Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My grandfather's ties

Tom Mac

New in Town
I have a few of my grandfather's ties, and I am concerned about their condition. They are twisting, and I'm not sure what to do about it. They've always twisted a little the few times I wore them, and they have only been worn a few times by myself, about 13 years ago.
The ties twist, and I'm not sure if it's the external fabric or the inner linning. Funny thing is that one tie twists in the opposite direction of another one. Two are tagged "acetate" and the third has no tag I can find.
What should I do about these? Iron? Send them off to be relinned? (This place will do it: http://tiecrafters.com/alterations.html) or should I try rolling them up instead of hanging?
Thanks,
Tom

TopHatCat

New in Town
Dinerman said:

I'm planning on narrowing a couple of my ties in the future, not because of fashion mind you, but because of my proportions. I'm a pretty skinny guy and 4" wide ties just look clownish on me.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
it's the whole doing it because people are following fashion thing that bugs me. I can understand doing it to make them look better on you.

Tom Mac

New in Town
I have no plans on altering the ties, I just want them back the way they should be. I was thinking about this service:
Relinning - Many ties will often curl, pucker or just not lay properly. Relinning will open the tie and replace the inner linning. This service will restore a problem tie to it's original beauty.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Narrowing or widening a tie to follow fashion makes sense to me. Except it is usually more than just the width that changes.

However, I am wondering what I can do with my ties that are wrinkled and slightly twisted. These are forties rayon ties mostly. Steaming makes them out of shape and ironing messes up the fabric and creases them badly.

any ideas.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Relining sounds great. I've got a '50's tie where the material that it's lined with has deteriorated and makes the tie itchy somehow. Don't ask, you'd have to be wearing it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My Grandfather's tie

You just started my brain going "My grandfather's tie was too large for his neck, so it hung forty years round his waist . . . ". Do kids even still sing that old song???

I know that when I send a tie like that off to be dry cleaned it comes back laying flat. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned and pressed. It can't hurt--unless the dry cleaner is a total idiot. Yes, I had a few vintage ties ruined by hotel cleaning services. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

P.S. What kind of knot do you tie?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner