Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Peacoat

RobT

New in Town
I just wanted to echo everything that "Peacoat" has said in the past about the quality of the older pea coats compared to the more recent models. I have had a 2001 coat for some time now and as this was until recently the only pea coat I owned, I was pleased with the quality, fit and warmth. However, last week I bought a WW2 coat (Naval clothing factory tag, five rows of buttons, chinstrap, brown cord pockets) on Ebay and have been bowled over by how good this coat really is in comparison to my newer coat. The WW2 coat had been put away after the war and looked dirty in the picture but it had no moth holes. I had the coat dry cleaned it came out great with no marks whatsoever. What is more, I was the only bidder and got a bargain for $50.

Getting back to what "Peacoat" has said, in comparison to my other coat, the WW2 coat is made of a superior material (Kersey wool which is denser than the Melton used later). It fits better, particularly around the waist) and I reckon should be warmer in the winter. I think the overall look of the coat is more stylish and I particularly like the lapels and extra row of buttons.

Finally, a big thanks to "Peacoat" and the other contributors for pointing me in the right direction!

RobT

New in Town
My New Pea Coat

I have a problem with my camera at the moment but will try & post some pictures.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Yeah, Peacoat helped me a bunch in the past in finding a good peacoat. Now I have 4 and my wife can't understand why I need so many. I tried to explain the differences in the coats from different eras but the nuances were lost on her [huh]

Peacoat

Bartender
jacketquest said:
Yeah, Peacoat helped me a bunch in the past in finding a good peacoat. Now I have 4 and my wife can't understand why I need so many. I tried to explain the differences in the coats from different eras but the nuances were lost on her [huh]

Explain to her about WWII, post WWII, Korean era, Vietnam era and post Vietnam era and the importance of having a coat from each of those periods. She will understand that. After that sinks in, then explain the importance of having a spare from each of those periods. That may be a little more difficult to conceptualize, but if you use the spare tire in the trunk analogy, she will jump right on it. Good luck.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I bought 6 pea coats this past winter. My wife hasn't said anything about it yet. I didn't get too detailed about them, but I did mention a few times that the WWII one I bought for only $22.00 in excellent shape was quite the bargain. To top it off I think it's a size 44 which I believe is very scarce for a WWII pea coat.

CC-1

Familiar Face
pea coat eras

Anybody know when they gave up on the decorative stitching on the back of the turned up collar? Is it just on the 8 button models or did it make it to some of the 6 buttons too? Vietnam on have collars that are just a sewn-on flap.

Peacoat

Bartender
When I get a chance tomorrow I will check some of my early post war and early 50s coats to what they look like. If I forget, as I currently have no spare time, send me a pm to remind me.

RobT

New in Town

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Fixed!

DSC06108-vi.jpg

DSC06096-vi.jpg

DSC06095-vi.jpg

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I bought my second WWll coat a few weeks ago. I can't believe the material on this coat - different then all my other peacoats. I have to sell due to small measurements given on ebay. It's a 42 or a 44. Yes, the old blue ones far outshine those black coats.!!!

JDC

New in Town
As much as I like the vintage ones, I still wear the one I was issued and can't part with it. I took the rank off the sleeve and it still shadows a bit. Anyone know what to do for that?

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
JDC said:
As much as I like the vintage ones, I still wear the one I was issued and can't part with it. I took the rank off the sleeve and it still shadows a bit. Anyone know what to do for that?

I'd had let them on! (correct english? :eek: )
I own a peacoat with Italian navy ranks on it, and wear it very often (well, in the winter!), which strictly speaking would be forbidden in Italy, and nobody ever told me anything, not even Police forces during routine traffic controls, so...
well, I'm not an impersonator of sort, it's only that it looks better!

Ciao!

Todd V

Familiar Face
I, too, just purchased a post WWII peacoat based on opinions here in the lounge and I am very pleased with it. I'm thinking of buying another of the same vintage one size larger so I may wear a thicker sweater when needed. Is two coats too many?

Peacoat

Bartender
Todd V said:
I, too, just purchased a post WWII peacoat based on opinions here in the lounge and I am very pleased with it. I'm thinking of buying another of the same vintage one size larger so I may wear a thicker sweater when needed. Is two coats too many?

One peacoat is not enough. Two peacoats are too many, and three aren't enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24