Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Johnson Leather Opus (just a teaser though)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Hi Everyone,

It's fun following guys' acquisitions and sometimes even sharing your own. Here's a pic of a jacket that was delivered last Friday. There was a minor mix-up on a detail so I sent it back for an alteration. I'll really share the details when it comes back, but I couldn't wait to post a quick picture I took on the computer so that Alan could see he nailed the fit. I think when the cutter was done, Alan said it was a size 39. Details to follow. Meanwhile basically I wanted a Lost Worlds Rigger with a mouton collar. It was based on the JL M-120 but simple hand-warmer pockets and no epaulets. I think it's a lot like the Aero Happy Days too. It's the shaved down CXL cow with rust knits and brown thread, brown mouton collar, and a semi-exposed antique brass zipper. Watch this space! I'm wild about rust knits.

xLtCdTP.jpg

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
One of those "if only I had thought of that" moments. Brilliant jacket and fit. Is that the overdye cxl?

Yes, the black spray over brown. But I perceive it as very very very dark brown. When you put it next to black, you can really see the difference. The first sample I was sent was 4.5oz and it was like cardboard until you worked it back and forth. Then he said they could shave it down (for more moolah) so that's what I wound up with. Everything was my idea, but Alan did nudge me in the right direction when he thought that was needed. So I guess, it truth, it was a collaboration. But from the word go I wanted minimalistic so as to highlight the materials. It's soo enticing to over-desigh when it's a custom job (zips on pockets, for example)

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Aero "Happy Days" jacket has been high on my list for some time. I think that both the slightly dumb name and the horrible photos on the Aero site have done it a disservice. There was one in black on the Sales page some time ago that looked fantastic. Anyway, cheers to you and I hope you enjoy it. JL continues to impress me with the quality of their work.

IXL

One Too Many
...you don't look even the least bit pleased in that photo... :D

I had wondered when that jacket would be arriving. An excellent looking creation!!

Edward

Bartender
The Aero "Happy Days" jacket has been high on my list for some time. I think that both the slightly dumb name and the horrible photos on the Aero site have done it a disservice. There was one in black on the Sales page some time ago that looked fantastic. Anyway, cheers to you and I hope you enjoy it. JL continues to impress me with the quality of their work.

Looks like they're slowly improving the photos, which is a good thing. Still... it's a million miles better than the site they had when I ordered my first Aero in 2010.

The Happy Days with a mouton collar would be very similar to this - ditto the Aeriel Star jacket that is essentially an A2 with slash handwarmers instead of patch pockets. The other one it's very much like - moreso than any of the others - is the Eastman Air Comfort. Basically a leather version of the original B15, with a quilted nylon lining instead of wool; exactly the sort of thing that was available on the civilian market in the Fifties.

AirComfortmont.jpg

Gorgeous jacket, though Eastman have pushed the price up a bit much for me, given it's not hard to find similar alternatives. These days, I could see myself going for something more like this ahead of an A2.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Looks like they're slowly improving the photos, which is a good thing. Still... it's a million miles better than the site they had when I ordered my first Aero in 2010.

The Happy Days with a mouton collar would be very similar to this - ditto the Aeriel Star jacket that is essentially an A2 with slash handwarmers instead of patch pockets. The other one it's very much like - moreso than any of the others - is the Eastman Air Comfort. Basically a leather version of the original B15, with a quilted nylon lining instead of wool; exactly the sort of thing that was available on the civilian market in the Fifties.

Gorgeous jacket, though Eastman have pushed the price up a bit much for me, given it's not hard to find similar alternatives. These days, I could see myself going for something more like this ahead of an A2.

Thanks. You really nailed where I was coming from. I went to grammar school in the 1950's and, if anything, I was going for a jacket like I had then (but in better materials). One thing I deleted from the Eastman (or other fur/mouton collar military jackets) is the the strap and button to close it in the up position. I didn't know it for a fact, but I was worried that there would be issues surrounding how the collar laid down. Ultimately I didn't feel I needed it because any time it's cold enough (when riding) to put the collar up, I figure I'll be wearing a muffler or scarf anyway so that I can just tie it around the neck if I want to have the collar up for warmth. Plus the JL was a lot less moolah than Eastman (even with an expensive mouton lining) and (to me anyway) the ordering process is a gas.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thanks. You really nailed where I was coming from. I went to grammar school in the 1950's and, if anything, I was going for a jacket like I had then (but in better materials). One thing I deleted from the Eastman (or other fur/mouton collar military jackets) is the the strap and button to close it in the up position. I didn't know it for a fact, but I was worried that there would be issues surrounding how the collar laid down.

I've never owned one of these in leather, but I've got a B15 with the same arrangement and it's never been a problem. I also have an all-leather throat latch on two Aeros - an AN6552, as per standard milspec, and a Bootlegger (an addition that has no real purpose other than that I liked it as a detail and, at the tim,e it cost me nothing), again, no problem. That said, I do think there's a lot to be said for keeping a jacket simple, and if you don't need it.... The only time I've ever really used it on the B15 is if I get caught in a heavy shower - keeping the collar up keeps the worst of the rain off the mouton. Wet mouton on the neck can be a touch on the icky side...

Ultimately I didn't feel I needed it because any time it's cold enough (when riding) to put the collar up, I figure I'll be wearing a muffler or scarf anyway so that I can just tie it around the neck if I want to have the collar up for warmth. Plus the JL was a lot less moolah (even with an expensive mouton lining) and (to me anyway) the ordering process is a gas.

I hear you on the money front.... had I but the cash to buy all the jackets I really want, I'd also have a house big enough for storage not to be a worry.... ;-) I've never dealt directly with Johnson, but if the D-pocket mc jacket from than I have (bought used from a fellow Lounger) is anything to go by, they're well worth looking into. Moreso if you're in the States and so won't get hit with import duties!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I've never dealt directly with Johnson, but if the D-pocket mc jacket from than I have (bought used from a fellow Lounger) is anything to go by, they're well worth looking into. Moreso if you're in the States and so won't get hit with import duties!

I don't want to go off the deep end or sound like a shill; but honestly the personal service is one of the best parts of the deal. The weird thing, and this has been mentioned before, is that the JL website stinks and, before I learned otherwise on this forum, I myself rejected it as a fly-by-night operation. But if it was better and they were any busier, you wouldn't get the same kind of T.L.C.. I'd advise anyone (in the States but not in S.F. already) to pick up the phone and just tell Alan what you want. For some strange reason, he gets a kick out of custom orders.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Nice jacket! Your smile says it all, V. Nice newsie, too.

I didn't get it at first. I thought you were commenting on my chatty talky-talk. Then I realized you meant the cap. Here's the link. My advice would be to order one size larger and, if you email ahead, he'll bill you $1 more via paypal and you get a leather headband, not material.

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

Edward

Bartender
B wear! They were big news round here at a time. I bought one from another lounger... nice hat. Was just wondering the other day if they were still around.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Jacket looks great. I have heard nothing but commendations regarding JL products and customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy