Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Names for different hat styles

HistWardrobe

Vendor
Does anybody know what the period term for the 1930s-early 40s hat style that sort of looks like something Robin Hood or Peter Pan might wear? Here's an example, posted by Marc Chevalier in his thread on "The Way We Wore"
IMG_3066_edited-1.jpg

Love this style but am not sure of the correct terminology for it.

Also, are those late 30s - early 40s ladies fedoras with the slightly pointed crown, and slanted shaping (shorter brim in back than in front) properly termed fedoras or did they have another name? Here's an example, one of my favorite eBay finds, ca. 1938
kc1938-hat.JPG

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good question-

Here's one you might fancy, from 1938- a total exaggeration and 'fashion' interpretation of the Robin Hood/Tyrolian/Alpine style and very cool indeed.
All felt, complete with felt 'feather'.

"Canadian Tyrolean style green felt and rust suede hat, c. 1938"
(EDIT* This is the caption for the original image:)

1937-1.jpg

B
T

decodoll

Practically Family
I adore that hat, BellyTank!!!!

HistWardrobe, I believe that style would be called a Tyrolean as BellyTank said or a Swagger hat.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
haha, I was looking at the Vogue pattern for a hat like that yesterday. Those styles are too cute.

Oh, my, was it a vintage pattern or a reproduction? I'm always in awe of 30's hats!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That may be one of the most remarkable hats I have ever seen! I'll run down the hall and see if my hat book has the name for that style.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, It looks like it's just called a Fedora, but if it has a shorter brim with a tall crown it's called a Tyrolean, or Alpine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn