Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new fedora... from Penman Hats!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Here in Spain, on the 6th January, we celebrate "Three Wise Men Day", similar to Christmas Day as far as presents are concerned. Well, just on time for this celebration I received my Penman Raiders Indiana Jones style fedora!

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_02282.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

I asked for a generic Raiders fedora, I did not specify any particular scene; with the "turn" (this feature is appreciable at the above "bird's eye view" photo); 5 1/2'' tall, 2 1/2'' wide brim at the sides, and 2 3/4'' wide brim front and back.

I have read Penman hats are ABs in all but name. I do not know because I do not have an AB to compare, but this hat is certainly a fine specimen!

The felt (100 % beaver) is very soft to the touch; at the crown it is a little more consistent (I do not want to use the word "stiff"), the brim being more pliable. Finish details, like liner, sweatband, etc, are great! I also liked the enclosed sheets, covering hat care and hat etiquette (this was a nice touch!).

On my head...

Penman.jpg

Dealing with John was a very good experience, too. Fast and efficient response always.

John Penman is a new name in the industry, but I think he is here to stay. Although better known by his Indy style hats, about which he's most knowledgeable, he can do other types of fedora, too (check his website here: http://www.penmanhats.com )
Highly recommended! :)

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hello Torpedo

Good looking hat and it looks great on you noggin! I'd be smilin' too if it were mine. :) How long did it take to recieve your hat from the time you ordered it?
Preacher Man
Philippians 4:13

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Randooch: No, I did not crease it; John did that, on my instructions, "turn" and all.

Preacher: It took about two months, but it depends on the size of your noggin'; me being a small head, got mine earlier. It would seem three months is more like it.

OldSkoolFrat, what model is yours? By the photo, it would seem you got it "turned", isn't it? I do really like the grey, too. What photo is truer to actual colour? The portrait one seems to show a bluish cast that is absent in the avatar, which looks warmer.

Regards!

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Torpedo said:
Hi,

Randooch: No, I did not crease it; John did that, on my instructions, "turn" and all.

Preacher: It took about two months, but it depends on the size of your noggin'; me being a small head, got mine earlier. It would seem three months is more like it.

OldSkoolFrat, what model is yours? By the photo, it would seem you got it "turned", isn't it? I do really like the grey, too. What photo is truer to actual colour? The portrait one seems to show a bluish cast that is absent in the avatar, which looks warmer.

Regards!

Crystal Skull Train Hat. It isn't turned per se, I just wear my hats crooked:rolleyes: Like they seemed to do in old movies.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Those sure are sharp looking lids. I'm interested to see some other styles from John as well. Some bound brim work and different crown shapes. He certainly has the gift.

Torpedo

One Too Many
OldSkoolFrat said:
Crystal Skull Train Hat. It isn't turned per se, I just wear my hats crooked:rolleyes: Like they seemed to do in old movies.

I understand your meaning... I have to admit I seem unable to place a hat centered on my head unless I recur to a mirror... :eek:

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Great hat Torpedo. I got my Penman just a few days ago, so I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. They are nice hats.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Torpedo said:
What photo is truer to actual colour? The portrait one seems to show a bluish cast that is absent in the avatar, which looks warmer.

Regards!

The posted pic is truer, it was taken outside. Actually on top of the parking deck of my office building!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
John is really producing some beautiful hats. These are all great!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I was just looking at his prices and thought that maybe I would send my Whippet to him for a good cleaning and reblock. I was thinking of putting it on the bay cuz I rarely wear it. If I can get it spruced up, I might wear it more often...[huh] :D

bendingoak

Vendor
Just wanted to jump in here to comment on the granite grey color. Depending on the lighting this color can look warm with a tint of brown to it or it can look cool with a tint of blue.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
bendingoak said:
Just wanted to jump in here to comment on the granite grey color. Depending on the lighting this color can look warm with a tint of brown to it or it can look cool with a tint of blue.

You beat me to it, John! I was just looking at my hat in the dimmer switched light of my dinning room and it indeed looks "warmer"

It is very light dependent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran