Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first real vintage purchase!

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I just won this beautiful ~1930s blue pinstripe 3-piece DB suit on eBay (apologies to any FL members who might have been bidding):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270438333091

I can't wait to receive it, and I'll certainly post pictures once I have a few alterations (sleeves and pants shortened cuffed). I'll post pre-alteration pics if anyone would like, too, of course.

I'm very excited. I paid a fair bit more than I hoped to, but my summer internship paid handsomely enough to justify it, so I am very happy. This is my first "true" vintage purchase. In the past, I have had MTM suits made to recreate Golden Era styles, but this is the first suit I'll own that is actually from that time.

:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hey, don't apologize!

Don't apologize for bidding on it, for heaven's sake! I think you'll be VERY happy with it and look totally cool.
Your real crime, for which I'll NEVER forgive you, is being skinny enough for it to fit you! ;)
Enjoy! Post pics! You of course have the hat to top it off? And a 38 Buick coupe would go good, too. ;) ;)

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
I have multiple fedoras to top it off, though none can honestly do it justice enough on my college student funds, which sadly keep me from a '38 Buick as well. But there will certainly be multiple appropriate--if less than vintage--hats to accompany it. (You can see my latest in "show us your suits.")

Bugsy

One Too Many
kuwisdelu said:
Hi all,

I just won this beautiful ~1930s blue pinstripe 3-piece DB suit on eBay (apologies to any FL members who might have been bidding):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270438333091

I can't wait to receive it, and I'll certainly post pictures once I have a few alterations (sleeves and pants shortened cuffed). I'll post pre-alteration pics if anyone would like, too, of course.

I'm very excited. I paid a fair bit more than I hoped to, but my summer internship paid handsomely enough to justify it, so I am very happy. This is my first "true" vintage purchase. In the past, I have had MTM suits made to recreate Golden Era styles, but this is the first suit I'll own that is actually from that time.

:)

What a beautiful suit!! :eusa_clap Congratulations. :eusa_clap I think we are all anticipating wonderful pictures from head to toe.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
first pictures!

Hey everyone! The suit just arrived, so here are some quick pics of it, pre-alterations. The jacket pretty much fits like a glove, so the most it may require is I might have the sleeves shortened a little to show some cuff. The trousers are a close fit, but a tiny bit tight and way too long. The waistcoat is perfect.

Everything is in great condition. The only flaws are a little discoloration here and there and the hems are coming loose at the top of the waistcoat and the top of the trousers, but these are easy fixes.

Unfortunately, my friend has my real camera, so these are just from my MacBook's camera**. I just took these now at about 11pm with some bad lighting, so please forgive the quality!

**this is why the pocket square is on the wrong side...I flipped the pictures with the label, but forgot to flip for the rest of them, so they are all mirrored.

A semi-full body shot to get an idea of the fit and silhouette (excuse the lighting):
vtg_suit2.jpg

And here you can actually see the pinstripes and the blue of the suit showing through. Excuse the massive tie knot....my modern ties are far too long for the high rise of the trousers to accommodate my usual four-in-hand, so I did a quick half-windsor with the one I was wearing:
vtg_suit3.jpg

Another close-up so you can see the stripes. The pocket square was thrown in by the seller, pre-folded! Symmetric buttonholes on lapels:
vtg_suit4.jpg

Requisite intimidating/Dillinger shot :D:
vtg_suit5.jpg

Unbuttoned to show off the waistcoat:
vtg_suit6.jpg

Me in just the waistcoat:
vtg_suit7.jpg

The label:
vtg_suit8.jpg

Something interesting I noticed--the owner did some self-repair on the primary buttoning point. You can see where he re-stitched the button back on through the lining right at the end of my thumb. Comparing the thread to the other buttons, it's clear it's a self-job since the rest of the buttons are stitched with a dark navy thread and this one is black:
vtg_suit9.jpg

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it, and very happy to finally have my first real 1930's suit. It's a great extra-bonus for me that it's from Milwaukee. My great-grandparents met in Milwaukee just past the turn of the century. My great-grandmother was born in 1893, and I don't know when my great-grandfather was born, but I do know they resided there for some time. I like to imagine my great-grandfather buying a suit just like this there back then. Who knows? It could be his! :)

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Update on my new suit:

I still haven't been brave enough to attempt alterations on it, but they will be coming.

The union label suggests it originates sometime from 1936-1939.

And interestingly, though it doesn't exist anymore, I was able to actually find some pictures of the store it came from in Milwaukee:

Lawton's Clothes:

The photos are from the Milwaukee public library archives and were taken in the early 40's.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
scottyrocks said:
The suit looks great on you.

The combination of your face and hair call out for one of those short-on-the-sides haircuts to complete the look. Plus, youd look great like that, in general.

This is the general idea of what I was thinking of:

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2008/06/johnny-depp-public-enemies.jpg

Thank you! I am in need of a haircut right now, and Depp's portrayal of Dillinger was definitely an inspiration. I actually tend to steal his haircuts a lot, so I might go for that look when I get my ears lowered next. In fact, I might just take in that picture and say "do this." :)

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Chrome said:
You lucky basta.... mustard :)

I bidded it too, but I knew that I'll lose if some one notices and really wants it.

Enjoy it!

Don't worry, I am definitely enjoying it, sir. I only need more occasions (and decent weather) to wear it!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
We were there, believe me ... wondering where the girls like this were. :eusa_doh:

Some of us still are.

;)

Good looking suit, especially for your first!

kuwisdelu said:
Update on my new suit:

I still haven't been brave enough to attempt alterations on it, but they will be coming.

The union label suggests it originates sometime from 1936-1939.

And interestingly, though it doesn't exist anymore, I was able to actually find some pictures of the store it came from in Milwaukee:

Lawton's Clothes:

The photos are from the Milwaukee public library archives and were taken in the early 40's.

Cool suit, man. Makes me wish I had snapped up a bunch of them when I was your age and clothing of that vintage could be had cheap at the Goodwill store.

I believe that first photo, the one I "quoted" from your post, was taken a bit more recently than the early '40s, judging from some of the cars appearing therein.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
tonyb said:
I believe that first photo, the one I "quoted" from your post, was taken a bit more recently than the early '40s, judging from some of the cars appearing therein.

Probably. The pictures are linked to the Milwaukee Public Library site where I found them. The date given on the site is simply "194?."

thunderw21 said:
Good looking suit, especially for your first!

Thank you!

ThesFlishThngs said:
Alas, missed connections and all that. Still, some lucky vintage girl has got a fine fellow to look forward too........

I sure hope so! :D Thank you for the kind words. I'll be on the lookout for her.... ;)

feltfan said:
Great suit, great research.

Those lapels will ruin you for modern suits.

Enjoy!

Heh heh I'm already ruined for modern suits. I've been saving the stipends from my internship for MTM so I can get some styles more to my liking. When my first check came, I commissioned this slate blue linen suit and specified some nice, beefy lapels:

bluelinen.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR