Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naff today...

Brad, you don't own any Herb? And here I thought you were my kind of guy! lol But as for Whipped Cream an Other Delights, the cover's more famous than the content, for except for his cover of Love Potion No.9, it isn't one of Herb's better efforts. 'Going Places' is the best one to get, as it contains 'Tijuana Taxi' and 'Spanish Flea', as well as the best version of 'Walk, Don't Run' to ever be recorded by anyone on the planet.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Let's see?

Katt in Hat said:
Lincsong said:
:eusa_booh

"Dutch Reagen pardoned a record number of convicted felons who were members of his Administration. The record may be jeopardized by this President if all goes well."

Some debator...
Re: Gull wings; the 300 SLR (?) floored me upon first sighting.

Mark Rich... tax evader living in Switzerland. Former husband of huge Clinton backer, Denise Rich (also a gifted song writer) pardoned by Bill Clinton days before he left office. Not to mention a whole slew of other felons. Name the felons and crimes of members of the Gippers administration.:rolleyes: Please run the list of fantastic accomplishments of the glorious reign of Jimmy Carter. The 1980's... thanks Ronnie!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Name the felons and crimes of members of the Gippers administration.:rolleyes:
Here are two: Colonel Oliver North and Admiral John Poindexter.

"Oliver North and John Poindexter were indicted on multiple charges on March 16, 1988.

North, indicted on nine counts, was initially convicted of three minor counts, although the conviction was later vacated upon appeal on the grounds that North's Fifth Amendment rights may have been violated. The violation was said to be the indirect use of his testimony to Congress which had been given under a grant of immunity. Poindexter was convicted on several felony counts of lying to Congress, obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and altering and destroying documents pertinent to the investigation. His convictions were also overturned on appeal on similar grounds as North's. The Independent Counsel, Lawrence E. Walsh, chose not to re-try North or Poindexter."

Please run the list of fantastic accomplishments of the glorious reign of Jimmy Carter.
Here's one: the Camp David accords.

"Upon assuming office on January 20, 1977, President Carter moved to rejuvenate the Middle Eastern peace process that had stalled throughout the 1976 presidential campaign in the United States. Following the advice of a Brookings Institution report, Carter opted to replace the incremental, bilateral peace talks which had characterized Kissinger's shuttle diplomacy following the 1973 Yom Kippur War with a comprehensive, multilateral approach. This new approach called for the reconvening of the 1973 Geneva Conference, this time with a Palestinian delegation, in hopes of negotiating a final settlement ...

The Camp David Accords were signed by Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin on September 17, 1978, following twelve days of secret negotiations at Camp David. The two agreements were signed at the White House, and were witnessed by United States President Jimmy Carter.

There were two 1978 Camp David agreements: A Framework for Peace in the Middle East and A Framework for the Conclusion of a Peace Treaty between Egypt and Israel, the second leading towards the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty signed in March, 1979. The agreements and the peace treaty were both accompanied by "side-letters" of understanding between Egypt and the US and Israel and the US.

The success of Begin, Sadat, and Carter at Camp David demonstrated to other Arab states and entities that negotiations with Israel were possible — that progress results only from sustained efforts at communication and cooperation. Despite the disappointing conclusion of the 1993 Oslo Accords between the PLO and Israel, and even though the 1994 Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace has not fully normalized relations with Israel, both of these significant developments had little chance of occurring without the precedent set by Camp David."

Well since we're going back that far, why don't we talk about the accomplishments of James K. Polk? Polk bargained with England to establish the American border at the 49th Parallel. Did Reagan ever set a 49th Parallel? Polk declared war on Mexico. Did Reagan ever declare war on Mexico? No. We had to go through eight long years without once declaring war on Mexico or having a parallel set somewhere along our borders. So you can see why Polk was so much better a president than Reagan.

polk.gif

Hooray for Polk!

Regards,

Senator Jack

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Ahhh, the 80s

I hated the 1980s. I used to look back as it being an awful. I hated so much of the music. When The Wedding Singer came out I remember watching the movie and enjoying the songs in it. The I remembered that I actively hated those songs at the time of release.
I also now look back at the interesting thing done in comics and movies. There were some clever and fun Sci-fi (which is not my favorite genre) being made in the 1980s as well as action/adventure movies.
Nobody asked, but that's my opinion.;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Feraud

Bartender
I would suggest films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator, Blade Runner, Full Metal Jacket, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, and The Shining help redeem the decade. ;)

shamus

Suspended
Brad Bowers said:
The only thing I know about Herb Alpert is that my parents had an album with a cover featuring a young woman, apparently naked, slathered in whipped cream.

Never listened to the record, though.

Brad

Brad, is the the cover you remember?

cooper.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
shamus said:
Brad, is the the cover you remember?

Aaaggghhh! I'm going to have nightmares now!

Senator Jack said:
Brad, you don't own any Herb? And here I thought you were my kind of guy!
I guess I'm not cool enough.:(

But hey, Polk's da man! Isn't it about time to declare another war on Mexico?:p

Brad

Novella

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
I will say, though, that book design and packaging was at its absolute worst during the eighties. Books never ever looked so bad.

That is so true! I work at a library processing older books for storage so I've seen hundreds of books from a variety of periods. I've encountered books from 1769 to the late 1980s and the ones from the late 70s/80s are the most boring ugly books. It's almost a lack of style.

matei

One Too Many
I admit that I liked some of the music. Some of that really cheesy pop is quite good, and bands that I hated at the time I now respect.

Someone brought up several good films - including the Raiders trilogy - I overlooked that.

Hmmm... so perhaps it wasn't bad!

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
The one thing that I miss about the 80's (aside from my hair) is the Armani Suits. I had a Double-Breasted, Gaberdine suit in a dark khaki color. The only bad points were the besom pockets and the four-to-two button front. I wish that I still had it (and could fit into a 44L!). It made me look and feel like a bad guy in the old Superman TV series.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
herringbonekid said:
sorry to pull you up about this one, but i believe that you can only truly feel 'nostalgia' for something you actually lived through. if i play a duke ellington tune from the 30s i'm experiencing it as if for the first time, because i haven't heard it before and i wasn't around in the 30s (this is a good thing too, because i'm objectively hearing it for what it is, rather than what it reminds me of when i was a young man. this proves to me that it IS actually real quality and not just a misty-eyed trip down memory lane).

so in defence of trashy 80s fashions seen on people who are too young to remember....they are trying those things out for the first time too.
i just wish they wouldn't.
Actually, I think its very common to feel nostalgia for an era you didn’t live through, as I’m sure many Loungers can testify! You only have to read a few books and see a few films when young and impressionable.

Nostalgia for the recent past – your own childhood obviously, but also the period just before it - is particularly common. A kid who reads books about the past, hears adults talking about it, see the films, hear mum’s record collection etc can soon become fascinated by it, and in adulthood this fascination becomes part of personal childhood memory, even though you weren’t actually there.

For example, many British males of my generation are deeply nostalgic about the WW2 era. As kids the closest we came to hearing the tribal elders telling the foundation myths round the campfire was when adults talked about the war – as they often did. Personally I soaked it all up. The uncle whose hair went white at Dunkirk. Dad, Grandad and other local men trying to join up on Sept 3rd 1939 and being turned away (they went back to organize a local volunteer force that became the nucleus of the Home Guard). Mum sitting in a stationary train on a viaduct that was being used as the aiming point for a German air raid. The German pilot who died in his plane so it wouldn’t crash on the village. I could go on….! We were soaked in the war: we read books about it, saw films about it, played in our fathers old army kit in the old pillboxes and on the bomb sites….we weren’t there yet it was a profoundly formative part of our childhood.

It works the same way with old music. You mention Duke Ellington: I grew up with the sounds of the Duke floating through my bedroom floorboards as I drifted off to sleep! Of course, I thought it was boring and old fashioned: I wanted Elvis. When I discovered the Duke for myself as a young musician it was, as for you, very fresh. I appreciated it as music. Yet certain numbers still have a profoundly nostalgic effect on me, especially Stevedore Stomp and East St Louis Tooddle-oo, my dad’s favourites.

BTW - Jack - Herb Alpert? !HERB ALPERT????!!! yOU JOKING!! is this post-modern irony?

Or maybe I missed something. OK, I'll listen again. But only once.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
nightandthecity said:
For example, many British males of my generation are deeply nostalgic about the WW2 era. As kids the closest we came to hearing the tribal elders telling the foundation myths round the campfire was when adults talked about the war – as they often did. Personally I soaked it all up. The uncle whose hair went white at Dunkirk. Dad, Grandad and other local men trying to join up on Sept 3rd 1939 and being turned away (they went back to organize a local volunteer force that became the nucleus of the Home Guard). Mum sitting in a stationary train on a viaduct that was being used as the aiming point for a German air raid. The German pilot who died in his plane so it wouldn’t crash on the village. I could go on….! We were soaked in the war: we read books about it, saw films about it, played in our fathers old army kit in the old pillboxes and on the bomb sites….we weren’t there yet it was a profoundly formative part of our childhood.

It works the same way with old music. You mention Duke Ellington: I grew up with the sounds of the Duke floating through my bedroom floorboards as I drifted off to sleep! Of course, I thought it was boring and old fashioned: I wanted Elvis. When I discovered the Duke for myself as a young musician it was, as for you, very fresh. I appreciated it as music. Yet certain numbers still have a profoundly nostalgic effect on me, especially Stevedore Stomp and East St Louis Tooddle-oo, my dad’s favourites.

What a great story! As I grew up in the 70's, I remember thinking how cool it was that the War was only 30 years ago. Why a kid would think that, I don't know, but it seemed to me that something that big and world-changing, to be so relatively RECENT, was very cool. Maybe it's just the history buff in me that was getting an early start. I remember hating bell-bottoms and hip-huggers the first time around, when I was 10. But before anyone applauds my innate fashion sense, I must come clean and say that I SO wanted to look like Madonna (first album only) and actually went to the theatre to see her awful movie. So sorry!

Does anyone remember a brief resurgence of 40's style during the 80's? Or am I wrong--big shoulder pads in women's suits, etc? It wasn't very authentic, but I seem to recall it....or was I watching too much MTV at the time to remember correctly?!

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Forties/Eighties

Does anyone remember a brief resurgence of 40's style during the 80's? Or am I wrong--big shoulder pads in women's suits, etc?

No, absolutely right. For better or worse...

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone remember a brief resurgence of 40's style during the 80's? Or am I wrong--big shoulder pads in women's suits, etc? It wasn't very authentic, but I seem to recall it....or was I watching too much MTV at the time to remember correctly?!

I remember that. Early 80s, died out when the sixties came back. Here are some album covers that reveal that 40s revivial thing:

radiosilence.jpg

motels_robf.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
*just remembered* I had pictures of Jon Bon Jovi ALL over my room as a teeny bopper....absolutely loved the guy, made sure I kissed him flat on the mouth every night before bed, my friends thought I was hilarious. Now it kills me thinking how much I had a crush on such a 'pretty boy':)
jbj.ht29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany