Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My VINTAGE ZOOT SUIT – c. 1940

I knew these reminded me of something. I have a very similar pair of trousers in my collection, though they became less extremely pegged when I took up the legs. Still pegged, but not so much as originally.

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"We take great pride in making bewildering and outlandish garments that we think are ugly for people who can afford it." Think that would have worked on a billboard?

As the New Yorker magazine put it back then, "... the tradesmen who cater to sharpies pride themselves on filling every order and being surprised at nothing."

One advertisement (for "Solomon's Clothing Store" in Baltimore) said, "We know what you want, and we will make your suit to suit you."

Last edited:

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
I always thought of getting one of these "Zoots Suits"

If I found one ..I too would pick it up.. Another
part of Fashion History..though short lived

Hey wildblue.....COOL

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
At a vintage clothing store you're probably familiar with: RAGG MOPP, on E. Sunset Blvd next to Silverlake Junction. It was being sold as a run-of-the-mill vintage suit, and priced as such.

Oh, my word, I was there just two weeks ago trying to sell the owner some orphaned suit jackets...By chance, was the suit in the rear of the store, on the left, on a mannequin? I tend to think not, though, as I recall that suit having labels...At any rate, great find, and another example of the fact that you never know what you might stumble upon if you keep your eyes open.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
If you'll pardon my curiosity, what prompted you to put the suit up for auction Marc? Seems like such a rare example of sartorial ephemera would make a great conversation piece.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
If you'll pardon my curiosity, what prompted you to put the suit up for auction Marc? Seems like such a rare example of sartorial ephemera would make a great conversation piece.

Not to be a pedant or anything, but a suit could hardly be called ephemera. Ephemera are items that are intended to be discarded or disposed of - usually written or printed.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of zoot suits myself, but as it's such a rare survival I'm sure it'll do well on ebay. I know a lovely lady, not even slightly racist, who collects gollywogs quite passionately; which just goes to show...

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Honestly, I'm not a fan of zoot suits myself, but as it's such a rare survival I'm sure it'll do well on ebay. I know a lovely lady, not even slightly racist, who collects gollywogs quite passionately; which just goes to show...

Carole...? lol

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Not to be a pedant or anything, but a suit could hardly be called ephemera. Ephemera are items that are intended to be discarded or disposed of - usually written or printed.

No need to excuse it! Words are important enough to quibble over (and quibbling over them is fun). It seemed, given the conversation on this thread about the transient nature of zoot fashion: the quick mutations in the style and the fact that so few genuine articles are around today, ephemera was an appropriate choice. It does most often refer to things printed, but I have often seen it used in a more general sense to refer to anything that shares a similarly transient nature, which apparently zoot suits did/do!

Like you, I won't be posting a bid on this suit, but I hope it brings a great price at auction!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
What people forget about zoot suits is that it was a teenage style; most of those suits were not made to last, and where often worn to death, or refashioned into other garments.

Gene

Practically Family
What people forget about zoot suits is that it was a teenage style; most of those suits were not made to last, and where often worn to death, or refashioned into other garments.

Wasn't it first a style primarily worn by minorities, until middle American teens got ahold of it (some things never change....)?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Even those guys were teens. Of the Sleepy Lagoon defendants, I think the oldest kid was around 20, most of them were between 16 and 18.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner