Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New 1926 Apartment

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm moving next weekend to a swell apartment building in Philadelphia. If you don't mind, I'd like to show it off a bit! Please excuse the quality of photos -- all I had on me when we went to look at it was my Razr phone.

77579.jpg

The building, built in 1926. Only now it's almost completely covered in ivy!

11-26-07_1639.jpg

The entrance into my section

11-26-07_1701.jpg

The inside door

11-26-07_1643.jpg

The kitchen

11-26-07_1644.jpg

I adore this nook in the dining room! Does anyone know what this would have been used for?

11-26-07_1645.jpg

Dining room

11-26-07_1648.jpg

Crystal doorknobs and old keyholes. Does anyone know exactly what era these are from?

11-26-07_1647.jpg

Spare bedroom

11-26-07_1654.jpg

The Main Bedroom

MORE.....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
11-26-07_1649.jpg

Bathroom

11-26-07_1650.jpg

SHower door with the apartment crest. Is this original?

11-26-07_1651.jpg

11-26-07_1656.jpg

A view from the living room to the entrance. I love all the arched doorways! There's 3 different closets in that small hallway.

I'm in love!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love it! My house is from 1920 and has the glass doorknobs and keyholes (and a skeleton key!). The bathroom has the same tiles as yours. That nook: was that for an upright piano? A cabinet? Seems I used to know and can't quite remember. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would think a china cabinet, as for the recess and such. Great place and HUGE!!! Im use to SF standards, so when someone says apt, I think two rooms lol

LD

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Those are really cool pictures; thanks for sharing! I always like looking at other peoples' vintage homes. Vintage buildings just have so much more character than cookie-cutter homes built today.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
Those are really cool pictures; thanks for sharing! I always like looking at other peoples' vintage homes. Vintage buildings just have so much more character than cookie-cutter homes built today.

Absolutely!
In this building, no two floor plans are exactly the same. They pride themselves on that and the "vintageness" of it all.

My ideal home!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
What a great apartment--loads of charm with those shaped doorways and crystal doorknobs. I especially love the bathroom. I hope you post pictures after you've moved in and decorated.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
That place is great; the photos even make me picture F.Scott & Zelda.

The parents' first house my parents had arched doorways, as well. It's odd that, as young as I was, I remember that detail.

I also think the nook in the dining room was probably for a china cabinet.

Weston

A-List Customer
My jealousy runs into the profound depths. I cannot believe your luck! I second the demand for decorated photos.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful place... and it looks well-maintained.

We lived in an apartment built in 1911 and it too was eccentric in layout. No two apartments were the same and some of the second floor units had secret stairways to the basement!!! All units had back decks that looked out onto a wide courtyard with a lawn and the original mews.

All the interior fixtures were original, and by all, I mean ALL. The wiring - knob and tube - wasn't even grounded and the floors hadn't been sanded or refinished since, probably, ever, so walking barefoot was a bad idea, unless strolling over hedgehogs is something that gives you pleasure. Eventually a developer got hold of the place and it is now coming down to make room for a mish-mash of 80 cookie cuttter units.

Crying shame... so, love your new place.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I am PEA GREEN with envy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I knew about that when I was living in Philly!!! When do you move in?

I suspect the nook was for a china cabinet or bureau of some sort....

LOVE IT congrats!!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Congratulations!

Amy Jeanne,

The place looks great!. The old apt buildings in Phila have so much character. And space...2 BDR and plenty of closet space:D. I would say that the nook in the dining room is for a hutch or china cabinet, that sort of thing.

Good luck and have fun decorating...that is alway the best part of a move, getting everything just so in the new pad. I hope the weather holds out for you. Be thankful you aren't moving this weekend in the snow and rain and ice and YUK...

Miss Brill

One Too Many
So pretty! I always wish I had an old house around the holidays--great bones for decorating.

ETA: From This Old House--
There once was a time — 80 or so years ago — when multifaceted glass doorknobs with mirrored star-burst centers were standard issue in new homes. Today, they are mined like diamonds at salvage yards and flea markets. Unlike the flimsy "builder's special" models now sold at he corner hardware store, glass knobs from the first half of the 20th century were made to last, mounted in steel or brass shanks, as opposed to the brittle metal alloy and plastic ones used now, says Brad Kittel, president of the Antique Doorknob Collectors of America. Their enduring craftsmanship and design — and their ability to work with most modern locksets — have earned them preferential status among owners of old and new houses alike.

leaette

A-List Customer
oh you will love that place! it's fantastic. now that's an apt that you can show off with pride!

i say you should put a buffet cabinet in that nook in the dining room. a china cabinet is a good idea too.

i LOVE your bathroom tile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy