Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first suit

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
hello all.
ive been haunting the local senior center thrift store now for weeks they all know me by my first name
so i was there today the second time this week and i see this suit hanging up almost beyond reach.

So i pulled it down and looked at the label says Robert Hall Quality Clothes. The interior label is old and says copyright 1944 and has some sort of union symbol on it
appears to be wool it is dark grey or black in color. fits like it was made for me! the pants have this strange zipper ive never seen before which is triangular in design and say major on it. All the old ladies at the thrift store said i looked like a salesman in it.:-D
Besides one small tear in the top seam of the pants its in perfect shape. also it cost me 1 dollar. did i do well?
here are some pics i took of it i apologize for the quality my cam is inferior.
suit2.jpg

suit.jpg

Say, looks to be a good 'un. Single breasted right? Any chance of bigger pics? Those ones are pretty small.

And $1 i think equals the lounge record, set by Daniel Riser. My best yet is $2.50 for a great condition 20s DB that i'll post some day.

You might want to post some bigger pics in the Show us Your Suits II thread. We need to see more suits over there!

bk

p.s. "Haunting" and "senior centre thrift store" put forth a disturbing picture. Keep 'em coming!

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
skwerl-hat said:
hello all.
ive been haunting the local senior center thrift store now for weeks they all know me by my first name
so i was there today the second time this week and i see this suit hanging up almost beyond reach.

So i pulled it down and looked at the label says Robert Hall Quality Clothes. The interior label is old and says copyright 1944 and has some sort of union symbol on it
appears to be wool it is dark grey or black in color. fits like it was made for me! the pants have this strange zipper ive never seen before which is triangular in design and say major on it. All the old ladies at the thrift store said i looked like a salesman in it.:-D
Besides one small tear in the top seam of the pants its in perfect shape. also it cost me 1 dollar. did i do well?
here are some pics i took of it i apologize for the quality my cam is inferior.
Well, it is hard to tell from the pics, but a 1944 wool suit for $1, in anything approximating your size, is pretty hard to beat. Is it a three-button jacket? What sort of pockets does the jacket have? Does the jacket fit as well as the pants? Sounds like a nice catch.

shamus

Suspended
Technically, it's your second suit if you know what I mean...

Any piece of clothes that can be had for a buck is a great deal in my book.

Post some bigger pics.

Are you sure the tag says 1944 and not 1949 since you mention the Union thing...

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
hi all thanks for the responses
will try to get new pics up soon
on having checked the label more closely it says 1945 for sure.

its three button single breasted there are two pockets on the lower portion near the hips also something odd i noticed it seems to change color based on the light when its in the dark it appears black when its in the light it shows up a golden brown color this happens with both the pants and the coat. the pants seem to be unworn no wear marks at all and the fabric if it is wool is super soft doesnt scratch at all. the liner of the coat is a shiney green material.

skwerl-hat said:
t seems to change color based on the light when its in the dark it appears black when its in the light it shows up a golden brown color this happens with both the pants and the coat

Sounds like sharkskin to me. Very popular in the 60s.

On the union label, does it look like this?:

1949.jpg

Mostly the date numbers get smudged. This one's from 1949, but the jacket it came from is mid-50s. Or do you mean you have a tag where the tailor has dated his work 1945, and a separate union tag?

bk

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
baron, thats the very tag!
with the tiny date on it saying 1945 does that make it perhaps a later suit or still possibly 40s?
thanks for the add link you all are great

I'm with the chap earlier who doubts the '45 date. I reckon what ye'v got is a smudged '49 (but i'd be happy to be proved wrong).

The labels were produced with copyright 1936 (used 'til 1938), copyright 1939 (used 'til 1948), copyright 1949 (used 'til 1968). Am preparing a monograph on this issue - it comes up a lot on the lounge.

Since i suspect yours is the '49 tag, and made out of what sounds like sharksin, i'd put it at mid to late 50s.

Need better pics to help more.

bk

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
your absolutely right it does say 49!

im still having severe trouble with the picture posting does anyone know how to resize images without having them pixilize? the only software i have is paint shop for windows xp

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
skwerl-hat said:
your absolutely right it does say 49!

im still having severe trouble with the picture posting does anyone know how to resize images without having them pixilize? the only software i have is paint shop for windows xp
I use Photoshop on a Mac, but you should be able to set the pixels to 72 dots-per-inch (screen resolution) if it's not. Though, on thinking about it, that shouldn't make a difference--regardless of the resolution of the image, a browser will display it at 72 or 96 dpi. If the image resolution is set higher than that, you might try lowering it to 72. Also if there's a filter called something like "unsharp mask," you can use that after you resize the image to kill some of the pixelation.

I'm another photoshop user. Does MS paint shop have a "save for web" function? That reduces file size alot ...

If the images that appear in paint shop are the size of the ones posted above, i don't know that you can resize them without them pixilating. I think you'd be best going back to the originals - they should be much larger than the ones above when you first get them into the program. I usually make the pics i post 9cm in the smallest dimension (usually makes the wider dimension ~12cm) ...

bk

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
hi thanks for all the help i miswrote its actually paint for xp so its a pretty basic program terrible actually lol but ill try out these suggestions.
thanks
jesse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland