Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my imagination or did i wake up in the wrong time

Tiller

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Curse and spit?! Who thinks it's acceptable to spit these days?! I'm shocked. Do you regularly witness this? I didn't even know that spitting was considered an acceptable norm in this part of the world.

My dear, you most not have grown up in a rural area. Around here their are many men (usually between the age of 30-90) who chew tobacco, and spit a lot. Admittedly after a few years of chewing though your not suppose to "spit" anymore, since only "sissies" spit and real men umm swallow... their chew spit that is lol. The funny thing about it is though, I've seen two big tough guys arguing against each other at the local VFW over this issue, and almost died laughing, the argument went something like this.

"I can't believe you spit! Aren't you a man?"
"Just cause I don't like all that juice in my mouth doesn't make me less of a man!"
"Bullshit! A real men knows they have to swallow, or else your just a damn sissy, and might as well take it out of your mouth. My father did it all of his life, and he never spit! Men were better back then though."

lol Needless to say if you didn't know what they were talking about the conversation can sound pretty humorous.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
:eek: I live in a rural area and I have NEVER heard of anyone swallowing!!! :eek:

everyone does it though. Mainly snuff though, not chew.[huh] maybe that's the difference?

Tiller

Practically Family
Caity Lynn said:
:eek: I live in a rural area and I have NEVER heard of anyone swallowing!!! :eek:

everyone does it though. Mainly snuff though, not chew.[huh] maybe that's the difference?

Well must people call snuff chew, but their really not the same thing. Real chew is Beachnut, Red Men, (It's longer cut of tobacco leaf that comes most often in a Pouch. Unlike snuff which comes in a can, and is cut much finer.) and the like, which is "chewed" in order to enjoy, which causing lots of spit naturally. Snuff (Copenhagen, Skoal, Grizzly, ect) causes people to spit less, and you don't chew on it (it's far to fine for that), you simply put it between your gum and lip. When people talk though, they usually use snuff and chew interchangeably (Chewing tobacco is mostly a product of the older crowd, and those who enjoy the sweet taste), and (around here at least) you here the same arguments about "spit or swallow" for both products.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Tiller said:
Well must people call snuff chew, but their really not the same thing. Real chew is Beachnut, Red Men, (It's longer cut of tobacco leaf that comes most often in a Pouch. Unlike snuff which comes in a can, and is cut much finer.) and the like, which is "chewed" in order to enjoy, which causing lots of spit naturally. Snuff (Copenhagen, Skoal, Grizzly, ect) causes people to spit less, and you don't chew on it (it's far to fine for that), you simply put it between your gum and lip. When people talk though, they usually use snuff and chew interchangeably (Chewing tobacco is mostly a product of the older crowd, and those who enjoy the sweet taste), and (around here at least) you here the same arguments about "spit or swallow" for both products.

Erm...I do realize the difference...but if the arguments are there for both I've still never heard it :)

Kids start dipping around 14-15 here, It's ridiculous

Viola said:
My mom was a bit of a hippie and she always gets on me about "that's my MOTHER'S generation!" for stuff I like as far as clothes/hair/makeup.

And she doesn't like my music, especially not Hank Williams or Frank Sinatra.

My mom is a Hank Williams fan, but my folks get on me for Sinatra all the time, which I listen to A LOT haha. My dad was in his prime during Disco and my mom during the era of hair bands. They can't figure me out haha.

And as for tobacco chewing, I just decided that since I'm trying to find a nice lady, I better quit. I was a conniseur so to speak. I used everything from Copenhagen to Grizzly to Redman to Southern Pride (my favorite) and even chewed plug now and then, as well as smoking cigarettes, cigars, and a pipe. I just decided that it would be more mannerly and more pleasing to a lady if a gentleman not have such a nasty habit. And I hated carrying a spitter, and once took a swig of one in my car by mistake! Never use a Dr. Pepper bottle!

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Are you in Woodstock? Is that the Victoria case, how terrible, it's probably beyond hope now, but I want the police to find her. Up her in North Bay, I remember when they found a murdered newborn in a plastic bag behind a school -just awful. Sorry to bog the thread down, but crimes like those make me sick.

I'm only 19,well nearly 20, and have lived in the same house most of my life and we never really locked our doors or worried about those things until a few years ago when a few families moved in around the area and now everything in vandilized and covered in spraypaint. And there are not alot of things to spraypaint (Too many pine trees) so they put grafiti on the paved streets. We lock the doors now.

Oh, but I did get a summer job because of my brothers reputation, and another through my mothers reputation.

Foofoogal

Banned
My grandfather was born in 1886 and spit snuff all his life. Definitely a real man and tough as nails. My grandmother also dipped snuff and had a spitting can. Very common in old days for ladies to dip snuff and it was not seen as unladylike.
When I was young at a slumber party someone dared me to try snuff. My mouth was on fire and I definitely spit is out.
I have never heard of anyone swallowing snuff either. :eek:fftopic:
Antique snuff bottles are very expensive and can be quite beautiful.
http://www.quitguide.com/images/snuff-ladies6.jpg
ouch...it went in my grandmothers mouth and not nose though.
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/snuff.htm

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
I drank a little at 15 and I only didn't smoke because I couldn't afford it (A lot of girls I knew were into ballet and smoked to keep from gaining weight) - it didn't do me too much harm, and I grew out of it. Probably even vintage, if not attractive.

I think a lot of people go through that awkward teenage phase without growing up to be bad people. :eek:
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with drinking at 15, I like a beer now and then too myself and did at 15. But these people I mentioned are the type that binge drink, not just enjoy a little bit. As for the smoking, it's even illegal at their age so I don't think it's as acceptable these days. So while I agree that many teenagers go through an awkward phase, I think it's more than just a phase for these people; given the chance these are the sorts of teenage muggers/murderers you can read about in the papers (English papers that is, I don't know about American ones). I'm not being overdramatic, since English loungers will agree with me about how dangerous these "chavs" can be.

Again, don't be put off visiting England from what I say, like all places there are good and bad parts.

EDIT: another thing which really bothers me is vandalism, again by these "chavs". So often the same bus shelter I pass every day is smashed. It costs the council money, which indirectly costs the population. And worse for me, I cycle and I don't want flat tyres as that too costs money to repair.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
It wasn't that long ago when we didn't lock our doors if we went out during the day... only 15 years ago.

We still have a sense of community in my small town (pop. 6,000 & 1 Starkbucks), but for me personally I think that has more to do with being involved locally, mainly politics but socially too. A few years ago, when flood waters threatened part of the community, we all rallied and did our part to help those in imminent danger of flooding. It was quite heartwarming to see such cooperation nowadays. Gives me hope that people still care about their fellow man.

Unfortunately, in a more mobile society you're less likely to put down roots in a town for any serious amount of time to get to know your neighbours enough to have such a strong sense of community. Also, with the majority of both parents working there's less involvement in the growth of individual families, which is the foundation of any community.

That's my take on things.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well...this IS bad news. As someone from the US who has spent a fair amount of time in "northern southern" rural Ontario...various places (Durham; near floatin' Proton (Honeywood); Belwood; Mitchell)...going to Ontario was like going back 50 years in time, and I mean that for good (mostly) and for bad (very little, but some). You go through those towns and out on those long, long straight roads....farmers, truckers, and folks wave at you; people are nicer than we're accustomed to here; and when you see a sign out front of the Canadian Legion that says COMMUNITY SING THURS NITE...you figure it's probably full.

Western civilization isn't a course in schools anymore...and its beginning to be not much of anything else, either, IMHO. I neither hate my own country, nor Western civilization...quite to the contrary: I think both have given so much to the world that people have forgotten that things can be different. VERY different. We seem to be in decline just now...and if the rot has gotten into rural Canada....oh boy.

Well, THAT's spoiled the end of my day.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

Sadly, the troubles of the inner city, crome, drug abuse etc have definitely found their way to the country. mainly Meth. Not that alcohol abuse ws not an issue in the past. But if meth has not come to your town, consider yourself very lucky.

On the other hand, children were abducted, people were murdered, drugs were abused. It just was treated differently by the media and it seems to have been more of a problem mostly affecting the poor. Maybe the rest can no longer ignore it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well...this IS bad news. As someone from the US who has spent a fair amount of time in "northern southern" rural Ontario...various places (Durham; near floatin' Proton (Honeywood); Belwood; Mitchell)...going to Ontario was like going back 50 years in time, and I mean that for good (mostly) and for bad (very little, but some). You go through those towns and out on those long, long straight roads....farmers, truckers, and folks wave at you; people are nicer than we're accustomed to here; and when you see a sign out front of the Canadian Legion that says COMMUNITY SING THURS NITE...you figure it's probably full.
QUOTE]

My father mostly grew up on a farm about twenty miles south of Scranton, PA. I've spent a few summers there, and can honestly say that I never witnessed nor heard of any serious crime being committed in the area. It's common to see men toting their rifles in the fields, and "storing" them in a corner of the kitchen (with ammo on top of the refrigerator). My relatives don't lock the front door of the farmhouse at night, and only do so in the day if everybody is leaving to go somewhere (although the dogs still keep an eye on the farm).

Yup, if it could only be like Mayberry again. We have security cameras an alarm system, a buzzer at the end of the drive and all that fun stuff. There's no getting anywhere near my house without somebody knowing. Come a long way from not having to lock your doors because people were respectful!

59Lark

Practically Family
update on this misery.

Just when i didnt think that I would write anymore additions to this, my eldest 15 terrified my youngest 7 that she too could be taken away. The problem is that oldest has aspberger and everything is literal and has to acurate and no holds back, no feelings . So sleeping till midnight next to the 7 who is probably having nightmares. The update is that the family who child was taken, had a strange visit this week. A large black lincoln limo, came to their tenant housing and said a person wanted to see them in toronto. They wouldnt say and this family, other child and all piled in and went to toronto. To a large hotel , and met someone, ie rich who offered to pay any ransom if offered by the kidnappers. NO name was given only that they had lost a child in similar circumstance and wanted to help. NOW the family says the reason they got in the car, they thought that they were going to see some miss brown, famous physic, dont think that i would get in a limo if I didnt know who and where it was going. My street is fairly safe and the working class still outnumbered the walking dead, and there are no crack houses on my street. 59Lark

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
There is one member of my family that often says I was born 50 years to early.

My thoughts each era has it's advantage but I try not to let the outside world / society influence what I want to do/wear as much as possible.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have a great fondness and a strong interest in the lifestyle and culture of the first half of the 20th century, but I could easily compile a list of things that were worse then that is every bit as long as any list of things that were better then might be.

And sadly, children went missing then, too, just as now. If you want an idea of just how rough life was in a small town just before the turn of the 20th century, pick up a copy of Michael Lesy’s book Wisconsin Death Trip -- it's a real eye-opener.

People have been bemoaning the decline of civilization since the days of the ancient Greeks. And they've been right -- and wrong -- all along.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
skyvue said:
I have a great fondness and a strong interest in the lifestyle and culture of the first half of the 20th century, but I could easily compile a list of things that were worse then that is every bit as long as any list of things that were better then might be.

And sadly, children went missing then, too, just as now. If you want an idea of just how rough life was in a small town just before the turn of the 20th century, pick up a copy of Michael Lesy’s book Wisconsin Death Trip -- it's a real eye-opener.

People have been bemoaning the decline of civilization since the days of the ancient Greeks. And they've been right -- and wrong -- all along.

A point well made, thank you.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
My dear, you most not have grown up in a rural area. Around here their are many men (usually between the age of 30-90) who chew tobacco, and spit a lot. Admittedly after a few years of chewing though your not suppose to "spit" anymore, since only "sissies" spit and real men umm swallow... their chew spit that is lol. The funny thing about it is though, I've seen two big tough guys arguing against each other at the local VFW over this issue, and almost died laughing, the argument went something like this.

"I can't believe you spit! Aren't you a man?"
"Just cause I don't like all that juice in my mouth doesn't make me less of a man!"
"Bullshit! A real men knows they have to swallow, or else your just a damn sissy, and might as well take it out of your mouth. My father did it all of his life, and he never spit! Men were better back then though."

lol Needless to say if you didn't know what they were talking about the conversation can sound pretty humorous.

That made me laugh really hard:D

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
59Lark said:
Did you ever have the feeling you were left behind, not talking about aliens...
I totally understand what you mean. I'm only 21, but I was born and grew up in a smallish Southern town (13,000 people). We never had to lock any of our doors, we went outside, up the mountain, and down the road alone, no one ever bothered us. Everyone in the neighborhood, if not the whole town, would wave at you. People would share vegetables and fruit from their gardens, their canned food, their apple butter. I used to go out walking alone at night in the country, not having to be afraid of someone snatching me away or shooting me. There were tons of community events that everyone was involved in. We rarely if ever had any big problems (i.e.-kidnappings, stabbings, fights, etc.). It was a real community and everyone was watchful of everyone else (it makes me think of those neighborhood watch signs, that are still around, but I always wonder if anyone ever thinks of that anymore). Now I've moved a city over, and this city is overrun with drug problems, stabbings, shootings, fights, pollution, little to no "community" type events, kidnappings, bodies found, and so on and so forth. :eek: This city is not even that big. The population is only about 45,000 people.
I, too, sit around and wonder... "Where did the good hearted, kind, considerate people and days of my youth go?" My boyfriend and I are constantly talking about "kids and people these days" and sometimes startle ourselves and sit and wonder to each other if we really sound like 80 year olds, or if we're just perhaps anachronisms, wishing for better and more wholesome times like there used to be, even if we weren't there for the most of them.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Caity Lynn said:
you'll see the boys wearing their carharts inside and watch them open the front and lean their heads down. They've got a "spitter" (mt.dew bottle) in the inside pocket and have a dip in. I've had guys ask me to finish drinking a soda or water so they can use the bottle. Don't even make me think about the garage *shudder* or worse when I've seen them take a dip out of their mouth STORE IT go in talk to their mother, kiss her cheek with that nasty mouth and come out and resume the dip. It's terrible.

Oh dear me, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, I see that every day, too. I live in East Tennessee, and it's remarkable how many people here do that. I find it considerably repulsive. I used to waitress for a small karaoke bar and grill, and people would leave their spit bottles on my tables for me to clean up. They would even leave their empty soda cups that they had been spitting in, complete with discarded chew. It used to utterly disgust me, I didn't want to have to deal with their nasty habit. While it's everyones own choice, I suppose, I do wish people would be a bit more modest and clean about it. This isn't to say no one is, but the vast majority is not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24