Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dream; a 1930s Lunchroom

Unfortunately, for every restoration, there are many more in-tact '30s places that get ruined. The big trend these days is to make them "more authentic" by ripping out everything original and replacing it with Marilyn Monroe and checkerboard. These pics are about a year apart. Original '30s stools, mosaic tile floor, backbar equipment, marble counter, woodwork- all gone.

Somehow, I don't think even Marilyn Monroe would recognize it. :eeek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, for every restoration, there are many more in-tact '30s places that get ruined. The big trend these days is to make them "more authentic" by ripping out everything original and replacing it with Marilyn Monroe and checkerboard. These pics are about a year apart. Original '30s stools, mosaic tile floor, backbar equipment, marble counter, woodwork- all gone.

beforeafter.jpg

Somebody call a doctor! I feel sick...

missjo

Practically Family
Oliebollen?
No, I'd need to fry those and there won't be much hot food in my lunchroom :)
But we may get a few around the end of the year.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here's an NYC establishment that comes pretty close to what you're aiming for, I think: Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop. They've been in business since 1929. The counter predominates in most photos of the place, but there's a back room with tables (and, as you can see, some two-tops lining the wall in the front room).

eisenbergs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy