Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myths of the Golden Era -- Exploded!

I am sure they are glad too. I just keep sending them to LA to live---where they can feel at home though. :p:rofl:

So that's where they all came from. :p:eusa_doh:

8_6_70_Yippies4.jpg

8_6_70_Yippies3.jpg

002_small.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Myth: There were no "hippies" in the Era.

natboys2.jpg

Eden "Nature Boy" Ahbez (lower left) with some of his followers, c. 1948.

Even the word "hippie" predates the sixties -- radio raconteur Jean Shepherd frequently used it in the late fifties to refer to the sort of Greenwich Village characters more often known as "beatniks."

Myth: There were no "hippies" in the Era.

natboys2.jpg

Eden "Nature Boy" Ahbez (lower left) with some of his followers, c. 1948.

Even the word "hippie" predates the sixties -- radio raconteur Jean Shepherd frequently used it in the late fifties to refer to the sort of Greenwich Village characters more often known as "beatniks."

And they were just as bad then as they were in the 60s and now. :p Same hippie different era. :p

p51

One Too Many
I live in the Puget Sound area, and now I know where all the hippies went when the 60s and 70s were over. Many of them moved here!
Growin up in the deep south in the early mid to late 70s as a child, I'd hear about hippies on the news but we never saw them at all. I realize now that not all women in the 20s were flappers, or all guys in the 80s were into punk, hippies probably represented a very small portion of American society.
One thing's for sure, they raised a generation equally clueless and I have to deal with them all the time here.

I live in the Puget Sound area, and now I know where all the hippies went when the 60s and 70s were over. Many of them moved here!
Growin up in the deep south in the early mid to late 70s as a child, I'd hear about hippies on the news but we never saw them at all. I realize now that not all women in the 20s were flappers, or all guys in the 80s were into punk, hippies probably represented a very small portion of American society.
One thing's for sure, they raised a generation equally clueless and I have to deal with them all the time here.

:rofl:
I have dealt with them for decades out here and it ain't pretty. :eusa_doh:

Keep spraying Daffy. Keep Spraying!
[video=youtube_share;G880gxjj9dI]http://youtu.be/G880gxjj9dI[/video]
Insane!

They are really screaming/crying because:
a) somebody stole their weed.
b) they are being forced to shave and shower (with soap and hot water).
c) they really really need attention.
d) no one is listening to them.
e) the camera is rolling.
f) no one cares.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
I sort of remember (tricky proposition!) a difference between beatnicks and hippies: beatnicks often had a thin veneer of intellectualism about them (bad poetry, bad art, and so forth), whereas hippies were typically interested in little more than getting stoned and avoiding showers.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Beatniks listened to jazz, preferably as dissonant as possible. Hippies listened to rock, preferably psychedelic. Meanwhile, there were the Folkies. They were parallel to, but separate from, the Beatniks, and of course listened to folk music.
The Beats traced their ancestry to right after WW II, or even during the war. The Folkies had predecesssors before the war (think Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger) but the modern folk movement can really trace its roots to the Weavers and Oscar Brand, in the late 40s.
The Hippies didn't emerge till Tim Leary and his pals started dropping acid around 1960.
And the Vietnam War pulled all these elements together into one big counter culture.

Last edited:

deco_droid

New in Town
They are really screaming/crying because:
a) somebody stole their weed.
b) they are being forced to shave and shower (with soap and hot water).
c) they really really need attention.
d) no one is listening to them.
e) the camera is rolling.
f) no one cares.

Oh man, love it!

Beatniks listened to jazz, preferably as dissonant as possible. Hippies listened to rock, preferably psychedelic. Meanwhile, there were the Folkies. They were parallel to, but separate from, the Beatniks, and of course listened to folk music.
The Beats traced their ancestry to right after WW II, or even during the war. The Folkies had predecesssors before the war (think Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger) but the modern folk movement can really trace its roots to the Weavers and Oscar Brand, in the late 40s.
The Hippies didn't emerge till Tim Leary and his pals started dropping acid around 1960.
And the Vietnam War pulled all these elements together into one big counter culture.

Hippies would say that they listened to "folk" music too. Bob Dylan etc. lol lol

Leary started experimenting with Psilocybin---on himself in 1960. Alan Ginsberg watched the reaction. That lead to LSD experimentation later and the propagation of it. It all snowballed at the Human Be In in San Franfreako in 1967. A friend of mine was there. He said it was the largest group of freaks he had seen in one place. :rofl:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I like walking in Old Growth Timber, I also like living in a Maple Paneled living room, There's a lot of empty space around the Midwest that could be planted in Trees, but NOOOO, we can't do that.

I think b. is out of the question, they were talking a little stoned. They may be eligible for some folk art Oscar too, that last chick that howled, that was SOME howl. I don't make that much noise when I slam my hand in the car door.

Later

That's what a friend of mine just told me about some arts and crafts fair in Madison.

He said "You wouldn't have liked it, too many hippies and weirdos. Largest group of freaks I've ever seen." lol

A friend of mine was there. He said it was the largest group of freaks he had seen in one place. :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy