Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Favorite Years.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
You know, I've been thinking about "favorite years" and while the 1930s is probably my overrall favorite era, I get into intense moods where I'm absolutely batty about the late Fifties-early Sixties and all that that period entails: Bossa Nova, Elvis movies, Bob Hope in Bachelor in Paradise and so on. I probably have three prime eras that I go back to on a regular basis. I was on an exclusively 1930s jag for about five months last year and for the last two months its been what I call a "1965-75" mood, so my interests have been on "Swinging London" and episodes of TV shows like The Persuaders!, The Prisoner and Hawaii Five-O. I seem to have three eras I like to file like so:

1934-1945: Art Deco, Thin Man-type movies, Swing Music, Screwball comedies, etc.

1946-1953: Film Noir, Cold War History, Hudson automobiles, etc.

1954-1964: Mid-Century Modern architecture, "Lounge" music, The "Rat Pack", Cinemascope movies, etc.

1965-75: Detective shows, "Swinging London", Star Trek, ITC TV shows.

Just thought I'd share...

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm all about the style. Whether it be the clothing or the architecture, I'm in love. To be honest, what I'm counting on is when I die instead of going to heaven I'll be allowed to time travel back to the 1940's. Now wouldn't that be something!

But like you, Nathan Dodge, I'm batty for the late 50's and early 60's as well. I just think it would have been fantastic to be a teenager in Southern California during that time period.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
A man of great taste - all the above eras and events are right

Nathan Dodge said:
You know, I've been thinking about "favorite years" and while the 1930s is probably my overrall favorite era, I get into intense moods where I'm absolutely batty about the late Fifties-early Sixties and all that that period entails: Bossa Nova, Elvis movies, Bob Hope in Bachelor in Paradise and so on. I probably have three prime eras that I go back to on a regular basis. I was on an exclusively 1930s jag for about five months last year and for the last two months its been what I call a "1965-75" mood, so my interests have been on "Swinging London" and episodes of TV shows like The Persuaders!, The Prisoner and Hawaii Five-O. I seem to have three eras I like to file like so:

1934-1945: Art Deco, Thin Man-type movies, Swing Music, Screwball comedies, etc.

1954-1964: Mid-Century Modern architecture, "Lounge" music, The "Rat Pack", Cinemascope movies, etc.

For some reason I spent as lot of my youth in the early sixties in front of Warner Bros television shows.

I still visualise that famous opening scene of 77 Sunset Strip. I remember it as being everything that was so cool about America for us Aussies - even though it was all in black and white. That gave it a more intense edge methinks.

Then there were the 40s movies your folks forced you to watch - the Golden Years of Hollywood as they called it here - and now you appreciate how lucky you were that your parents exposed you to all that glamour and talent. Now we are in the era of grunge and anti-fashion! Yuk!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I have a personal interest in the "Warner Brothers" shows because of the locale of Surfside 6, which ostensibly took place in Miami. However, I was disappointed that much of the program was shot on a Burbank(?) soundstage and only a few second unit stock footage shots of Miami were used. Still, I'm still interested in the "Swingin' Detective" genre that existed from roughly 1958 to 1964 and the various spin offs that ensued. Heck, I've even made up some of my own characters to populate that same time period and essentially ripped off the concept for my own personal enjoyment. These stories will never see the light of day, and you can thank me in advance for that!;)

Sorry for the detour on this thread; maybe we can start a new topic about said subject...:eusa_clap

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Streamline. Design. Architecture. Clothing. Minimalism + elegance. The idea of a cocktail hour, dinner and dancing, and wearing the right clothing for the occasion. The romance of traversing the country by train, or the ocean by liner. The music. Whenever I need a fix I go here (virtually) and browse:
http://www.artdecocollection.com/

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
The Art Deco Years. Everything looked great. Clothes, clocks, and cars,to appliances, aircraft,and art.

Men were men and women were women. Music was classy. Oceanliners were the only way to cross. Everything had style.

So what do you love about this golden era?

I love the fact that it led to this forum... I do believe that this is the VERY first thread/post.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Streamline. Design. Architecture. Clothing. Minimalism + elegance. The idea of a cocktail hour, dinner and dancing, and wearing the right clothing for the occasion. The romance of traversing the country by train, or the ocean by liner. The music. Whenever I need a fix I go here (virtually) and browse:
http://www.artdecocollection.com/

Great link. I also appreciate the sleek design that marked the era.

I got a kick out of this the first time I saw it. (1925)

1925-wide.jpg

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I totally agree BUT if you were black, poor, a woman, or gay...you probably had a harder life than you would today (not that living today is a piece of cake).

What we should bring back from that period (beside the music, clothes, and style) are the manners and decorum. That seems to be something that we can do no matter your status in life.

I've read a lot of great responses to this post. Thanks Brian, for the reminders of the realism of the age. When we look back on the good, we often tend to neglect the bad.

Picking up an issue of GQ always reassures me that there are still those out there who know how to look sharp.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I seem to have three eras I like to file like so:

Great time periods that Nathan Dodge listed some time ago. I would end the third in 1963, and start the last in 1964, though, just to be petty.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy