazy New York City Shopping spree

I found myself in NYC this afternoon with nothing to do for a couple of hours...
In America, we seldom get the chance to try on different makers' jackets in a single day, so I went to a vintage shop, RRL, Schott, Blue in Green, and Self Edge to have a little fun and get my hands on a few.
First, I found a cool G1: Imperial Leather & Sportswear (size 40):
mime.jpg
mime-12.jpg

Then I walked over to the flagship RRL store and discovered treasure...
Here is one of Ralph's workcoats (size S/ wish they had a M to try):
mime-8.jpg
mime-2.jpg
It is pretty awesome as the design and dyed-indigo color go, but for $2699.00 I would look elsewhere.
The leather isn't all that great.

They do carry some great vintage jackets though...
Vintage Hercules cross-zip with D-pocket and fuzzy collar:
mime-15-2.jpg
A very cool 30s-40s halfbelt by M. Bogen Co.:
mime-13.jpg
And, an original version of the Snake Plissken Jacket:
mime-4-2.jpg
@HoosierDaddy, you are gonna love yours! It is just too cool!!!! (unfortunately, this one was too small for me to zip)

Next was off to Schott:
mime-5.jpg
mime-14.jpg
I found that a 38 and M fit me.
I successfully convinced another guy to go for a Schott G-1 over their version of an A-2.
:rolleyes:
At Self-edge I got to handle Flat Head and Fine Creek Leathers jackets!
No photos here, but some observations:
Flat Head's Del-Raiser Jacket is an art piece!
They didn't have my size, but I would require a 42 (I'm typically a 38). The shoulders and chest were good with a 40 cafe racer style, but I would need to lose 15-20 lbs to zip that size...
Fine creek was a surprise. I handled the Type II style trucker, and again...WOW!
Both Flat Head and Fine Creek used similar leather (shinki?), but the craftsmanship on the Fine creek was better IMHO. Don't get me wrong... the Del-raiser is gorgeous, but the holes for the stitching were large and the leather looked like the seams weren't finished as well. The Fine Creek was really pretty.
Unfortunately, Blue in Green only sells Toys Mc Coys now. I don't like jackets that are all painted up to replicate wartime jackets, so a pass for me- they sold out of thier A-1s and only offer a painted up N-1 currently.
Happy to answer any questions...
:( No, I didn't make a purchase.

Last edited:

mygar

A-List Customer
It's black. If it was green, I would have cried...
Why didn't I buy?
New York prices, baby!
The vintage G-1 was $1150
The RRL was $2700
The Hercules was $3600
The Snake was $2450
The vintage HB was $1950
:eek:

I was gonna say those shops in NY cant be cheap!!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great thread handymike :)
with those prices these shops should have a shop attendance who is all the time ready to assist potential customers who try on their jackets with making a hi def photo and send them to their WA or email, free advertisement and friendly reminder :D
maybe when in their shop people might be in well guarded mode solely with intention just for window shopping, but opening a picture of a great photos of themselves in some jackets at home when it is raining outside and life feels empty, who knows what might happen.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Why didn't I buy?
New York prices, baby!
The RRL was $2700
The Hercules was $3600
The Snake was $2450
The vintage HB was $1950
Not bad))

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Why didn't I buy?
New York prices, baby!
The RRL was $2700
The Hercules was $3600
The Snake was $2450
The vintage HB was $1950
At a push, I might have sprung for the G1, but I reckon I could pin a better deal on eBay. NYC shopping motto: Hey, hey, I'm gouging here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner