Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advise: Do these slacks go with this jacket?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I can't decide if I think this combo works or not, some feedback would be nice, thanks!*

*as a rule I think navy/blues work well with brown, but in this specific instance, these slacks are a blues with a cool charcoal tint, so I cannot decide.

Thanks fellas!

Here's a shot with lots of natural light:
oflash.jpg

And, here's an indoor light/flash:
flash.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If you had maybe a solid rust brown shirt, or some other interesting darkish colored shirt, not white, it might enhance it. Or even a plaid shirt.
BTW, nice dresser, lamp and especially the Chinese Art Deco rug.

sproily

Practically Family
I so love the deco dresser! *wants*:eusa_clap

Oh, ontopic.

I think it looks great. I'd also use something like a cream shirt with it.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe, they don't REALLY care about the clothes because the background is so distracting ;) -- so maybe you should post photos of your perfectly outfitted apartment on the Show Us Your Vintage Homes thread. (If you gents are impressed now...)

I'm terribly jealous. :p

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
er... Yes

It looks to me, on this monitor, like the jacket is a brick-ish shade of brown and the trousers
are a blue-ish shade of grey. Very gaberdine-y shades.

I would say they compliment, a YES but it is a "certain", sporty look which many would consider
out of the ordinary- those who don't know better and think '70s, bad.
You will no doubt get a lot of "ooh.... don't know about that..., are you sure..?".
It definitely has something of the Rockabilly/late '50s to it. A gaberdine look.

You need some mighty fancy shoes and a gab shirt to pull that one off.
Bucks, even, Elvis.

Some people say NO to blue+brown but I believe it really depends on the shades of each,
probably textures and pattern, too.
"Brown" is not just brown and "blue" is not just blue.

But remember, rules are guides for people with no clue-

This thread has just reminded me how much I dislike suits.

BTW, I hate your decor- ;)

B
T

Torpedo

One Too Many
My take on it is that it does not work. The grey is not really neutral, but bluish, a cold tone, and the brown has a red tinge (brick-ish, as already said by BTank, defines it well too), more of a warm tone. Judging from the pics, the brown is earthy, but the grey is not, nor is it neutral.

In my opinion, because of the above, they clash.

Maybe the choice of the rest of clothes, as sproily and dhermann suggested, could help the balance, but I am not convinced.

Regards!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wow, thanks for all the advise...

..and I'm glad ya'll like the decor to - it's actually pretty easy to furnish your house with vintage when it's a tiny SF apartmentlol! The "wireless" is actually modern AM/FM/CD player (Emerson made it for about 5 minutes a few years ago).

Usually I match dark sports coat/light slacks or vice-versa. But I've been looking to try something new.

Paddy & torpedo, do you guys think maybe true navy slacks would work better?

funneman

Practically Family
I like the combination.

I think a tie that contains both shades of brown and grey
would really pull it all together.

Scour the thrift stores wearing the combo and see what you can find.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
In my opinion, because of the above, they clash.

CLASH may not be the perfect term, clash is more a case of
close but no banana- pink and red clash.
Complimentary, I believe. Complimentary colours can be from opposite sides of "the colour wheel"
and if they are not too bright, can work respectably together.
It's like contrast in colour but not TOO much.

This particular version of Goethe's Colour Wheel suits me, here,
with the colours in question-

GoetheFarbkreis.jpg

See the brick-brown and the grey-blue, opposite?
That's complimetary- the colours either side of the colours in question would be
clashing with them. A pairing of warm and cold colours need not clash but a pairing of
cold and cold, or warm and warm can. Pink and red.

I think this "discussion" has a lot of room in it.
I'm sure some people have never even thought of (such a crazy thing as)
combining these two shades, saying NO is easy, if it's unfamiliar.
And I'm sure that there are those who generally don't like the colours,
neither individually, nor paired. But I'm not aware of any "good" rule,
as to why it can't work.

It's what you DO with it- it can't be worn as a suit, it's sportswear.
Judicious with that axe, Jerome.

B
T

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never been a "mix blue and brown" guy. I could see cream or tan going with the jacket just find, or as mentioned, charcoal or a really pale gray. But the blue cast of the trousers with the red brown's not something I would do.

But if you're inclined, give it a shot. Just because it's not me doesn't mean it's not you. I remember at a club in Hollywood in the 70s chicks with strategically placed 45s glued to their bodies as clothes. I saw a guy in his 70s at the theater this weekend in gold lame stretch pants, a Hawaiian shirt, tweed jacket, Panama and Miami Vice shades. Just a few outfits I'd never consider wearing, and yet, others think they're the bees' knees.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, use your imagination-

I'm not sure I'm totally wild about it either but I can see the potential for an outfit and it screams Gaberdine. The jacket and pants look just SO 1957/58.
Depends how drapey the slacks are.

But the owner might not want that particular look...
Thanks, you two, for some back-up!

Trying to be positive on this one...

I wonder what Resortes would say about this...

B
T

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I think the jacket may be a little earlier than 57/58ish. It has a '49 union tag, though, so it definitely could fall within that period. Something about the peaked lapels says earlier to me - maybe I'm wrong - but peaked lapel single breasts are something I associate 30's/40's.

I agree that beige/tan/camel pants would work well, also...but in this case I'm wanting to try something new and a little "risky." I think I'm gonna go with Hollywood waist navy gabardine slacks, brown/white spectators, a pink 40's nylon dress, and a tie as yet to be determined...thanks fellas.

BellyTank said:
I'm not sure I'm totally wild about it either but I can see the potential for an outfit and it screams Gaberdine. The jacket and pants look just SO 1957/58.
Depends how drapey the slacks are.

But the owner might not want that particular look...
Thanks, you two, for some back-up!

Trying to be positive on this one...

I wonder what Resortes would say about this...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou