Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice: Know nothing about Fedoras

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
I would like to purchase a fedora. I don't know how often I'll wear it but I'm looking for a black one that will match a private detective noir style. I'm looking for something that goes well with my black trench. Cost $100 or less. Maybe something similar to the lounge logo lol

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Before you buy anything online or on ebay, be certain of your hat size. Before I got my first hat I did the measure-yourself-with-a-tape-measure thing, with different tape measures, string, etc, and always came up with a 7 1/8 hat size. I was absolutely certain. I walked into a hat shop and the first thing the salesman said to me was "you look like a 7 1/4 to me"...and he was right. If you are anywhere near a hat shop, even if all they sell is western hats, go there and get fitted so you know your size.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
At a $100 or less, your choices will be limited. Most will not be good for wearing in the rain and snow. If you're brave enough to shape the crown yourself, the absolute best buy for the money (and then some) is the Akubra Federation IV, sold only by hatsdirect.com

The shipping will put you over $100, but the hat is well worth the price. They handle bad weather very well, and can be shaped much like the Lounge logo.

Your other option is a second hand Stetson (do not pay full price if you can avoid it), like the Downs model. Also, maybe Biltomore brand (also second hand to keep you in the (price you want). Both have had mixed results reported regarding wet weather durability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS