Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first suit :)

Jerekson

One Too Many
Graeme, the suit might not fit perfectly the way it is...but trust me, there is no better "first suit" to start off with than a high-waisted SBPL! Nice shot!

Justdog

Practically Family
Suit

You said "I guess fit is quite a personal issue. Theres proper tailored fit, personal preference fit and era specific fit. By that i mean, different age groups of a certain era would wear there clothes differently"

That is a great statement. Wear it as you like and alter it if you like, a tailors advice would not hurt. I am like you with sleeves I like them longish, those look great to me. Advice that a bit of cuff should show is a fashion truism especially with nice french cuffs. Pant cuffs would look great with a slight break at the shoes. My opinion is that it has a tailored V and the trousers fit your waist and the jacket waist matches, thats the tough one as that V shape of the jacket is just great, lapels, would never alter them. There is a thread in the OB of saved threads, http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3039, discussing single breast peak lapels HTF item. The movie star comment is correct as well check out Kirk Douglas he had suits in his prime pictures that tappered like yours. It appears in the back picture that a slight or fashionable cuff alteration to reveal the shirt cuff may make you look slightly taller.

50 and late forties are my personal favorite and that has all the elements.
Just awesome!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't going to say anything when I first saw the pictures. The reason being, if it is his first suit, why discourage him, although I don't think giving someone good info about fit is in any way rude or unkind. But i was just thinking that he, like me years ago, would eventually learn more about fit and discard or tailor his bigger suits and buy new ones that fit better. But to be honest, I think the suit is a little too big. I skinny guy can get away with a bit of oversize in the shoulders if the jacket hangs smoothly from it. But looking at the back, the shoulders look a little too big on either side and the chest is baggy. I would suggest, if you want a great fit, have the sleeves removed and the jacket taken in a size and the sleeves put back on. this is extreme, but not necesserily too expensive. It might give a perfect length on the sleeves. short of that, I would say take in the chest by taking in the two seams on the sides of the back.

If you like the fit, then be happy because it doesn't look terrible or anything and is a great suit. But if you want a perfect fit, that is what I recommend.

Justdog

Practically Family
Agree

reetpleat said:
I wasn't going to say anything when I first saw the pictures. The reason being, if it is his first suit, why discourage him, although I don't think giving someone good info about fit is in any way rude or unkind. But i was just thinking that he, like me years ago, would eventually learn more about fit and discard or tailor his bigger suits and buy new ones that fit better. But to be honest, I think the suit is a little too big. I skinny guy can get away with a bit of oversize in the shoulders if the jacket hangs smoothly from it. But looking at the back, the shoulders look a little too big on either side and the chest is baggy. I would suggest, if you want a great fit, have the sleeves removed and the jacket taken in a size and the sleeves put back on. this is extreme, but not necesserily too expensive. It might give a perfect length on the sleeves. short of that, I would say take in the chest by taking in the two seams on the sides of the back.

If you like the fit, then be happy because it doesn't look terrible or anything and is a great suit. But if you want a perfect fit, that is what I recommend.

Yes very good advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit