Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first hat

Mark G

A-List Customer
I just finished my first hat. I bought my dad a Stetson fedora about five years ago and he's worn it so much that the sweat band is toast. So I thought that for Christmas I'd make him a hat. I bought the hat parts from a supplier (much harder to find than I thought). They included a black rabbit fur body made in the Chech Republic, some millinary ribbon, lining, and a reeded leather sweat band. I'm a wood worker so I turned a hat block and sealed it with epoxy. I used hot water to size the blank and clamping a wooden caul over the top, let it dry for a day. I made a simple guide to cut the hat brim to size and used a razor to shave the long hairs. I didn't have the guts to flame them off, maybe next time.. I wanted to have a 2 1/2" brim but had to settle for 2 1/4" because I had to do it twice. Oh well. I ironed the brim and crown to set the shape and used a Scout hat stiffener on the inside and out to give it some body. A gold pen marked the hat on the band and liner with custom made for etc. I used a hat stretcher to size the sweat band and after sewing it together and applying the bow in the back, I put the band in. This to me was the toughest thing to get right. It took me a couple of tries to get a smooth even band without bunching. After that the rest was pretty easy. I put the ribbon on and made a bow, then put the liner in with glue. This didn't quite come out as nice as I wanted. It was puckered and hard to get even. I steamed the hat and put in a diamond crown and shaped the brim. All in all, I don't think Mr. Fawcett has anything to worry about, but I had fun and my dad will be getting something more unique than a striped tie.

I have two rabbits and have been saving the down fur for about a year; next time I might try making the felt as well. I have other pictures if anyone is interested.

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

Mark G

A-List Customer
Thanks. The company is Hats by Leko. www.hatsupply.com. It's the only place I could find to purchase a hat body. In fact it's very hard to find any information on hat making at all. This board has been the best scorce of information I have found yet. Cheers.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Thanks guys. I made the block from pine (most hatters, use poplar but pine is what I had) slightly larger than my hat size to allow for the sweat-band (my dad and I share the same size noggin) I made this one five inches tall but I think the next will be five and a half. I then screwed it to a piece of plywood so I could make a clean transition for the brim. I made another piece of plywood with a cut out for the crown, and after dipping the body in hot water stretched it over the block and worked the transition. I then put the cutout over it and clamped it down. After it was dry then I ironed it, sanded, and cut the brim.

I've been creasing my own hats for about twenty years (mostly western), so I've searched for anything on making hats. It's a hodge podge of sources, including this site.

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner