• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Name the year?

Discussion in 'WWII' started by casper, Mar 25, 2012.

1. casper

casper New in Town

What year was this Lancaster photographed? Whereabouts? What year was she made?

This year sees a very special event for Bomber Command, here in the United Kingdom, 1939 - 1945

2. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

judging by the uniforms and the model Lancaster, I would take an educated guise that the photo was taken some time during March 2012! Lincolnshire. MK X. 1945!
  3. casper

casper New in Town

Well done :eusa_doh:

They are getting ready for the unveiling of the Bomber Command statue in London in the summer, where this aircraft will be part of the celebrations!

Casper :eusa_clap
  4. Swing Motorman

Swing Motorman One of the Regulars

Haha... I love how you presented this, you had me entirely fooled!
  5. Worf

Worf My Mail is Forwarded Here

To paraphrase that great American philosopher "Daffy Duck"....

"Big Bomb!"

PS I thought the Brits didn't "do" nose art. Or to put it in their lingo "just isn't done old man."
  6. casper

casper New in Town

I think they did use nose art but the USAAF was the main user of the genre. I suspect that the art was as much to reassure the crew as state any ''message'' to the enemy as such. Often movie stars and cartoon characters adorned these planes as well as the number of mission flown or in the case of fighters the number of 'kills' confirmed.

I thought I'd catch a few people out with this. As was stated this particular Lancaster was finished in April 1945 and never flew in anger over Germany. It was made at the tail end of WW2.

The statue for the Bomber Command aircrew (being unveiled in London this summer) is most probably 67 years too late in some respects, but at least we've got round to honouring these brave men at last!

7. Worf

Worf My Mail is Forwarded Here

I understand how you feel. 67 years too late and a dollar short. Still, better late than never. Knowing what we do now about what Hitler and others really had in mind back then, no amount of thanks is "too much".

8. casper

casper New in Town

9. Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer Practically Family

is the kit bag legit?
    Very good group photo! Is the big bomb a Wallis design?
    I think the book "Ready for Duty" has examples of Brit nose art....toned downed of course...