Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myrtle Beach

miss lyssa

New in Town
Hey there ladies and fellas,

I will be in Myrtle Beach, SC for a month and wanted to know if there is anything fun to do in or around it? I know it's mainly a tourist area, and I will be working alot....but there must be something in the area.

I appriciate all the info.

Thanks a bunch....

Lyssa

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, you're right, it is a very touristy area, but there are some nice spots. Pawley's Island (it's not really an island), which is about 25 miles south of MYB is very nice and quiet, with some nice restaurants, and a very "Old Beach" feel. Some parts of North Myrtle are nice and quiet.

On 10/01/05, the Glenn Miller Orchestra is going to be at the Alabama Theater in North Myrtle. The orchestra is fantastic, but be prepared to be surrounded by old people that don't know how to dress well (expect shorts, flipflops, and tshirts). My wife and I will probably be there, as we were last year.

As for more specifics, I'll have to do some thinking, and I'll post again to this thread.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The ticketing part of their website is currently down, but I think I paid around $30/person last year for good seats. Let me know if you go, and we'll see about getting together for some eats.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While in the area ...

miss lyssa said:
...I will be in Myrtle Beach, SC for a month and wanted to know if there is anything fun to do in or around it? ...

Don't forget Wilmington, NC (an hour or less up the coast) and Charleston, SC (an hour or less down the coast). There are some really great places to eat in both cities. Also, there's the USS North Carolina in Wilmington, and the USS Yorktown in Charleston (both "vintage" things to see).

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, Charleston and Wilmington are much more "vintage" than the redneck riviera that is Myrtle Beach.

I don't know enough about Wilmington, but in Charleston, I'd recommend just walking around the Battery area below Broad Street. The area between Calhoun and Broad is nice as well. The city is built well for walking, and is relatively safe during the day.

Zach R.

Practically Family
The Waterfront(of the Cape Fear river) in Wilmington is supposedly a good place to walk, and they have a bunch of nice little stores.(I've only been walking on it once during a festival, and I go to Wilmington twice a week most weeks) :p

Definitely hit the USS North Carolina, I believe it is only like 8 bucks a person to get in(depends on the season). I've gone every year for the last 6 years in December, the best time to visit it IMO. They're taking it away and having it refurbished early next Spring, so if you don't go now you won't get a chance for a while.

Also, if you are interested in Civil War forts and early american settlements, Brunswick Town and Fort Fisher are pretty close too(Brunswick town is actually less than 6 miles from where I live)

Other than that, there isn't much to do in the lower quadrant of NC, unless you want to cruise over to the surrounding beaches.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
A note on the USS NC: I saw a story on the local news, might have been the paper, a little while back where they are going to start repairing some of the damage done from normal wear and tear over time.

The House of Blues has a Sunday Gospel brunch that I have never been to but it sounds fun.

If you're feeling touristy and like crab you can head over to the "Giant Crab" Resturant, all the crab legs you can eat.

As some people have mentioned there are a few tings you can drive to. The Citadel has parades on Friday (in Charleston), there is some very intresting Gullah stuff in Beaufort (that's Beau as in your boyfriend not Beau as in Bo like we call it in NC).

I don't usually do much in Myrtle Beach but get wet.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
What are your interests?

Myrtle Beach, in fact, is a very touristy place. However, there are a number of out-of-the-way and quirky attractions worth checking out.
Are you staying in Myrtle Beach proper, or will you be more in North Myrtle Beach, or southside around Garden City?
What do you like to do? I can give you some ideas for restaurants and shopping and hobby-type stuff.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
btw...

If there are this many of us posting in this thread, we need to have a get-together sometime.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Mr. Jason said:
A note on the USS NC: I saw a story on the local news, might have been the paper, a little while back where they are going to start repairing some of the damage done from normal wear and tear over time.

They actually finished redecking it and repainting the outside early this year: for the 6 previous years it was just bare, rusty deck and the paint was chipping pretty bad on the conning tower(I believe that is the term).

It looks great now though, better than ever. There is nothing like walking on freshly laid teak decking.

I believe the repairs you heard about were regarding the AA guns on the decks, over time careless tourists just tore them up firing at imaginary planes.

miss lyssa

New in Town
Snrbfshn said:
Myrtle Beach, in fact, is a very touristy place. However, there are a number of out-of-the-way and quirky attractions worth checking out.
Are you staying in Myrtle Beach proper, or will you be more in North Myrtle Beach, or southside around Garden City?
What do you like to do? I can give you some ideas for restaurants and shopping and hobby-type stuff.

Hi there,

I am not really sure where I will be staying as of yet. The company is putting me up in an apartment or hotel by the theatre I will be working at. I don't know the area at all, but I should find out quickly.

I am pretty much game for anything, but one thing that is a concern is that I am a vegaterian and I am not sure if there are any healthy restaurants in the area. Also, are there any good vintage shops around the area. I always like to check out them out in any city I am in. I am sure I will travel to other areas on my time off and hope to see as much as I can.

Thank you so much for your help. I appriciate it.

Lyssa

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Here's a start...

Lyssa,

The Myrtle Beach area is a kinda antique haven, but I've not been able to birddog up any vintage clothing places. A good place to start would be B&B Antique Shop & Mall, 1615 Highway 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, 843-361-0101. They are knowledgeable, and can give you leads on clothing places.

My guess is you're going to be staying close to "Broadway at the Beach," which is between Myrtle Beach proper and North Myrtle Beach. B&B Mall is on the right just a few miles north of there.

Most of the restaurants around you made their names with seafood, or worse, beef. I don't know about its vegetarian fare, but there is one of the best restaurants in the country right up the road from you in Little River, NC, just over the state line about 15 miles away. Called The Parson's Table, it's located in an historic old church building. The owners have rescued, collected and preserved vintage stain glass windows from other church buildings in the region, and added them in window-box fashion as part of the decor. It's a fabulous place for a meaningful meal. You'll need reservations, probably well ahead of time. http://www.parsonstable.com/

I'll check with some vegetarian friends and see what they do when they are down there.

I think I read in one of your posts you're doing the Rockettes tour. Are you also slated to be in the group coming to Charlotte Dec. 16-Jan. 1?

Good Luck in Myrtle Beach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou