Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nail Varnish Colours

melanie

One of the Regulars
I read somewhere, that women of the 40s and 50s would do thier nails to match their outfits, and that they had colours like yellow and blue, is this true?

I love doing my nails in red, which is very vintage, but what other colours could I get away with for a vintage look?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
melanie said:
I read somewhere, that women of the 40s and 50s would do thier nails to match their outfits, and that they had colours like yellow and blue, is this true?

I love doing my nails in red, which is very vintage, but what other colours could I get away with for a vintage look?

As it happens, I was just reading this book and he quoted a fashion magazine telling women to look for peach, yellow, green and blue polish.

Other people will know better, but I am pretty sure pearl/shimmer sort of colours were invented in the 50s, so those colours with 40s clothes would be anachronistic.

melanie

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
As it happens, I was just reading this book and he quoted a fashion magazine telling women to look for peach, yellow, green and blue polish.

Other people will know better, but I am pretty sure pearl/shimmer sort of colours were invented in the 50s, so those colours with 40s clothes would be anachronistic.

I have been meaning to buy that book, thanks for the info. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Melanie, almost any topic you can think of has already been covered here. Please search!!!

These are only some of the threads you will find if you run an advanced search for "manicure", "manicures", "nail" and "nails"

Vintage Manicures - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13588
Manicures - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50956
Does Your Lipstick Have To Match Your Nail Color? - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50051
Recommended Vintage-esque Nail Polish - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9328

Edward

Bartender
In Cabaret (the stage show, I don't recall if it's in the (very different) film), Sally Bowles makes a bit deal out of her green nail varnish. The events of the show take place mostly during 1931... I believe The Berlin Stories were published in 1946, and I think (from memory) that Sally's green nail varnish did make an appearance in Goodbye to Berlin, so it is possible that it was around in the thirties.... Isherwood's fiction was semi-autobiographical, and it seems reasonable that this sort of detail would have been period-accurate when he was writing circa fifteen years later.

Edited to add: the combined volume was published in 1946, but Goodbye to Berlin itself (in which Sally Bowles appears) was, I have just read, first published in 1939. That being the case, if my memory is correct and she wears green nail varnish in the book too, it would suggest that it was at least available back in the thirties....

melanie

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Melanie, almost any topic you can think of has already been covered here. Please search!!!

These are only some of the threads you will find if you run an advanced search for "manicure", "manicures", "nail" and "nails"

Vintage Manicures - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13588
Manicures - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50956
Does Your Lipstick Have To Match Your Nail Color? - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50051
Recommended Vintage-esque Nail Polish - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9328

Please lay off! I understand that a lot of threads are going here, but although I like to read about stuff, I also like to chat, which is one of the reasons I start new threads instead of just reading old threads.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Edward said:
In Cabaret (the stage show, I don't recall if it's in the (very different) film), Sally Bowles makes a bit deal out of her green nail varnish. The events of the show take place mostly during 1931... I believe The Berlin Stories were published in 1946, and I think (from memory) that Sally's green nail varnish did make an appearance in Goodbye to Berlin, so it is possible that it was around in the thirties.... Isherwood's fiction was semi-autobiographical, and it seems reasonable that this sort of detail would have been period-accurate when he was writing circa fifteen years later.

Edited to add: the combined volume was published in 1946, but Goodbye to Berlin itself (in which Sally Bowles appears) was, I have just read, first published in 1939. That being the case, if my memory is correct and she wears green nail varnish in the book too, it would suggest that it was at least available back in the thirties....

It is in the movie - she waggles her fingers and says "Divine Decadence". It's a lovely rich peacock colour. I haven't read the story in years though.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
melanie said:
Please lay off! I understand that a lot of threads are going here, but although I like to read about stuff, I also like to chat, which is one of the reasons I start new threads instead of just reading old threads.

So you bump up the old threads and keep them alive and fresh.

melanie

One of the Regulars
Yeah, but if what I want to know has already been covered, then there is no need for me to ask questions, so then I wont be able to chat, does that make sense?

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
melanie said:
Yeah, but if what I want to know has already been covered, then there is no need for me to ask questions, so then I wont be able to chat, does that make sense?

It does make sense but that's just not the way it works on forums. Your threads will end up getting locked meaning you can't reply again or merged with the existing threads meaning you can chat but you may as well have replied to the original thread instead of making a new one. lol

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
melanie said:

I'm fairly new too, but it seems ok to repeat stuff that's already been covered as people do forget and it means the newbies to the forum can join in again and recover issues.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Melanie, I understand that you're here to chat, but a lot of people here use the Fedora Lounge as a resource for research, which becomes a lot more difficult when things aren't concentrated and organized. Many other forums work that way, but the Fedora Lounge does not work the way any other forum online does! It's OK to chat here, but you'll find that happens a lot when old threads are revived.

This is from the FAQ at the top of this forum:

"5. Unlike a lot of boards around the internet, here at the Lounge we *encourage* members to dig deep and bring old threads back to the top when there are new questions or new information to add. We take pride in the Lounge's reputation as a quality resource for vintage topics, and we urge you to search first if you're looking for something specific. A tutorial on searching the Lounge can be found *here*.

To keep things organized, the Bartenders will often merge newly-created threads or blocks of posts into earlier threads dealing with similar topics. If this happens to your thread, consider it your addition to a valuable archive of vintage information!"

Puzzicato

One Too Many
melanie said:

I think you are ignoring the dynamic nature of the world. Just because the same question was asked in 2006 doesn't mean the answer is the same! A new member may have information that wasn't around before, a book may have come out that changes perspectives, a product may have been reformulated or discontinued or re-released. Loads of material to chat about, while still keeping with the culture of the forum that the bartenders have established and you agreed to when you signed up.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I must admit - I can see where there could be confusion. There are many topics here that cover the same thing and they're kept open.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
i_am_the_scruff said:
I must admit - I can see where there could be confusion. There are many topics here that cover the same thing and they're kept open.

Of course. I attribute this to the fact that the bartenders all have normal jobs and lives outside of the FL and can only spend so much time policing this forum and consolidating threads :)

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Of course. I attribute this to the fact that the bartenders all have normal jobs and lives outside of the FL and can only spend so much time policing this forum and consolidating threads :)

For sure! I wasn't complaining though, just saying :)

melanie

One of the Regulars
i_am_the_scruff said:

thank you, I am so pleased that someone see's the same as I do. :)

I totally understand where your all coming from with not wanting new threads made, so I will search, but I will not be spending half my day searching for something, I will just post a new thread if I can not find what I am looking for quickly, as, in my opinion, if this forum is so well organised, then the threads should be easier to find, I mean, I type in the search bar what I am looking for, and a whole host of stuff comes up, just because those threads have a word in that I may be searching for, result, it takes ages to find what I am looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw