Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My own tartan

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So, about a year ago, I designed and registered my own tartan and had a kilt produced in it. This was a fun project for me, and I thought I'd share the story of it.

Here's what it looks like:

Fibonacci7_tartan.jpg

And here's me wearing it:

3089830_1461520845.9258_updates[1].jpg

Back in the 1990s, I attended a college that has a bagpipe corps for its marching band, and wore full kilt and regalia outfits for their uniform. This planted a long-dormant seed in the back of my mind that someday I might want to have a kilt of my own, even though I wasn't in the marching band and don't have any Scottish ancestry that I know of.

A few years ago, I saw a youtube video by Numberphile, on a tartan they had created based on the Fibonacci sequence. Inspired by it, I did my own take on the fibonacci sequence, resulting in the design above. Based on the first 7 numbers in the Fibonacci sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, I really liked how it looked.

I raised funds to produce a sample of the fabric and have a kilt made, and registered it with the Scottish Register of Tartan.

It is my personal tartan. But I registered it without restrictions, intending that the design be a gift to the world as a reward to the contributors who assisted me in raising the funds that went into producing my kilt. Given its mathematical inspiration, it's an ideal design for mathematicians, scientists, and computer programmers, etc. But given how beautiful it is, it's a great design for anyone.

Since we often talk about tartan-lined jackets from Aero, et. al., I thought there might be some interest in it here, maybe some of you might even going so far as to produce it. There's NO permission needed to have it produced, by anyone, for anyone. Custom weaving is a very pricey proposition, of course, but if a clothing maker decided that they wanted to produce the tartan in quantity, it could become popular and come down quite a bit in cost. It'd be a thrill to see that happen some day.

Thanks for reading:)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and this should go without saying, but if anyone does use my tartan in a garment, I'd love to hear about it!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Guppy - really like this! Great taste in the Tartan, and what a unique design. Especially considering it was from a mathmatical form. Thanks for sharing, I would think this is something a company such as Aero or Simmons-Bilt, or an affillilate such as Thurston Bros would want to pick up on. Really appreciate the history & creativity expressed with this.

Also the glasses, beard & shirt work perfectly with this tartan kilt!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Guppy - really like this! Great taste in the Tartan, and what a unique design. Especially considering it was from a mathmatical form. Thanks for sharing, I would think this is something a company such as Aero or Simmons-Bilt, or an affillilate such as Thurston Bros would want to pick up on. Really appreciate the history & creativity expressed with this.

Also the glasses, beard & shirt work perfectly with this tartan kilt!
That's all very kind of you to say. Thank you!

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Are kilts growing in popularity nowadays? I went to my friend's wedding a while back and someone wore one instead of a suit (this was in the US).

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Are kilts growing in popularity nowadays? I went to my friend's wedding a while back and someone wore one instead of a suit (this was in the US).

I'd say they do seem to be growing in popularity, though still a niche interest. I don't think I ever saw men wearing kilts in Ohio except true-blooded Scotsmen on formal occasions, but within the last 10 years or so they seem to have been catching on for more casual wear. It's probably still <1% of the people I see, probably even <0.1%, but it's not unheard of these days for sure.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting story Guppy. I'm told that during WWII Scotsmen marched into battle wearing kilts led by bagpipes, and German soldiers called the Scots "ladies from hell" as the Scots were such fierce warriors. Must be at least in part from Viking genes. :D

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Interesting story Guppy. I'm told that during WWII Scotsmen marched into battle wearing kilts led by bagpipes, and German soldiers called the Scots "ladies from hell" as the Scots were such fierce warriors. Must be at least in part from Viking genes. :D
The WWI version I heard were called 'Devils in Skirts', nearly the same I guess :)

earl

A-List Customer
So, Guppy, you're a clan of 1. I'm of Ulster-Scot extraction and have often been tempted to get a kilt, though my surname has no tartan associated with it. Would have to be the tartan of the clan my name is a sept of. However, as the only time I would wear it is once a year when I attend a nearby Scottish festival, doesn't seem like it would get enough wear to justify the purchase. Do wear that clan's tartan tie to the event every year while I get my Scot on. It's next week and plan to indulge in haggis again.:p

RJR

So, about a year ago, I designed and registered my own tartan and had a kilt produced in it. This was a fun project for me, and I thought I'd share the story of it.

Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 56707

And here's me wearing it:

View attachment 56708

Back in the 1990s, I attended a college that has a bagpipe corps for its marching band, and wore full kilt and regalia outfits for their uniform. This planted a long-dormant seed in the back of my mind that someday I might want to have a kilt of my own, even though I wasn't in the marching band and don't have any Scottish ancestry that I know of.

A few years ago, I saw a youtube video by Numberphile, on a tartan they had created based on the Fibonacci sequence. Inspired by it, I did my own take on the fibonacci sequence, resulting in the design above. Based on the first 7 numbers in the Fibonacci sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, I really liked how it looked.

I raised funds to produce a sample of the fabric and have a kilt made, and registered it with the Scottish Register of Tartan.

It is my personal tartan. But I registered it without restrictions, intending that the design be a gift to the world as a reward to the contributors who assisted me in raising the funds that went into producing my kilt. Given its mathematical inspiration, it's an ideal design for mathematicians, scientists, and computer programmers, etc. But given how beautiful it is, it's a great design for anyone.

Since we often talk about tartan-lined jackets from Aero, et. al., I thought there might be some interest in it here, maybe some of you might even going so far as to produce it. There's NO permission needed to have it produced, by anyone, for anyone. Custom weaving is a very pricey proposition, of course, but if a clothing maker decided that they wanted to produce the tartan in quantity, it could become popular and come down quite a bit in cost. It'd be a thrill to see that happen some day.

Thanks for reading:)
Great story!

robrinay

One Too Many
Love that tartan!
Ps I'm a Yorkeshireman and I like eating haggis - I'm from a family of butchers - I guess I've eaten most bits of the usual animals.

earl

A-List Customer
I was a bit leery before I tried it but found it rather tasty. But then I'm a South Dakota farm boy who was raised on fried liver and onions. However, as to the Norwegian side of my family, you won't be able to get me in the same room as lutefisk.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn