Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Howard Hughes style Hollywood Jacket

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello Everyone,
I finally got my new Howard Hughes Hollywood Jacket and I am very pleased with it. It was, however, quite the process.

In early December, I decided to replicate the Hollywood Jacket from "The Aviator," so I sent a photo from the film to one of the South-Asian custom tailoring operations. They said they could do it... for $500. -A little rich for my blood.

So, I hunted around for someone else to make it for me and I found ReVamp vintage's "Grant" jacket, which is close, but the wrong color. I emailed Annamarie, who is an absolute sweetheart and asked her if she could make it in another color. I sent her the photo from "The Aviator." She said she would make it if I sent her the material.

So, I hunted around the internet for fabric and found a nice tweed, brown gabardine, and some silk for the lining. I had it shipped to her. The fabric cost about $75 and Annamarie charged me $125 to make it, a whole lot less expensive than the $500 the other place wanted to charge.

It would have been ready in two weeks, but the silk for the lining was lost in transit and I was away in Belize.

Finally, it was done and it arrived at my door. I emailed Wild Root a few pics and he gave me a ton of information about the jackets. -Thank you very much, sir!- He also taught me how to wear it and what to wear it with. We both decided that it could use some tailoring, so off it went to my tailor for a week.

Finally, I have it and here it is. I am very happy to have it.

Funny though, now I want an original!

It will take a little time for me to break this jacket in and to feel comfortable in it. I'm sure, once I do, It will be one of my favorites.

BTW, the hat is my vintage Borsalino, the shoes are my Alfred Sargeants, and the pants are just gray slacks from LL Bean. I hope you all like it.:)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Howard,... is that you??

Hey man, looking good! You know, it isn't a bad copy and you did well for your first custom made order. The look is good and as you wear it more, you'll find your self as you mentioned wanting an original. Now, keep your eyes on ebay because they do turn up and for the price you paid for the copy you had made.

Over all it looks good but, may I suggest something? The sleeves may feel correct for a modern fit but, what might help the look out a little is to have the sleeves taken up an inch. The proper fit for the time period is to have them ride at the wrist.

Here's a photo of Howard:
hh1.jpg

When a coat like this is worn, it's always good to wear it like you don't care... button the two top or the middle two. Bottom is mostly always left undone, don't ask me why but, that's what I always see. It's a very casual style so, wear it as such.

Ok, I'm done, you've had enough vintage nonsense tossed at you to this point. All you have to do is enjoy it!

=WR=

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
That's a great look! I also had a hollywood jacket recently reproduced. The front and back panel are a purple-ish wine, while the sleeves, collar, and pocket details are a light and dark brown houndstooth check with purple-ish wine cross-hatches running through it. After doing the final fitting this weekend, our tailors are putting the final touches on it. I had it based on vintage sketches and footage from old movies. The final product came out pretty nice. In the meantime I had tracked down (finally) an original piece for the tailor to copy in the future..

Flitcraft

One Too Many
"Excuse me, Mr. Hughes, Ava Gardner to see you..."

Wow! That looks great!
Well worth the wait. Like the whole look in the photos, too!

Wild Root is right- wear it like you own the joint!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
Hey man, looking good! ...
Over all it looks good but, may I suggest something? The sleeves may feel correct for a modern fit but, what might help the look out a little is to have the sleeves taken up an inch. The proper fit for the time period is to have them ride at the wrist...

=WR=
Thank you, WR, and thanks for your help through the process. I think you are right about the sleeves. The funny thing here is that I set out to copy the Leonardo DiCaprio jacket more than the Howard Hughes! I wish I had better pictures at the time of Howard's. In retrospect, Howard's is much cooler. Leo's has the long sleeves and Annamarie copied them from the photo.

Though, you can only tell by how it bunches up in this photo, check out his sleeve length the next time you see "The Aviator."

I am debating taking it back to the tailor, but for now, I simply want to enjoy it. ;)

resortes805, I hope you post some photos of that jacket when you get it. I would love to see it.

Solid Citizen, thank you for your kind remarks.
I have all of the information on the fabric and yardage at home. I remember that it was an English tweed, I think 3 yards, then some brown gabardine. It is lined with 2 yards of china silk in chocolate brown. I can PM you with the specifics once I get home.

Flitcraft, Thanks Buddy! Much appreciated.

My views on Hollywood jackets are known from another thread. You look good in yours. I agree with Root (and your good self) on the arm length.

Is the jacket a little short in the body? it seems that way to me, but it could just be the photo angle. What do you think, having worn it?

bk

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
When a coat like this is worn, it's always good to wear it like you don't care... button the two top or the middle two. Bottom is mostly always left undone, don't ask me why but, that's what I always see. =WR=

When the bottom button is left undone, the fabric lies smoothly when you sit. If you button it, the fabric bunches up. I've also seen people unbutton their jackets entirely when they sit (if it's just one or two buttons).

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
My views on Hollywood jackets are known from another thread. You look good in yours. I agree with Root (and your good self) on the arm length.

Is the jacket a little short in the body? it seems that way to me, but it could just be the photo angle. What do you think, having worn it?
bk
Baron, I think it may be a tad short, though I have seen vintage ones a bit shorter and some longer. It's not as short as it looks in the middle photo; I think that is a result of Daisy shooting at an upward angle. The photo on the right shows it a bit more realistically.

Thank you, Feraud!

Hemingway Jones said:
Baron, I think it may be a tad short, though I have seen vintage ones a bit shorter and some longer. It's not as short as it looks in the middle photo; I think that is a result of Daisy shooting at an upward angle. The photo on the right shows it a bit more realistically.

That's what i thought. I didn't know which pic was more accurate.

bk

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think these pic's don't do the jacket all the justice it deserves. In person, it looks great on, and I think it fit's perfectly. Hem, you get a little OCD when it comes to fit. I guess that's why you chose to emulate a Howard Hughes jacket!
The sleeves are not too long, the back is not too tight, and it definitely is not too short. I think the photographer stunk who took these pictures. Oh, wait a minute, I took them!
Well Hem, as always you look rather daper. Are you a daper dan man??
See you soon, and use that awesome jacket in the best of health:cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
...Hem, you get a little OCD when it comes to fit. I guess that's why you chose to emulate a Howard Hughes jacket!
The sleeves are not too long, the back is not too tight, and it definitely is not too short...
...See you soon, and use that awesome jacket in the best of health.
Thank you, my dear! I appreciate that!
Who? Me? OCD? ;)
BTW, clean your room.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Daisy Buchanan said:
The sleeves are not too long,

I don't want to harp on anything but, let me put it in a way that some may understand. ;)

For a modern fit, it's perfect. For a vintage fit and look, it would need to be taken up a little. May want to take the original photo of Howard Hughes into account. Also, this image from an original catalog may also help. Note the two on the far left.

f9242d274lh.jpg

I know that in the Aviator Dicaprio wore his coat a little long. Now, we must remember that in most modern movies about a time period they don't often get the proper fit of how something should be worn. Modern mentality comes into play.;)

It's a super coat and I'm very happy that you're enjoying it! Wear it, love it brake it in and you'll just have some dandy adventures with it! But, take it off if you find your self repeating: bring me the milk, bring me the milk, bring me the milk....:p

=WR=

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I think its perfect Wow!!!!!

I think you look outstanding in your new coat. Tim the lady did a great job for you. I need to search my town for some fabric I wear a 48 R. :cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
...For a modern fit, it's perfect. For a vintage fit and look, it would need to be taken up a little. May want to take the original photo of Howard Hughes into account. Also, this image from an original catalog may also help. Note the two on the far left.
...I know that in the Aviator Dicaprio wore his coat a little long. Now, we must remember that in most modern movies about a time period they don't often get the proper fit of how something should be worn. Modern mentality comes into play.;)

It's a super coat and I'm very happy that you're enjoying it! Wear it, love it brake it in and you'll just have some dandy adventures with it! But, take it off if you find your self repeating: bring me the milk, bring me the milk, bring me the milk....:p

=WR=
Thanks Pal and you're right. Once again, where I went astray was, I asked Annamarie to replicate the jacket from "The Aviator" and I should have gone with Howard's original. In retrospect, that's what I should have done, and perhaps it will be my next project.

I still love this jacket though and I will definitely bring it with me to the next QM.

Personally, I think that replicating vintage clothes is the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...
;) :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SHARPETOYS said:
I think you look outstanding in your new coat. Tim the lady did a great job for you. I need to search my town for some fabric I wear a 48 R. :cheers1:
Thank you, sir! It's nice to hear from you also.
Highest Regards!
-HJ
BTW, if you want to know the material I used, I could send you the links. -I kept them at home.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
Personally, I think that replicating vintage clothes is the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...
;) :)

Oh no, it's starting already!:p

Enjoy that coat man, it looks good!

=WR=

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just to add my two cents........coming from someone who owns many types of these jackets (see the Hollywood Jackets thread), there are two types: the longer, looser fitting kind, and the kind you now own HJ, a style that almost, for lack of a better description, fits like a big shirt. So in that respect, it looks "correct"! Good job!!
flat-top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass