Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naff today...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm the world's biggest Kraftwerk fan...those dapper technopops.

kraftwerkgroupshot.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
What about The Smiths/Morrissey...?
Not mentioned so far.

I did/do like them/him

...(snip)...

He's a sharp dressing Man...

B
T

I always liked, and still do like, his style but never liked The Smiths as a band. As nightandthecity said I just wanted to give him a shake...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In the '80s, I listened to:

-- Devo
-- Talking Heads
-- Dead Kennedys
-- The Clash
-- X
-- Black Flag
-- Rancid
-- Social Distortion
-- English Beat (ska)
-- Souxie and the Banshees
-- Joy Division
-- Sonic Youth
-- The Psychedelic Furs
-- The Cure
-- The Pixies
-- Sandy Duncan's Eye
-- The Pretenders (rarely)
-- Bauhaus
-- The Damned
-- The Jesus and Mary Chain
-- Echo and the Bunnymen
-- Flesh For Lulu
-- 45 Grave
-- Clan of Xymox
-- Dead Can Dance
-- Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel
-- The Meat Puppets
-- They Might Be Giants
-- Alien Sex Fiend
-- (vintage) Screamin' Jay Hawkins

And lots of classical music.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I try to only write about Golden Era but since I started

M. Chevalier, I knew of most of those groups because of my friend, Sten.
Screamin' Jay Hawkins I had already known about because of my father.

To the Duran Duran fans, I got really sick of "Hungry Like the Wolf" because people would always play it on the jukebox in my honor and I OD'd fast.

The Wolf

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
The Wolf said:
To the Duran Duran fans, I got really sick of "Hungry Like the Wolf" because people would always play it on the jukebox in my honor and I OD'd fast.

I can sympathise. In certain circles my radio callsign is "Wabbit." Unfortunately a couple of guys named Chas 'n' Dave recorded a song by the same name during the eighties. Imagine my joy every time I hear it now.

The same applies to Flanagan and Allen's "Run Rabbit Run" and certain parts of "What's Opera Doc?" (but it's still my favourite cartoon).

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
-The Clash
-Cowboy Junkies
-Talking Heads
-Cowboy Junkies
-Tom Waits

And speaking of great things from the 80s,

me. Circa 1984.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Joy Division had their moments - Love Will Tear Us Apart is possibly my favourite 80s song (except it was first recorded in 1979 but you know what I mean...)

Salv said:
Yes, but ... Duran Duran just ripped off every move Spandau Ballet ever made. Spandau Ballet were based in London while Duran Duran were based in Birmingham - those 100 miles made all the difference as to whether you set the styles or followed them, and Duran Duran were definitely followers.

(dons flame proof suit, and awaits the barrage...;))

Heheheheh! That is why they are still around and Spandau Ballet are where? Who are they following now? lol
I have to admit that I liked their first Album with True on it. The well dressed similarity is where it ends though. Their style is totally different. I could just see Spandau Ballet singing Wild Boys---yeah right. ;)

Regards,

J

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Powerstation? Sure that was a great project. He had plenty of good stuff on his own as well. Riptide on the Powerstation Album was very vintage.

The Power Station album was a lot of fun, and as he got older he moved more toward a vintage style and let his life-long love of early blues music come to the fore. Being that little bit older than most of the eighties pop figures (he was born in 1949), he grew up listening to that sort of thing and wanted to introduce more people to it.

He's also responsible for my initial interest in suits as a teenager.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
and that's just it James, you've gotta have been a teenage girl to fully appreciate it ;)
Thank goodness tastes change! In the words of Aerosmith, 'dude looks like a lady'

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
In the '80s, I listened to:

-- Devo
-- Talking Heads
-- Dead Kennedys
-- The Clash
-- X
-- Black Flag
-- Rancid
-- Social Distortion
-- English Beat (ska)
-- Souxie and the Banshees
-- Joy Division
-- Sonic Youth
-- The Psychedelic Furs
-- The Cure
-- The Pixies
-- Sandy Duncan's Eye
-- The Pretenders (rarely)
-- Bauhaus
-- The Damned
-- The Jesus and Mary Chain
-- Echo and the Bunnymen
-- Flesh For Lulu
-- 45 Grave
-- Clan of Xymox
-- Dead Can Dance
-- Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel
-- The Meat Puppets
-- They Might Be Giants
-- Alien Sex Fiend
-- (vintage) Screamin' Jay Hawkins

And lots of classical music.

I'm sorry, but I find it scary that you can make such a LONG list about 80's music! Of course, I drank back then, so maybe that's why my list is not nearly so long:eek: Oh, but the P.Furs!!! And The Fixx and Tears for Fears !! And Simple Minds!! I touched Jim Kerr on the foot during a concert at the (in)famous Bronco Bowl in Dallas. Those were the days! Or so they seemed! And I used to love the Police, but now every time I see Sting I'm almost nauseous. And speaking of nauseous, did you know there's some new pre-teen group called something like Devo 2 and they have re-recorded Devo tunes. Yikes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes