Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first project

maintcoder

A-List Customer
After seeing Shamus remake a recent purchase, I decided to give it a try myself. I recently won these two auctions -
Brown Stetson
Grey Stetson

The brown hat only needed a bit of cleaning. It is of newer vintage as the liner is glued in and I have been wearing it today. I am pretty happy with the purchase.

But the grey hat looked like this when I received it yesterday (I turned the brim up)...

front
side
back
side

and my daughter said I looked like Rocky from Looney Tunes when I tried it on.

After a good brushing and a bit of steaming, this was the result...
front
side
back
side

Let me know what you ladies and gentlemen think. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, tips or tricks for this type of project. I am unsure this is the right hat for this type of project due to the curl and ribbon on the brim.

Thanks!

shamus

Suspended
Nice buys!

I also think that grey one might look better as a homburg as the rim edge is so thick. The felt looks really soft in the pics. Does it have a model name?

But that aside, you did a great job with the tea kettle! I never realize how easy it is to do. It makes you look at old crumpled up hats with a different eye doesn't it.

I actually did a light touch up on my open road, to match Jimmy's from the FBI story.

What size are you? I just picked up another Open road in a 7 1/4 long oval. I should get it next week.

I'm with epic610 and shamus on this one, maintcoder. That grey Homburg begs for a Homburg edge and a center bash. I have a nice black Knox Homburg I very rarely wear because the brim bends up too much at the sides to suit the shape of my face. I like the look of the brim on yours in the "before" shots, and I'm hoping to hear from someone here on how I can make mine like it--flatter all around while maintaining the uniform edge curl.
Judging by that photo in your avatar, I'm guessing you'd look quite distinguished in a grey Homburg. I vote for giving it a try that way--with the brim turned up all around and just a straight bash down the center of the crown.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Thanks

Thanks for the help, everyone. I wasn't totally sure if one hat could be 'switched' into another (like some western hats can be remade into fedoras). The hat itself does seem to have a desire to have the brim up. I will re-steam it today or tomorrow into a homburg shape and see how it goes.

Shamus, I am a 7 1/4 also. I look forward to seeing the new Open Road when you finish it. And the model name on the grey hat is Royal De Luxe Stetson St. Regis. I couldn't much information regarding that model, but perhaps others here have better resources than just a simple google search.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have a couple St. Regis homburgs, and I see them online off and on with the brim curled down like on the ebay listing. I think sellers do it because they don't think the Homburgs will catch a good price, and many just don't know any better and figure it is a fedora and try to snap the brim down.

If you want to re-homburg the hat I suggest you send it to a hatter who has the correct equipment to curl the brim up the way it was originally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21