Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name the year?

casper

New in Town
What year was this Lancaster photographed? Whereabouts? What year was she made?

article-0-124CDF59000005DC-764_964x604.jpg

This year sees a very special event for Bomber Command, here in the United Kingdom, 1939 - 1945

Casper

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
judging by the uniforms and the model Lancaster, I would take an educated guise that the photo was taken some time during March 2012! Lincolnshire. MK X. 1945!

casper

New in Town
judging by the uniforms and the model Lancaster, I would take an educated guise that the photo was taken some time during March 2012! Lincolnshire. MK X. 1945!

Well done :eusa_doh:

They are getting ready for the unveiling of the Bomber Command statue in London in the summer, where this aircraft will be part of the celebrations!

Casper :eusa_clap

Worf

I'll Lock Up
To paraphrase that great American philosopher "Daffy Duck"....

"Big Bomb!"

Worf

PS I thought the Brits didn't "do" nose art. Or to put it in their lingo "just isn't done old man."

casper

New in Town
Worf,

I think they did use nose art but the USAAF was the main user of the genre. I suspect that the art was as much to reassure the crew as state any ''message'' to the enemy as such. Often movie stars and cartoon characters adorned these planes as well as the number of mission flown or in the case of fighters the number of 'kills' confirmed.

I thought I'd catch a few people out with this. As was stated this particular Lancaster was finished in April 1945 and never flew in anger over Germany. It was made at the tail end of WW2.

The statue for the Bomber Command aircrew (being unveiled in London this summer) is most probably 67 years too late in some respects, but at least we've got round to honouring these brave men at last!

Casper

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I understand how you feel. 67 years too late and a dollar short. Still, better late than never. Knowing what we do now about what Hitler and others really had in mind back then, no amount of thanks is "too much".

Worf

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
is the kit bag legit?
Very good group photo! Is the big bomb a Wallis design?
I think the book "Ready for Duty" has examples of Brit nose art....toned downed of course...
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21