Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myths of the Golden Era -- Exploded!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Occupy protests have valid concerns but no unifying battle cry. There's such little clarity that the movement has floundered, even without the help of a callous media.

No one is going to shed blood because a vague group of people (the so called 1%) make more money than the rest of us.

Moreoever, none of these Occupy protesters are being singled out for anything. In fact, they could go home and lead relatively mundane lives if they so chose.

The blacks were literally being beaten within inches of their lives, not to mention being publically lynched by citizens, military and police - and they still stood up as a shining beacon of perserverence. There's simply no comparison in intensity and tenacity. Show me an Occupy protester who has had a baton to the head and knee, crippling them, who comes back because there's nowhere else to go, and I'll show you the makings of a real protest.

As Lizzie mentioned, the day we start seeing Occupy protesters hanging Wall St. bankers from lamp poles, and police officers maimed by gunfire, and buildings being demolished in full-scale riots - then you'll start seeing change from the top down. This, naturally, would be preceded by a brutal crackdown including tens or hundreds of killed protesters. Tanks. Snipers. Unmanned drones. Then there's the FBI COINTELPRO programs which would resurface, putting hits out on protest leaders. Yeesh. I don't want to see it, but when it's necessary, it will happen.

As Lizzie mentioned, the day we start seeing Occupy protesters hanging Wall St. bankers from lamp poles, and police officers maimed by gunfire, and buildings being demolished in full-scale riots - then you'll start seeing change from the top down. This, naturally, would be preceded by a brutal crackdown including tens or hundreds of killed protesters. Tanks. Snipers. Unmanned drones. Then there's the FBI COINTELPRO programs which would resurface, putting hits out on protest leaders. Yeesh. I don't want to see it, but when it's necessary, it will happen.

That will never start a civil war because it would be over before it started. If you think predator drones that run out and take pictures of cattle rustlers would not be used to more effective means then you have another guess coming. Civil war is impossible because they would be on you like white on rice. :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Uhhh . . . I guess it's time for Bill O'Reilly and Rachel Maddow to pop up, because we sure seem to be getting political at this point. Can we get back to the (ahhhemmmm . . . clears throat ironically) "Golden Era"?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Occupy protests have valid concerns but no unifying battle cry. There's such little clarity that the movement has floundered, even without the help of a callous media.

No one is going to shed blood because a vague group of people (the so called 1%) make more money than the rest of us.

Moreoever, none of these Occupy protesters are being singled out for anything. In fact, they could go home and lead relatively mundane lives if they so chose.

The blacks were literally being beaten within inches of their lives, not to mention being publically lynched by citizens, military and police - and they still stood up as a shining beacon of perserverence. There's simply no comparison in intensity and tenacity. Show me an Occupy protester who has had a baton to the head and knee, crippling them, who comes back because there's nowhere else to go, and I'll show you the makings of a real protest.

I don't see where anyone compared Occupy Wall Street with the Civil Rights movement as far as either brutality or perseverance.

It's also morally wrong for someone to beat someone else. It doesn't matter if a person beats 1 person or 1,000 people, they are still morally wrong to beat someone. I've got to say, moral relativism has to be one of the things I like least about modern society. It's "ok" to go pepper spray some peaceful protesters or beat somebody up because this much more awful thing occurred in the past. Some people have the attitude: "We should just ignore it because what are those people whining about? They could have been paralyzed rather than just knocked unconscious! Or they could be dead! Why are they picking on their attacker- their attacker only beat one or two people!" Seriously, I weep for a society who has so little compassion for the people in it. It's no different to say that about an innocent protester now than it was for an innocent protester during the civil rights movement.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Uhhh . . . I guess it's time for Bill O'Reilly and Rachel Maddow to pop up, because we sure seem to be getting political at this point. Can we get back to the (ahhhemmmm . . . clears throat ironically) "Golden Era"?

Major General Smedley D. Butler:D

Has anyone here read his book?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
There was an officer who knew who ultimately sent him where and why...Too bad he didn't realize it earlier.

Well, perhaps it is for the best that our military leaders not second guess their civilian superiors until after they leave the service. I believe that this aspect of the American system has spared us much grief.

Some years ago about a dozen generals resigned in protest of the policies of the Adminstration that was in office at the time. In an unusual move the then-Secretary of Defense ordered their resignations classified so that the generals couldn't speak out even after they left the service.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Some years ago about a dozen generals resigned in protest of the policies of the Adminstration that was in office at the time. In an unusual move the then-Secretary of Defense ordered their resignations classified so that the generals couldn't speak out even after they left the service.

Have you any more information about this?

I have only heard reports of threatened resignations if a certain decision was made.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Yup, I had a couple problems with my truck a year or two ago and every time I took it in, it was a $500 bill. I finally asked them if they knew how to charge anything besides $500 on their cash register. Every time except once, I found out what was broke from them, then took it home and fixed it lol

I do like power windows, until they break. One in my Cadillac is tricky to roll up. The driver's one in my Mercury wagon has to be helped up and down, same with the passenger, and the tailgate window. The driver one in my Caprice wagon is off-track, and the rear-driver's side one is held up by a 2x4.
Cadillac? What model?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
"Absolutely. There hasn't been much violence because the Authorities know they have nothing to worry about from a bunch of underfed art-history majors. If the Occupiers had been true revolutionaries, there would unquestionably have been tanks in the street -- but there also would have been bankers swinging from every lamp post."

Occupy movement = astroturf. It's street theater meant to drain off and neutralize left wing anger just as the tea party is made to draw off and neutralize right wing anger.

Those who feel strongly about the government, banks, and wall street's robbing the country have something to join that is controlled and has no effect at all on events. Those who don't feel quite as strongly have something to cheer for. The media has something to laugh and sneer at. And the proles get the message not to mess with either one.

Story

I'll Lock Up
I think Fletch is absolutely right about the mood of things in 1932-33. The United States has never been closer to revolution, either from the Left or from the Right, than it was that fall and winter .

I dunno, Blair Mountain seems like it could give your chosen window a run for the money -

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?48213-The-Battle-of-Blair-Mountain-1921&

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Scare#First_Red_Scare_.281919.E2.80.931920.29

185157_10150965405159330_655373271_n.jpg

Do you have pictures of it anywhere?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21