Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Sefton FQHH A-2 - And Hi...

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Hi,

I'm new here, but have been a lurker for a long time and found the site brilliantly helpful over the last couple of years. Just sorting out my spring/summer clothes, and thought some of you might be interested in my A-2...

Its an old hard to find Sefton in FQ Horsehide, just starting to properly break in and soften up a bit. The grain is really popping out now its been wet a couple of times. Extremely thick and tough hide, and a creaky bugger (no matter how much I batter it, it still creaks really loudly in my ears, where the collar rubs the epaulettes).

It fits nicely in the shoulders and sleeve and body lengths, but I've lost weight - do you guys think it looks too big on me now? Only wearing a T under it in the pic.

I know its not as accurate as a Goodwear, but the quality of this jacket is unbelievable, the pics doing it no justice at all. Its a shade darker than in the pics, and the flash has made it 30% shinier than in reality.

I really don't want to part with it, but I don't want it to look like an 80s Avirex on me - if its too big on me now (I've dropped from a 40 to 38 but also lost muscle from my upper arms), please do say. Will have to pick up a Goodwear Bronco 38 instead...

Anyway, hope you like the jacket pics.

a21.jpg

a22.jpg

a23.jpg

a24.jpg

a25.jpg

Very nice. Sefton used some awesome hide..but the all ones I've handled were steerhide. Are you sure this one is actually HH or specifically FQHH..??
BTW..I think the fit still looks pretty good.
HD

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good looking jacket. I haven't seen a post on a Sefton in quite awhile. I agree with HD that the fit looks good. Thanks for sharing.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Thanks. So not too baggy?

Yeah, although the jacket wasn't made for me, I know the guy who ordered it (in the 1990s I think?). He asked specifically for FQHH, and there is no mistaking this in the flesh - it feels like its armoured :)
Until I got it was still smooth (no grain) and like new despite a fair bit of wear over the years. But a steamer and some time spent flexing it, got it to behave a little more and shape up.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Doesn't look too baggy to me.

OK, thanks, appreciate you saying so.

Its prob a combination of having lost weight, and wearing slim fit jumpers etc over the winter, but it just feels like it swamps me a bit now, particularly in the upper arm/back of shoulder. Maybe I'm being too critical :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks to be a great fit to my eyes. I wouldn't be fussed at all, good length, bit of room to move, perfect.

He makes some bloody nice RAF flying helmets as well ;)

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Looks to be a great fit to my eyes. I wouldn't be fussed at all, good length, bit of room to move, perfect.

He makes some bloody nice RAF flying helmets as well ;)

Thanks. Was just worried it was starting to look like an 80s jacket on me, but I guess its such a nice shape that even when a bit too big, it sits/drapes/blouses nicely.

Yeah, the guy has skills! Have seen some of his RAF leather work. The best there is outside of original.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It fits fine. As one of our members who was a military pilot has said (in another thread), there's no way a pilot could operate his aircraft's controls properly if his jacket was too small or too tight.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
It fits fine. As one of our members who was a military pilot has said (in another thread), there's no way a pilot could operate his aircraft's controls properly if his jacket was too small or too tight.

Indeed. At least I won't crash my B17 because I lost control :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've never heard of "Sefton" and I've no dog in this hunt. In my opinon the jacket looks gret on you. I've tight A2's and loose A2's. I'm beginning to think I like loose A2's a lot better, within reason of course. And don't knock those '80's Avirexs completely LOL! They were/are good starter jackets...

Worf

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
I've never heard of "Sefton" and I've no dog in this hunt. In my opinon the jacket looks gret on you. I've tight A2's and loose A2's. I'm beginning to think I like loose A2's a lot better, within reason of course. And don't knock those '80's Avirexs completely LOL! They were/are good starter jackets...

Worf

Yeah nothing wrong with an Avirex as such, just not the look I want.

The Sefton jacket is made by a one man band in the UK, very high quality, but not modelled on one specific wartime contract like an Eastman or Goodwear.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fit looks fine to me, those sleeves are perfect, though it'd be nice to see some side-on and back pics - that may be the key to your sense of being swamped.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Fit looks fine to me, those sleeves are perfect, though it'd be nice to see some side-on and back pics - that may be the key to your sense of being swamped.

Yes, will do. Just need someone else in the house to take those angles. Will list those later.

Stand By

One Too Many
Your jacket looks the part to me, MightyEighth - great cut and colour - and the fit is bang-on, I'd say. But then, I do prefer a slightly blousey fit over the oft cited trim fit. So to me, it looks great on you. What's not to like ?!? Keep it !
And if you're still feeling restless with it - maybe some insignia and a name tag ? Otherwise, leave it as-is and just keep working those creaks out ! Thanks for posting.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Your jacket looks the part to me, MightyEighth - great cut and colour - and the fit is bang-on, I'd say. But then, I do prefer a slightly blousey fit over the oft cited trim fit. So to me, it looks great on you. What's not to like ?!? Keep it !
And if you're still feeling restless with it - maybe some insignia and a name tag ? Otherwise, leave it as-is and just keep working those creaks out ! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the positive comments :)

The creaks are already reducing (had it on all day), so it may have just settled and hardened a bit having not been worn since last September.

Will get some other angle shots later, so please do let me know what you think when you see it from side/back.

Many thanks

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
This jacket was made by Steve Silburn of East Bergholt, a very well respected member of the militaria collectors/dealers. he made his jackets studying originals when almost no one but Aero were making them in the 1980s. Dont know if he still makes them but Steve mainly likes to work/repair original Irvins I believe and A2s were an early sideline. I shall be contacting him soon as I need an original A2 re-cuffing and a lining repair which means I can drop them off personally if possible.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
This jacket was made by Steve Silburn of East Bergholt, a very well respected member of the militaria collectors/dealers. he made his jackets studying originals when almost no one but Aero were making them in the 1980s. Dont know if he still makes them but Steve mainly likes to work/repair original Irvins I believe and A2s were an early sideline. I shall be contacting him soon as I need an original A2 re-cuffing and a lining repair which means I can drop them off personally if possible.

Yes, and Steve's RAF leather flying helmets are the best repros/rebuilds available.

In the early Sefton A2s there was a seam down the knit cuffs for some reason. Ever notice..??
HD

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
In the early Sefton A2s there was a seam down the knit cuffs for some reason. Ever notice..??
HD
Yes I noticed that and the cheaper looking Talon zip. Though he did make a basic but well made jacket, not much else was available in the UK. My Battersea Aero also had seamed cuffs, but oh how I enjoyed that jacket:D
I remember discussing this on the old Classic 20th Yahoo group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff