Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero ANJ-3

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, so I hope it passes everyone’s muster …

This is my latest addition that I hope you all might like to see – my Aero ANJ-3.
Having had a couple of A2's before and finding myself in the market for another jacket, I wanted one after I’d done some research on the web of this rare design and found photos of a beautiful example on display at LAX airport that had some gorgeous 15th AF theatre-made incised leather patches made in Italy. The jacket had bags of character and I just loved it – and I wanted one just like it.
At that time, Aero had an original ANJ-3 as a reference and I'd asked Amanda and Will that the spread collar be matched perfectly and it was. Their example had no lining and I felt I could have whatever I wanted (so long as it looked military), so I opted for their chestnut brown twill as I wanted something that breathed better and was stronger than rayon or satin.
I had a brass Aero zip added and IMHO it runs very smoothly indeed and looks the part; I can’t fault it.
I wanted an ANJ-3 in goatskin as I find it a more practical hide with a gorgeous grain. The hide is buttery soft and required no break-in. I much prefer having the bigger pockets and the inside pocket too.
And credit where credit's due, I have to say that this jacket was made by Edith last year and she did a sublime job.
The patches were made by Roberto Bandecca (www.italianpatchmaker.it) who made all the patches for Red Tails and he has been an absolute pleasure to deal with –he really knows his craft and is a perfectionist with a very keen eye. He will work with you to get you just the result you want and he really knows his history too. His aging process is a mystery but it is fantastic and the result looks totally authentic. He even made my name tag which I prefer over the ones I initially had made by Split-S !
I added the bomb mission tally myself using artist acrylics and they represent the animals my girlfriend and I have/had together – but I wanted them to look authentic, so I didn’t deviate from original designs – just in size (to represent our two Chihuahuas against the big dogs!) And in case you’re wondering, the decoy emblem represents our parrot !
And I got a period 1940s mechanical pencil for the pen slot. Not a pen – didn’t want to risk an ink spillage! That would be BAD!
And under one pocket flap I have a “Spirit of 1943” D.I. made in enamel and silver by Amico – the ANJ-3 was only made in 1943 so it seemed appropriate!

The jacket is a testament to the pets – but specifically, my girlfriend and I recently rescued a stray dog (we named Bo) from a (then) high-kill shelter in Texas, so hence the Texas Lone Star state patch (as per original as seen in Pinks and Greens) and the zip puller is Bo’s TX issue rabies vaccination tag and name tag from the TX shelter. The stenciled number under my name on the lining is Bo’s adoption number (just with a o- prefix added to make it look authentic).
And since then, we’ve rescued another from the same shelter.
So there you have it. I couldn't be happier with the jacket nor with the service I received at the time and they made doing business a pleasure.

So here are photos of the jacket – and me wearing it, complete with poses a la 1980’s Kays or Sears catalogue !

I highly recommend this design of jacket as it comprises the very best elements of an A2 and the M442a in one and if anything ever happened to mine (perish the thought!!!), I’d order another from Aero in a heartbeat.

Thanks for looking.
David

Attachments

• ANJ-3 #1.jpg
    ANJ-3 #1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 3,542
  • ANJ-3 #2.jpg
    ANJ-3 #2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,772
  • ANJ-3 #3.jpg
    ANJ-3 #3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2,639
  • ANJ-3 #4.jpg
    ANJ-3 #4.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 3,572
  • ANJ-3 #5.jpg
    ANJ-3 #5.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,889
  • ANJ-3 #6.jpg
    ANJ-3 #6.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,880
  • Hamm's.jpg
    Hamm's.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 759
  • spiritof43.jpg
    spiritof43.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,056

Stand By

One Too Many
An original ANJ-3 at LAX

Thank you very much!
I did a boat load of research into the origins of the ANJ-3 and came upon this very cool original ANJ-3 that is on display at LAX and it inspired me with mine.

Attachments

• ANJ3 LAX3.jpg
    ANJ3 LAX3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,698
  • ANJ3 LAX#4.jpg
    ANJ3 LAX#4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,610
  • ANJ-3 LAX#2.jpg
    ANJ-3 LAX#2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2,590
  • ANJ-3 LAX #3.jpg
    ANJ-3 LAX #3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,737

Foster

One of the Regulars
Out of curiosity, I am curious why you went with the USN style zipper, as opposed to the A-2 wind flap on the original at LAX. I know they made both types, I ask because that is a question I have been thinking over as I am intending to order an ANJ-3 in the future.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I'd like an ANJ 3 to be my next one. Not likely though. Welcome to the OCD corner and mind the stitch counters - they can bite.

Stand By

One Too Many
Out of curiosity, I am curious why you went with the USN style zipper, as opposed to the A-2 wind flap on the original at LAX. I know they made both types, I ask because that is a question I have been thinking over as I am intending to order an ANJ-3 in the future.[/QUOTE]

A good question - and one I pondered over too. And indeed, both types of wind flap were produced as you rightly say.
I went with the interior wind flap as, if you count the various features of an A2 against those of the M422a, I felt that the jacket may appear to be an A2 at first glance (due mostly to the epaulettes and the leather collar) - but adding the interior flap merely balances the number of those features between the two styles, so it shakes out the two styles evenly, I think.
Also, as I said, I've had two A2s already and felt like a change.When zipped up, I find the interior flap does a better job of keeping out the wind and I like the cleaner look too.
But it's a personal choice. I was worried that the extra piece would look/feel odd when the front is unzipped (like wearing a double breasted blazer open, say) - but I actually like it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket, I also like your choice in Unit Patches. I must say though that your "poses" had me dying with laughter, no insult intended. I like guys that:

1. Aren't afraid to take pics.
2. Aren't afraid to show their purty faces.
3. Aren't afraid to poke a lettle fun at themselves.

You hit the trifecta and the jacket looks great to boot!!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
Nice jacket, I also like your choice in Unit Patches. I must say though that your "poses" had me dying with laughter, no insult intended. I like guys that:

Thanks for sharing...

Worf

Thanks Worf! :)
I chose the patches with care as, like many, I don't wish to adorn a jacket with patches I haven't earned - but I do love the look of some of them. In this case though, I felt able to get away with the ones I chose as the Italian-made incised leather patches were all unofficial and the XV/XII/IX AF's were very casual in appearance.

And indeed, we're all mainly here to relax as we share our interests, are we not ? It's a sad day if we can't all laugh at ourselves from time-to-time.

Thanks again for the kind comments. I appreciate them - and from everyone. Cheers!

Stand By

One Too Many
ANJ-3 #9.jpg

Thanks for sharing...

Worf

And as a P.S., here are two more closer shots of the insignia. I love the Texas Lone Star state patch and add it here as it's a bit clearer to see. The aging that was done to it is permanent btw.
The bomb tally was added using artist acrylics as I said. This is the fourth jacket I've painted on, so maybe I should do a thread on how it's done sometime ... there's a bit of a trick to doing it so that the design won't crack and flake with age and wear.
And finally, the other shot that was taken: Very Sears catalog circa 1982 (showing my age now...)! It's all about the thumb !

Attachments

• ANJ-3 #8.jpg
    ANJ-3 #8.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 943
  • Sear'spose.jpg
    Sear'spose.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 975

Edward

Bartender
That is a really nice jacket. I briefly owned an Aero ANJ-3 myself a couple of years ago, but alas it was too small. While a 42 is grand for me in an A2, I really need a 44 in that slimmer cut. I've recently been reappraising my AN6552, and I think that might have to go to make way for a 44 too...

Nice to see one of these badged up, too - not a common sight.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Friggin' hilarious "Sears pose" (you may just have coined a new phrase in the FL lexicon, my friend!).
Very curious about the painted bomb mission markings. I'm a bit of an artist myself and would love to know your secret.
Thanks in advance.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
SPEW!!!! "Sears Catalog Pose"!!!!! ROFL:eusa_clap!!!!! Outstanding and yes, please do share your leather painting knowledge with the rest of us!!! Best posts I've read all week!!!

Worf

Foster

One of the Regulars
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the wind flap, personally I have been leaning more toward the A-2 style, in part because I am comfortable with it, and also because the specimen in LAX which was issued to a USAAF flyer was clearly the A-2 flap. It does make me wonder if the ones with that style flap were made more for the Army / USAAF, and the other for the USN, or if I am just making that delineation in my own mind. It's a difficult jacket to research when pondering such questions, and I appreciate any insight from others who have made any study on the subject. Thanks!

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for the support here, Thor and Worf !
The painting technique is easy when you know how - you just need to know the right materials to use and how.
Alas, it's a story where detail matters (to imbue confidence to try it yourself) and to tell it here with photos, well, this thread would run waaay off topic - and others who might also be interested to do this would want to see an appropriately named thread title. But I'll gladly work at putting together a separate how-to thread to address this properly and try to encourage some of you to try doing this yourselves - it's relaxing and the result means your jacket is truly unique in the world.

I will say that, for me, the hardest part of it comes after I've spent many, many happy hours poring over various reference books on nose art, pin-up art and jacket art to decide on what design and font to choose - and created a template for it. The paints are carefully selected and the template is in place, taped on the jacket, and then ... then it all comes down to committing ... that ... first ... dab ... of permanent ... paint ... to an expensive jacket !!! =:-o
Gets me every time.
And no sooner than it's on - the hardest part is done as you're committed. And from there it's just a matter of time and patience - working to copy and capture the wartime flavour of what you're after. Make a mistake ? No worries. If it's acrylic paint you're using, wait a few minutes and paint over it. If it's oil paint, wipe it off and repaint. And just keep going until you're happy and remember to enjoy the process ....
It's a tale for another time, but I'll do what I can to help others just as someone once told me how it's done. As I said, easy when you know how.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the wind flap, personally I have been leaning more toward the A-2 style, in part because I am comfortable with it, and also because the specimen in LAX which was issued to a USAAF flyer was clearly the A-2 flap. It does make me wonder if the ones with that style flap were made more for the Army / USAAF, and the other for the USN, or if I am just making that delineation in my own mind. It's a difficult jacket to research when pondering such questions, and I appreciate any insight from others who have made any study on the subject. Thanks!

And the example that Aero had also had the A2 style exterior wind flap. The only other company that makes a decent ANJ-3 is Gibson & Barnes and, after their researching of the jacket, they offer the exterior flap too.
But spend any time researching this design and you'll see the interior flap was used too - and it also becomes apparent that there is precious little and sometimes conflicting information out there. Some say that the jacket was a prototype only and made only by the handful. Some say that only the USN received any and so a few hundred might have been made - and others say that they never made it to any front or saw actual service - but the example seen at LAX lays that theory to rest ! So I just don't know ....
In those dark days, a quartermaster threw one at you and that was it. Today you have a choice and either one is correct :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner