Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My shaving experience with Merkur, not good

Blueberry

New in Town
I used a Mach 3 turbo with a brush and good cream. I shaved north to south, lathered again, and went across the grain, then lathered again and went south to north. I never cut myself (hardly) and I always got a great shave.

I went and got a Merkur shaver with the screw knob on the bottom. This is what I noticed about it

1. The cutting of the beard was louder.
2. It did not hold water in the shaver as well as the Mach 3 Turbo. I of course dip it in water after every short stroke. So with less water, it was a little more painful in cutting.
3. When or if you cut yourself with the Mekur, the cut was alwys bigger with it than it ever was with the Turbo.

I know I need to practice with it more, but I am also a little scared going across the grain with this unit. I was told going down to let the blade out a little more. Then across the grain bring it in a little to protect your face.

I also learned there is a sharp and dull side on the razor which makes it pretty flexible. Plus the adjustability of the blade also makes it very nice and custom izable. Plus the Merkur blades are sharp and are a lot cheaper than the Turbo.

However, I get the best shave with the Turbo 3, I can shave quicker since the way the blades and fins are situated, you are less likely to cut yourelf.

I will continue to try the Merkur, but I do not see myself staying with it at this point.

It is weird to just put the Merkur straight. I was told by Charles Roberts to tightend the knob all the way down. Then turn it twice with your fingers and shave down. Then, turn it once back (towards all the way down) and go against the grain towards the center of your face. I will try again tomorrow, but I am aprehensive about this.

In regards to the Merkur you can shave on either side as the balde stick out both sides. However one side is a little more aggressive than the other. Charles again told me about this, and he was right. I am giving this shaver one week, and if I have problems, I will go back to the Mach 3 turbo. ( I really hope I can get the Merkur down, not only do I like the weight and the feel, but the blades are so much cheaper.

I cut my neck and by my neck chin area... again with the Merkur. I feel like I am using a blade more with the Merkur over the Turbo.

With the Mach 3 Turbo, I shave 3 x. North-South, sideways torwards the center of my face, and then South-North. Every day I got a clean baby face with no cuts...EVER. That is if I replace my Turbo blades every 3 days.I can shave quickly, not worry about getting cuts, and the handle is very comfortable.

There seems to be more of an art and skill needed in using the Merkur. I am now thinking about just paying the extra bucks, and just use the Turbo. Why not when I got a perfect shave with it every day?

Canadave

One Too Many
I've been meaning to post my experience too. I have similar apprehensions.

I got the basic Merkur double edge...non adjustable. I found it MUCH less effective than any modern shaver. I don't have a thick beard, and am able to get away with one pass most days. With the Merkur, one pass has very little effect.

I too like the weight and style of the shaver...I'm just very disappointed with the outcome. There is no way I'm going to shave in three directions (lathering between each shave) and then finish with a Mach 3. The whole point for me was to do something "the old fashioned way", but the new technology just offers way more ease, comfort. and efficacy!

I have learned from Palladin's posts, however. My wetting and lathering techniques have definitely improved, and result in a closer and more comfortable shave.

David

Blueberry

New in Town
The adjustable is much better, as you can control how close you want the blade on your skin. I just spent $11.29 for 4 turbo blades. What a rip off! This is motivating me to continue to learn the Merkur, and hopefully I will have a better time with it in a week or two. I can get 10 blades under $5.00. That is a big savings that adds up pretty quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass