Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Aero Thunderbay

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 8107 View attachment 8108

The saga continues LOL. I am so conflicted whether to order a 42 or 40 in the Thunderbay . The pics I attached are of my Highwayman in size 40. It fits me well except the sleeves are a tad long. If I order the Thunderbay in 40 will the shearling liner make it too snug? It is a winter jacket, I will not be riding and I am not much of a layer guy. I want to wear this with a button down shirt and t-shirt underneath. I do not want to to be too fitted but comfortable like my current highwayman. mama mia.

Thank you everyone so much for all the input. This forum has been invaluable for so many things. I apologize if I am over analyzing all this.

Man, i don't know how you deal with sleeves that long, it would drive me insane!

What i would do if i were you is ask the seller for the measurements of the Thunderbay size 40. If they match your highwayman, try wearing your highwayman with a couple thick jumpers to simulate the thickness of the shearling and see how that feels. If it is snug go for a 42, if it feels ok go for a 40.

Although, to make things simple it really looks like a 42 would work on you.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Insurrection should advise you. But judging by your pictures a 42 seems right. A 40 with the lining will be too tight for sure. I don't know how you ended up with 44 TB at all if you wear a 40 in a HWM.

hipcheck

New in Town
Insurrection should advise you. But judging by your pictures a 42 seems right. A 40 with the lining will be too tight for sure. I don't know how you ended up with 44 TB at all if you wear a 40 in a HWM.

My dilemma is Insurrection thinks a 42 may be a good fit and Aero thinks a 40. I guess it is my preference of how I want it to fit.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
how do you want it to fit? if you have preference for a looser fitting jacket that allows you to wear something heavier underneath opt for the 42, on the other hand if you would like it to fit trim with just a dress shirt etc...go 40..
I still think you need to add some length to the body, and take some away from the sleeves.
As was said above somewhere, measure the jacket you have that fits how you like, and ask for these measurements..the tagged size matters little.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Glad to see Carrie has sorted this for you, but I'd like to add the Thunderbay and the Highwayman should usually be ordered in the same size... and we've never changed the size patterns, they are the same now as they have always been!

If anyone is unsure about which size they should be ordering, as always just drop us a line with your measurements and we can advise.

Okay... so I'm back to begin confused buy the size issue. Insurrection say I should get a 38 - Aero seems to suggest a 42. Anyway I've moved on from this jacket and am not in the market for the time being. Back to the Thunderbay.

The saga continues LOL. I am so conflicted whether to order a 42 or 40 in the Thunderbay . The pics I attached are of my Highwayman in size 40. It fits me well except the sleeves are a tad long. If I order the Thunderbay in 40 will the shearling liner make it too snug? It is a winter jacket, I will not be riding and I am not much of a layer guy. I want to wear this with a button down shirt and t-shirt underneath. I do not want to to be too fitted but comfortable like my current highwayman. mama mia.

Thank you everyone so much for all the input. This forum has been invaluable for so many things. I apologize if I am over analyzing all this.

I had an Aero 'Longshoreman'(shearling lined)in my regular size 40. It was labeled a size 40...but was actually made with a 42 sized shell to allow for the thickness of the sheep's wool. I was told by Aero that was how all of them were made..and therefore not necessary to size up. Otherwize..Aero takes care of that.
HD

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I had an Aero 'Longshoreman'(shearling lined)in my regular size 40. It was labeled a size 40...but was actually made with a 42 sized shell to allow for the thickness of the sheep's wool. I was told by Aero that was how all of them were made..and therefore not necessary to size up. Otherwize..Aero takes care of that.
HD

But the Thunder bay is the one shearling lined jacket which is not made with a size up shell, see up the thread. It was designed from scratch, unlike the others which were existing designs with the shearling added.

hipcheck, as I think Boyo wrote the best thing is to work from an existing jacket. Particularly as there is some disagreement between the seller and maker.

If you measure your HWM and allow an inch extra pit to pit for the lining you will be somewhere near what a TB in a 40 will measure, but ask Insurrection what it is. The jacket you want will need to be two inches over your chest measurement over a T shirt for a tight fit. That's one inch pit to pit, and four inches over for a comfortable fit. Two inches pit to pit. More for layering which is unlikely in your case with this.

simonc

Practically Family
I have a shearling herc with the same thickness lining. I brought it as a 44, my size, with alpaca lining, it was a normal fit, last year aero fitted the 3/4 shearling lining and now yes its a little tight, I can just do it up, but that's fine with me, I like the feels, plus I know in a year's time the fleece will bed down and it will be business as usual. I suggest you get your size, deal with the fit and in a year you will be as happy as a clam. Might be a good idea to run a tape around your chest, neck and waist, Aero will then cut it in to fit.

Windward

Practically Family
But the Thunder bay is the one shearling lined jacket which is not made with a size up shell, see up the thread. It was designed from scratch, unlike the others which were existing designs with the shearling added.

hipcheck, as I think Boyo wrote the best thing is to work from an existing jacket. Particularly as there is some disagreement between the seller and maker.

If you measure your HWM and allow an inch extra pit to pit for the lining you will be somewhere near what a TB in a 40 will measure, but ask Insurrection what it is. The jacket you want will need to be two inches over your chest measurement over a T shirt for a tight fit. That's one inch pit to pit, and four inches over for a comfortable fit. Two inches pit to pit. More for layering which is unlikely in your case with this.

I have a Windward wirh 3/4 shearling lining and gave the measurements of one of my other Windwards to AERO.
Wanted Body, shoulder and sleeves lenght the same as I like - only pit to pit ONE inch more.
I am wearing Size 46 - my armpit to armpit measures 27" - and in my shearling Windward 28 inches.
And yes, after a while the wool has become more flatter and the jacket is now very comfortable - like Simonc said "business as usual".

This is how it looks with shearling - very similiar to my other Windwards ...

The TB is a great jacket design - good choice hipcheck

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Sounds right. Like I said about an inch extra pit to pit to allow for the shearling. I've had a couple of the standard Aero jackets with shearling, and the shell size up adds about an inch pit to pit in my size. It depends how you want it to fit of course. I prefer a more roomy fit so I go for almost six inches all round over my chest size over a T shirt with a normal lining, but less with shearling.

hipcheck

New in Town
So, how did this work out for you? Did you ever receive your new jacket?

Yes I did although it was after the winter so I will be breaking it out once the weather gets cold. They fixed the issues and the jacket fits good. I should probably post some pics. Thurston Bros. rectified the issue and I appreciate it.

I know I will be prepared for winter with that beast.

Bucket

Familiar Face
Did you order a new jacket? If so, what size did you go with? I am considering ordering one for this coming winter.

yes, post photos! ; )

slicker63

Familiar Face
Hipcheck... any chance of some photos... be great to see the new fit...

would be greatly appreciated as i'm ordering up in the next few days...

Btw... what is your chest size...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 2 cents.
If you are buying through Thurston and they have advised you, go with what they say. They guarantee the fit if you use their fit jacket service. If it turns out they were wrong, they will correct it. I'm assuming though, if you insist on your own sizing opinion they would not have to correct a fit issue. It "may" take longer...worse case they need to return it again but then again, this jacket will last a lifetime, whats another few weeks?

"whats another few weeks?"

That's much easier after you already have an amazing leather jacket in the closet. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred