Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Just stumbled upon this thread. Blue hats are fantastic.

This is my blue Dobbs Fifteen with a back bow. It's liner is also blue.

This one is one of my favorites because of the way it responds to various lighting conditions.

uploadfromtaptalk1455214535918.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1455214541618.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1455214546557.jpg
210f4823a04634bac4d04cdcb8c044b6.jpg

cd9ed347a1eb014ab04432921704eba6.jpg

cd9443146214472f45046bd3cb607ff8.jpg

Last edited:

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
This is an Imperial Stetson originally sold through Marshall Field & Company. As far as I can see, it is in mint condition.

One of the most interesting things about this hat is the chameleon-like tendency for its appearance to change in different lighting conditions and when viewed from different angles. Sometimes it appears to be quite blue (hence, my posting it here as well as in the Homburg Nation thread), other times more of a dove grey, and still others (especially under fluorescent lighting) a deeper, almost thundercloud, grey.

Also, the brim treatment is interesting to me, with a narrow almost light khaki grosgrain and a stitch about a centimeter below.

The felt is exceptionally fine and smooth.
uploadfromtaptalk1455301406189-jpg.44180
uploadfromtaptalk1455301412460-jpg.44181
uploadfromtaptalk1455301418032-jpg.44183
uploadfromtaptalk1455301425227-jpg.44184
uploadfromtaptalk1455301485117-jpg.44185
uploadfromtaptalk1455301515233-jpg.44187
uploadfromtaptalk1455301520805-jpg.44188
uploadfromtaptalk1455301535033-jpg.44190
uploadfromtaptalk1455301538707-jpg.44191
<br /><br /><br /><br />
uploadfromtaptalk1455301569159-jpg.44192

ninman

One of the Regulars
Hi, sorry for posting a few different threads today.

I'm curious about the Herbert Johnson Poet from this website.

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/store/herbert-johnson/poet-hat/poet-hat

Now, the hat on the website looks quite good, nice colour, nice crease etc. I'm wondering if that's what it actually looks like if you ordered one when it arrives.

The other thing that I'm curious about is that the creases they've put into that hat look quite different from the creases on the original Raiders hat. What I'm noticing is that it has a kind of diamond crease, the back of the hat appears to be way higher than the front, and the side dents go a lot further back.

I actually think it looks quite good personally, and was considering copying it on my Fed 4 that I ordered. I'm just wondering what people think of it, and if anyone can tell me what the real hat looks like if I was to order one (which I wasn't planning to btw, but I'd really like to know the difference between the hat on the website and a real one).

Thanks guys.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
You'd get far more info over at the IndyGear forum where these hats are documented in very fine detail.

The current Poet hat that HJ makes is not too much like the original Raiders hat (different felt, different block, different everything), although there is a guy in Germany from who you can buy a Raiders version. AdVintage I think his business is called.

The most realistic Raiders hats come from John Penman and David Garrison - the Adventurebilt Deluxe guy in Germany too, if it can track him down.

You might be able to find a vintage HJ too, they seem to come up from time to time.

ninman

One of the Regulars
You'd get far more info over at the IndyGear forum where these hats are documented in very fine detail.

The current Poet hat that HJ makes is not too much like the original Raiders hat (different felt, different block, different everything), although there is a guy in Germany from who you can buy a Raiders version. AdVintage I think his business is called.

The most realistic Raiders hats come from John Penman and David Garrison - the Adventurebilt Deluxe guy in Germany too, if it can track him down.

You might be able to find a vintage HJ too, they seem to come up from time to time.

I understand that, but I'm curious about that particular hat. I actually think the hat on that website looks quite good, and it might be quite cool to replicate the bash they've put in it. I just wondered if anyone has bought one from that website and can tell me what it looks like in real life. I'm not interested in any other hat, just that particular hat from that particular website.

It's mainly because if I replicate that bash I want to know how it would look on my head, and also how to achieve the bash they've put in it.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
The Poets that Indy wore fluctuated from film to film, and those were only a few years apart. The Poets in production, say 70 years prior to Indy wearing them were likely quite different too.
Having said that, 30 some years later, it's not the same hat. I can't say how different, having never handled them nor the original Raiders hat, but I do know the felt is different, as is the block they use for them.
I understand the lure to owning a Poet, I mean I would love a good Raiders era Poet, too. But my advice would be to check out advintage hats. You can specify which Indy bash from any of the movies you'd like your hat shaped to, and there's various price points and levels of quality to choose from. And they're also HJ Poet and Christys Adventurers vendors.
I don't think you'd be disappointed if you went with them.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Poets that Indy wore fluctuated from film to film, and those were only a few years apart. The Poets in production, say 70 years prior to Indy wearing them were likely quite different too.
Having said that, 30 some years later, it's not the same hat. I can't say how different, having never handled them nor the original Raiders hat, but I do know the felt is different, as is the block they use for them.
I understand the lure to owning a Poet, I mean I would love a good Raiders era Poet, too. But my advice would be to check out advintage hats. You can specify which Indy bash from any of the movies you'd like your hat shaped to, and there's various price points and levels of quality to choose from. And they're also HJ Poet and Christys Adventurers vendors.
I don't think you'd be disappointed if you went with them.
Who or what hat was the original "Poet " hat named after and what did it look like? Im not really that interested in "Indy" hats. Info? Thanks.

backstagejack

New in Town
I get that you like the look of the hat pictured.... but that's just it... the hat pictured. The odds of receiving that hat based on the service and quality of HJ the past few years are slim. Also.... an HJ might last you a few years at best of normal wear. I'd go with Penman, Garrison, etc.

For the price that HJ is charging for a factory made poor quality hat you might as well go the custom route.... heck, an Akubra Fed is worlds better than what I hear the HJ is in this day and age.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner