Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MY LORD IT'S HOT (Summer attire questions)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Indeed. German sportswear is rare. But why do you think it is 30s and not 50s? Not that I say it isn't but detective work is interesting.
Did you ever see a (german) catalog pic?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Indeed. German sportswear is rare. But why do you think it is 30s and not 50s? Not that I say it isn't but detective work is interesting.
Did you ever see a (german) catalog pic?

I'd also love to see photos or illustrations showing such shirts!

You once posted a German magazine from 1950 - there were some variations of "exotic" summer shirts that are going in a similar direction (but much more gaudy and already quite "Americanised"):

textilwoche195012001.jpg

This one is from 1949... text mentions that loose shirts, worn like jackets, will increasingly replace safari-jackets and light sportcoats.
They all look rather "fancy" and some appear to be influenced by US fashion:

1-1.jpg

As my shirt is unlabelled and probably tailormade, the date is just an estimation on my part.
Of course there is a good chance that it is 40's or 50's.
But I see nothing that would speak against 30's.
It was actually offered as a "WW2 tropical uniform", but it clearly is civilian.

The collar with "shawl lapels" at least is certainly a kind of spearpointy "Schiller collar" variety, similar to this 1928 image you posted:

52sy.jpg

The overall quality and treatment of pockets, interlining etc. is quite similar to my German 30's summer sportcoat:

SAM_3427.jpg

Somm2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot