Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nazi and Soviet Medallions

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
800px-Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto.jpg

Since we are only to talk about collections, regalia and uniforms here, I will take you attention to the soldierers in the right side of the photograph.
(Do not look at the rest of the photo!)
Look how smartly and yet again practical the soldiers are dressed. Please also observe the one standing in the door - this officer has several medals.

Edit: Sorry - I meant "Unterofficier"

Maguire

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Know your Regalia, Spitfire- the one in the doorway is only an NCO.
They look like SS-Polizei. But then I don't know.

Obviously a bunch of dangerous criminals there...:(

B
T
I was going to point that out but i figured it would just dig me an even deeper grave. so i'm glad it was you, pally.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Intrigues me in a way that the Soviet stuff doesn't seem to have the same level of negativity attached to it as the Third reich stuff, but then the war has been kept very alive in the popular imagination ever since, and the Russians fought on the side of the Allies, so perhaps that buys the Soviets a little indulgence?

I've been wondering this myself Edward, it seems a forgotten fact that Russia also invaded Poland (and Finland too.) I guess that the Soviet empire
rumbled on long after 1945, so there is a broader backdrop for the production of these items and what they represent. It's a naivety on my part, but I'm as likely to think of Yuri Gagarin or Battleship Potemkin as I am about Katyn Forest or Solzenitzen. Whereas Germany between 1933-1945 is a far more clearly defined timeline and the consequences of it very apparent for everybody to see, if they wish to look. Such as to the left of Spitfire's photograph. Which says it all really. Where is the dichotomy?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
God forbid.

Couldn't agree more, but it seems inevitable. You don't get many ceremonies
for the English Civil War, but that struggle completely altered the course of
our history. Rough estimates for loss of population - England 3.7%,
Scotland 6%, Ireland 41%. To my shame, I couldn't even give you the dates without looking (just did, 1642-1651) To me it's dry history but I can't say I'm proud about that. Apologies for being:eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes