Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dream; a 1930s Lunchroom

missjo

Practically Family
I've dreamed about this for ages and it seems it is now actually happening.
The plan is simple, in these years of fastfood, lack of service, weird types of coffee, too much choice in tea and generally noisy and impersonal establishments, I am starting a lunchroom straight from the 1930s; the golden era of service.

Imagine the scene...
A 1930s radio on a shelf is quietly playing 1930s music and radiobroadcasts, no bleeping machines, no rude advertising.
A lady in black dress with white skirts approaches you, the waitress is polite, patient and friendly without being overly informal and 'too smiley'.
Service that has become extremely rare over here.
The menu is very simple, back to basics.
You want a cheese sandwich, you get a cheese sandwich, what kind of bread?
White or brown, that's it.
You want a Double Tall, Nonfat, Half-Caf, Extra Hot Latte with Whipped Cream, Vanilla, Hazelnut, Almond, Raspberry, and Toffee Nut Syrup, Extra Foam, 2 packets of Sweet 'n' Low, 1 packet of Sugar, 1/2 pack of Equal, and Caramel Sauce?
Sorry, we just have one kind of coffee; hot.
You want to choose from our tea selection?
What tea selection?

At the counter there will be jars of candy for kids, we will even have some candy so cheap that modern kids can experience the joy of actually getting some candy for 1 cent.

Signs ask visitors to turn off their mobile phones.
Want to use your mobile phone anyway?
Please use our wooden telephone booth in the corner.
Or if you just want to experience the amazing weird unusual technique of using a real antique dial phone... go ahead ;)

Anyway, that is what I'm working on at the moment.
If you want to keep an eye on my project, feel free to 'like' the facebook page, even though it is mostly in Dutch;)

https://www.facebook.com/DeJaren30Lunchroom

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What a great idea -- a place that serves actual food, not attitude or irony. You need to have a row of one-arm school chairs along one side of the wall for people who are eating in a hurry.

newarkonearm163.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I went to Amsterdam last year on a holiday. You have a beautiful city.

If your lunchroom venture should actually take off, I may go there again. Gimme the address once you're set up!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When I went to Amsterdam, the concierge at our hotel said that honestly, the Dutch are not known for their cuisine (if there even is one). The most exotic thing I could find was a cup of hot chips with salt sprinkled on top.

I sincerely hope that your lunchroom will serve more than that!

missjo

Practically Family
Nope, we'll offer a lot less!

But the Dutch kitchen is pretty awesome... for instance... I present... the stroopwafel!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
What an ambitious idea! As a former cafe proprietor, I salute you and wish you great success.

Amsterdam is still on my travel list. In fact, it just got bumped up a notch or two!

All the best in your endeavor. :)

St. Louis

Practically Family
What a wonderful idea. Do you have any idea when it'll be ready? I'd have to save my pennies for a transatlantic trip, but it would be so worth while.

Will you have a dress code? Here in the states, restaurants actually have to post signs asking patrons to wear shoes and shirts. Is this an issue in Amsterdam?

St. Louis

Practically Family
What a wonderful idea. Do you have any idea when it'll be ready? I'd have to save my pennies for a transatlantic trip, but it would be so worth while.

Will you have a dress code? Here in the states, restaurants actually have to post signs asking patrons to wear shoes and shirts. Is this an issue in Amsterdam?

missjo

Practically Family
No date yet, but I hope it can happen this year, perhaps next year.

There won't be an official dresscode but I will kick out people showing their underwear in public.

People walking around without shirts or shoes is not an issue here.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Unfortunately, for every restoration, there are many more in-tact '30s places that get ruined. The big trend these days is to make them "more authentic" by ripping out everything original and replacing it with Marilyn Monroe and checkerboard. These pics are about a year apart. Original '30s stools, mosaic tile floor, backbar equipment, marble counter, woodwork- all gone.

beforeafter.jpg

Flicka

One Too Many
Nope, we'll offer a lot less!

But the Dutch kitchen is pretty awesome... for instance... I present... the stroopwafel!

I love those! What other Dutch specialties are there? I'm woefully ignorant about Dutch food. I know Belgian food though, but although it's your next-dorr-neigbour, I bet it's not the same.

I also promise to drop by at least once as soon as you're open, since I'm not that far away and tend to travel quite a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy