Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My daily beater has arrived

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
well it arrived the other day, but just now photographed it. It's a resistol with a 2 1/4" brim and about a 5" crown. The top of the liner seems to be plastic, so I'm thinking it can't be that old. Anyone have an idea as to it's possible age?

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Well, we know it was made before 1968 for sure. Before Byer and Rolnick sold out to Hatco. Does it also have a gold "cord" around the outside of the plastic topper?
That is a later liner of Resistol. What does the sweatband look like?

Regards,

J
p.S. That is NOT a beater. :D

There is no gold cord. The sweatband is leather as in the photo below. There is a paper size tag affixed to the back of the band with a union stamp on the back that said "" hat & millinery wrks. I couldn't make out thefull name. There is also a red ink size stamp and some icon stamped on the back of the band.

d.jpg

Fedora

Vendor
I love those pre- 68 Resistols. I have a couple in my vintage collection and I like them alot. Mine are right up there with the Knoxes and Cavanaghs in quality. Fedora

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty fine looking! I invested in a couple more summer straws- a 2nd Panama and a narrower brim hat too. All toll I have just $36 in these 3 vintage straws but can wear them almost daily! One is kinda beat but hey, it has character!
Tip-Hat.gif

skillbilly said:
There is no gold cord. The sweatband is leather as in the photo below. There is a paper size tag affixed to the back of the band with a union stamp on the back that said "" hat & millinery wrks. I couldn't make out thefull name. There is also a red ink size stamp and some icon stamped on the back of the band.

d.jpg

Ok, I checked some of my older Resistols that are similar to yours. In this case I was in luck. I have one with a Kitten finish that looks close to yours. Same brim width but a little different liner. I have the original sales tag and it dates it to 1957. So we can narrow it down to between 1957 and 1968. That is probably as close as you get in dating hats. :D

Regards,

J

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Ok, I checked some of my older Resistols that are similar to yours. In this case I was in luck. I have one with a Kitten finish that looks close to yours. Same brim width but a little different liner. I have the original sales tag and it dates it to 1957. So we can narrow it down to between 1957 and 1968. That is probably as close as you get in dating hats. :D

Regards,

J

Thanks for looking into that; I appreciate all the trouble.:D
By the By. what is a "kitten finish"?

skillbilly said:
Thanks for looking into that; I appreciate all the trouble.:D
By the By. what is a "kitten finish"?

Oh boy, explaining this without feeling it is kind of tough. Think of a finish on a hat that is smooth and soft at the same time. It is kind of like velvet but with fur. Then there are other manufacturers who use velvet finish, doeskin and a host of others for the same kind of thing. I'll just say that it is nice. :D I bought two hats because I wanted the Dobbs Gamebird but it was a lot so I had to take both. I am happy with both now that I look back on it. :)

Regards,

J

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Very nice! I'd probably snap the brim down in front if it was mine, because I can't pull off the up-all-around look, but it works for you. Beautiful hat.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
nice...

I agree that it's only a beater to the untrained eye! It's a keeper.

JamesPowers really knows his stuff. That's so cool to date a hat like that.

:eek:fftopic: Now about those cameras... what kind of TLR's are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany